Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Caim

Arcane
1920s is obvious next step in setting from 1890s. 1900s and early 1910s don't change enough (either in tech or giving room for it to not be a direct sequel), and mid 1910s has a very obvious problem.
>he does not want to fight in Wizard World War I

Did you have to get an education to formulate opinions that are this shit?

soulburner

Cipher
So... is the version from torrents any good? Last time I checked someone wrote the cracker added some of her own graphical tweaks...

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
i hate niggers and trannies and kikes
how, owlscat? how?
FHReSGz.jpeg

(also fuck you owlscat, i spent at least 2 hours clicking on your imbecilic pointless garbage colony shit game just to get a psyker helmet, fuck you and kill yourselves)
Plays Idira.
:hahyou:

One trend I noticed over the years is that Live service games are like “e-sports games” and movie trilogies: they are either something that happens organically (i.e. a somewhat unexpected success story that keeps ballooning) or something that gets planned from the get go and more often than not turns into a complete stinker no one asked for.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's not 2004 anymore, and there are way too many live service games competing for everyone's attention. The single player market is ripe, and the only thing holding developers back from capitalizing on it is their own ineptitude. Every time a single player AAA game releases and it's not comically terrible, it makes a shitzillion dollars.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's almost like even the most brain-dead consoomers hate trash games made entirely to slowly leech money from its playerbase.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Nikke is pretty garbage gameplay and story-wise. The novelty of shaking buttocks can only carry your game so far. Sunk cost is the only reason I can imagine people still playing it.

thesecret1

Arcane
The companies hate the uncertainty that comes with the model: "Will next year be profitable? Depends on if the game we're making is successful. Will it be successful? We don't fucking know."

Live service promises a lot more predictable and longer-term revenue, hence them trying their utmost to get on that train.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Hogwarts Legacy 2 Is Probably Going to Be Live Service – WB Says AAA Console Market Isn’t Enough​

https://wccftech.com/hogwarts-legac...rvice-wb-says-aaa-console-market-isnt-enough/
Warner Brothers board members are a bunch of retards at this point. They fucked up DC, damaged the HBO brand, released the failed live service called the Suicide Squad, and now after their single most popular game release in ages - Hogwart's Legacy, they want to ruin it too, by choosing a path for its sequel they've already failed at.

What a bunch of clowns. Why are they getting paid millions of $? It's not like they're creating anything but losses for their company.

Ah. So much for capitalism choosing the best people for the job.

Caim

Arcane
While it is possible to make a shitload of money by properly monetizing the Harry Potter fanbase, going live service is not the way to do that.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
While it is possible to make a shitload of money by properly monetizing the Harry Potter fanbase, going live service is not the way to do that.

This. Harry Potter is popular among people who grew up when the books and movies were being released, many of these grew-up along with the characters. These people are now working, many of them have families and most of them are not hardcore gamers. Hogwar's Legacy was such a stunning success precisely because people who don't really play video games bought it. They cannot in any way be converted into a crowd that would support one game for years. At the same time people who would be interested in GAAS i.e children and dudebros don't give a shit about HP.

Why the fuck not release an expansion-pack sequel in 2-3 years with new story and maybe Quiditch or some shit. Gaming industry is now too incompetent to milk a succesfull product or pander to casuals. This was their bread and butter a couple of years ago. I normally despise big publishers but Ubisoft must be staffed by some French elder gods of business since they've been putting AC games out for 17 years and somehow managed to not completely ruin the franchise in that time despite releasing new title every couple of years.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

They cannot in any way be converted into a crowd that would support one game for years. At the same time people who would be interested in GAAS i.e children and dudebros don't give a shit about HP.
This.

There are a bunch gen Alfas in my wider family and friends and I can confirm their interest in, or even awareness of, HP is mostly zero. Most girls aren't interested in vidya at all (and the rest is exclusively into Roblox and related social gaming garbage) and most boys are into shit like FIFA, CS or assorted Nintendo.

HP is for normie genXers and millennials and I bet most of them didn't touch the game since they bought it.

Caim

Arcane
I normally despise big publishers but Ubisoft must be staffed by some French elder gods of business since they've been putting AC games out for 17 years and somehow managed to not completely ruin the franchise in that time despite releasing new title every couple of years.
With the colossal flop of Skull & Bones, a game that Ubisoft themselves called a "AAAA" game, people just pointed at Assassin's Creed 4 (the pirate one) and said they'd rather want more of that.

orcinator

Liturgist
I can't believe a sequel to a AAA open world game would follow the live service trend.

I normally despise big publishers but Ubisoft must be staffed by some French elder gods of business since they've been putting AC games out for 17 years and somehow managed to not completely ruin the franchise in that time despite releasing new title every couple of years.
If your franchise was never good, the retard fans won't care about some entries being worse than others.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All this has happened before, all this is happening again. As I've said before, I believe Bethesda became an open world RPG powerhouse in so small part due to the fact that so many other studios capable of crafting large RPG worlds were chasing "WoW killer" MMO bucks.

Caim

Arcane
All this has happened before, all this is happening again. As I've said before, I believe Bethesda became an open world RPG powerhouse in so small part due to the fact that so many other studios capable of crafting large RPG worlds were chasing "WoW killer" MMO bucks.
And then Bethesda stopped making large RPG worlds to chase the live service bucks.

Poetic.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
With the colossal flop of Skull & Bones, a game that Ubisoft themselves called a "AAAA" game, people just pointed at Assassin's Creed 4 (the pirate one) and said they'd rather want more of that.

Point taken. Forgot about that garbage.

I can't believe a sequel to a AAA open world game would follow the live service trend.

If your franchise was never good, the retard fans won't care about some entries being worse than others.

Not really. You can start by making games for retards, and then fuck them up so bad even they can't take it any more. Like Mass Effect or Gears of War.

deuxhero

Arcane
One trend I noticed over the years is that Live service games are like “e-sports games” and movie trilogies: they are either something that happens organically (i.e. a somewhat unexpected success story that keeps ballooning) or something that gets planned from the get go and more often than not turns into a complete stinker no one asked for.
It's like phone games: A small number (Fortnite, CoD) make absurd money, most don't break even and crash and burn within weeks.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm reminded of the Paul F. Tompkins story where he is concerned about his TV show losing popularity.
"We were told, ‘Hey, why don’t you make a viral video?’ Oh, ok. Thanks, grandma in charge of advertising. That does sound like a good plan. Should we make it viral, or just a regular video? It should be viral? Well, we’ll include viralness in it."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom