Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Homeworld 3 from Blackbird Interactive

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Every time game is announced you just start to think in what way they will fail.
Really we should be thinking about that with every game.

Quatlo

Arcane
At least homeworld 1/2 is in good shape now with remasters and modding community working on them.
Which is even more baffling, they have whole code sitting there made by modders, just repurpose it, jesus christ. Paste it into chatgpt or something.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Reading the last couple thread pages gives me the sense that noone, not even the devs, know what the fuck they are making here. Which is worrisome.

Also, theres modders working on the remaster of 1/2? Do tell? They werent BAD remasters apart from the whole 'let's ruin the good stuff from 1 by putting 2's crap fighter mechanics in it' and similar.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Why did nobody tell me the people behind Complex were making their own game?

DesolationStone

Educated
Homeworld 3 - Dev Update: 5 Big Changes We’re Making Because Of Your Feedback

Nearly every single keyboard input is now rebindable.
:notsureifserious:
We’ve increased the hitpoints of every ship by 30 percent
:timcain:
we’ve made ability durations and their cooldowns longer
:retarded:
The only solution was obvious: We’ve added a slider to adjust the scale of the HUD in the settings menu
ThE onLy SolUtiOn waS ObVioUs :retarded::retarded:

Meanwhile, on reddit
51YSmkzr.png

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Probably got a nice expensive DLC planned to hide half the story behind.

Any 'decent' reviews out yet? IGNs word doesn't count for anything.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Looks aggressively mid. When even the IGN review is suffering through the teeth "there aren't many ships" "maps look clumsy" "it's dumbed down from HW2" you can feel something is off.

Also, I'm still amazed that they went for whatever horror is that cutscene work. Yes, I do play Homeworld for the character-based story about the usual S'jet crap. Who the fuck cares for characters in a Homeworld game? DoK tried and it was boring, and those cutscenes look rough.

Oh well, the development must have been messy.

Perkel

Arcane
Why did nobody tell me the people behind Complex were making their own game?

Because complex mod was good because it was homeworld mod rather than its own thing. I love complex, i spent 100s of hours playing it. I just don't want to play non homeworld complex. IT was "homeworld tactics" where each part was integral to it.

It was excuse to play more homeworld when homeworld got stale.

ropetight

Savant
Looks aggressively mid. When even the IGN review is suffering through the teeth "there aren't many ships" "maps look clumsy" "it's dumbed down from HW2" you can feel something is off.

Also, I'm still amazed that they went for whatever horror is that cutscene work. Yes, I do play Homeworld for the character-based story about the usual S'jet crap. Who the fuck cares for characters in a Homeworld game? DoK tried and it was boring, and those cutscenes look rough.

Oh well, the development must have been messy.
It does look epic at the moments, and there is bunch of options for controls - but I cooled off a bit.

Instead of emptiness of space with points of interest, we have nebula soup with superstructure corridors.
And no subsystem targeting?

They really don't make them as they did.

Last edited:

gongal

Scholar
This garbage is so sad to experience. Everything from story/characters/script to gameplay and tech is so much worse than everything that came before it. Why are these (seemingly adult) developer ""people"" so mentally underdeveloped and even borderline retarded?

DesolationStone

Educated
Initial euphoria aside, I believe this game will be a disastrous flop for both Embracer and BBI, and will kill the Homeworld franchise for decades to come.
The only hope and focus now is on the Homeworld 1 open source code project, in the hope that one day they will be able to run Cataclysm.

DesolationStone

Educated
Huh? HUH?

It's incredible that using old-style cutscenes would not only cut the cost of the game in half, but also increase the quality of the storytelling. These "modern cutscenes" are completely useless and creepy. The old-style storytelling and the use of "collective" protagonists were the trademark of the franchise and a peculiar interpretation of Ueda's "minimalism".

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm quite unhappy with this game. Haven't tried any multi, but the campaign gameplay is kinda meh, and the cutscenes are atrocious. WTF devs? HW1&2 had such cool stylish cutscenes, worldbuilding that felt so satisfying with a constant feeling of being on edge of understanding something important, while this crap... Cutscenes between missions in 1&2 felt like a reward, looking at Imogen's ugly mug and hearing her whining feels like punishment.
Completely agree with posters above that shifting changing protagonists to being the people to a single person is absolute trash.
The resemblance of the managing director to the protagonist is uncanny (though Imogen has better hair and no disgusting piercings at least), and I wonder whether she made the artists make the character look like that or was it their own brown-nosing initiative?

Dayyālu

Arcane
This gonna be a slaughter. Even the Reddit hugbox is rebelling against the obvious retardation in writing and development, it's endearing to see (despite the bootlickers trying desperately to "be nice guys be nice we got game for 120 bucks be nice nice nice).

There must have been something going on in the background. Most writing for Homeworld has fallen into the S'jet virus (despite people and reviewers screaming that the cool thing was always the "collective narration" thingie) but this.... I dimly remember the previews with the developers being really proud of their cutscene team, maybe they tried to shoehorn awful writing and cutscenes to coddle a department and overall narrative be damned? Like, " I've heard Lin can suck the lead out of a pencil, she asked if we could, like, make the protagonist a Strong Indipendent Woman and she would "discuss" with us the thing"

HW's gameplay went from "fine" to "decent", so I'm borderline curious about the final realization of the HW2's pipedream of megastructures, maybe I'll get this one when it's 1-2 bucks. DoK was so mediocre I didn't even manage to finish it, maybe the gameplay side of this is at least adequate.

Can't wait for the user reviews tomorrow tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom