Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Homeworld 3 from Blackbird Interactive

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting how in that first trailer Imogen doesn't look like the PhD story managing director
UJau0vq.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The cowards took down the interview with the narrative director. I've seen it get linked everywhere, especially on steam. Hilarious that they thought anybody would be interested in it for reasons other than mocking it.

1716056860384.png

The writing was on the wall even last year.

One of Blackbird Interactive's unique strengths is boasting an in-house cinematics team filled with some of the brightest, most visionary artists from film, television, and games. And from the outset we wanted to leverage their talent to tell a Homeworld story with a human intimacy never seen in the series before.

1716057051651.png

Hydro

Educated
Anybody’s tracking how it performs in terms of copies sold, people online? Can’t be arsed, but curious to see if it’s flopping. After all it’s the sales that matter.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Anybody’s tracking how it performs in terms of copies sold, people online? Can’t be arsed, but curious to see if it’s flopping. After all it’s the sales that matter.
I don't think the public knows where the flop point is for this game. The game is arguably AAA, and the devs (BBI) allegedly had 330 employees and worked on the game for 7 years. It's also published by Gearbox.

From these simple facts we can assume that a lot of money was spent on the game. Here are the steamdb stats for the first week:

1716057532523.png

For a triple A game, this is horrible.

However, if their budget was closer to a AA game, it's not as bad.

Who knows? But I heavily doubt that this launch is considered a success by any metric.

Caim

Arcane
Being a sequel to a niche game that is already in a niche subcategory of a less than mainstream genre meant that Homeworld 3 was never going to sell gangbusters but holy shit this is bad.

Hydro

Educated
For a triple A game, this is horrible.
:incline:

It also received an initial funding on Fig I believe. It’s almost funny how people backing memberberries projects get dumped all over again. Did anybody address this at all after the release?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Managing Director of Narrative Properties :lol: :lol:

Jesus H Christ the clown train has no brakes. From now on I'm calling the gardener Chief Senior Executive Vice President of Horticultural Affairs (Asia Pacific).

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
It's funny how people always talk about how expensive AAA games are to make these days
More funny because its not even a quality issue. AAA art can be easily produced, I've done it, Characters and all.
The cost is purely from mismanagement and a constant need to rush. Because they're rushing they end up costing double and taking twice as long. It's so stupid.
Fucking Agile. whoops we fucked up, whoops we fucked up again, whoops aw fuck it just release the damn thing we can just patch it later check out this awesome road map and apology, whoops we fucked up the patch quick release a TV show that'll shut em up.

Rational approach will always work better for game development in my opinion, but I'm biased af.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's funny how people always talk about how expensive AAA games are to make these days
More funny because its not even a quality issue. AAA art can be easily produced, I've done it, Characters and all.
The cost is purely from mismanagement and a constant need to rush. Because they're rushing they end up costing double and taking twice as long. It's so stupid.
Fucking Agile. whoops we fucked up, whoops we fucked up again, whoops aw fuck it just release the damn thing we can just patch it later check out this awesome road map and apology, whoops we fucked up the patch quick release a TV show that'll shut em up.

Rational approach will always work better for game development in my opinion, but I'm biased af.

Yeah, having seen how the sausage is made, you get the sense that bigger game studios are even more incompetent than your average corpo environment.

Which is alarming and hilarious.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The original HWI was decent because writers were also a programmers. HW3 has strange disassociation between writing and actual game.

That older cutscene looks like a standard pre-production video. Basically you can see in front of these two "white?" crewmembers, there is some main character. (Later you can see someone that might be black, but they might be just drawn black because they wanted yellow/white suits and they needed contrast for Black and White sketch.)

Basically Homeworld was devolution not only because of throwing people of different skin color into main cast just because developers for some weird reason are obsessed with them. (Is there white phobia in the industry? Make everyone brownie in HW3 and call it a consequence of a horrible viral skin disease that is plaguing the world after end of HW2. No problem, you get rid of skin color you hate and you'd make a game without distractions. They might even find a cure in HW4 when being white will not be a crime (in media industry).)

But the logical conclusion is: They wanted the story and gameplay monstrosity which they are calling HW3.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've been having a fun time replaying Homeworld 1 (original, not the remake version) the past few days. It still grabs you like it did when you first played it after witnessing Kharak be destroyed. Total Taiidan Death.

Hydro

Educated
Can anybody confirm this. I remember the original one being much harder than the remake. There was that particular mission in the original with hostile ships in a huge sphere formation and they absolutely obliterated me, I remember struggling with this mission for far too long. In the remake though it was walk in a park.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can anybody confirm this. I remember the original one being much harder than the remake. There was that particular mission in the original with hostile ships in a huge sphere formation and they absolutely obliterated me, I remember struggling with this mission for far too long. In the remake though it was walk in a park.
that mission is considerably harder in og homeworld 1, although it's still fairly easy if you zero in on kadeshi fuel pods and just eliminate them completely in order to paralyze the fighters

Hydro

Educated
that mission is considerably harder in og homeworld 1, although it's still fairly easy if you zero in on kadeshi fuel pods and just eliminate them completely in order to paralyze the fighters
I see, thanks. At the time of playing the original one I didn’t exercise any particularly sophisticated tactic trying to overwhelm them with brute force, and I remember this having pretty disastrous consequences for my meticulously assembled fleet.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
It‘s crazy how they messed up the remaster. At least they had the decency to imclude the originals. Is it confirmed the the Homeworld 1 Classic edition that comes with the remaster is the original, unaltered game except for compatiblity upgrades? Last time I played HW1 a few years ago was from the original CD release.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
It‘s crazy how they messed up the remaster. At least they had the decency to imclude the originals. Is it confirmed the the Homeworld 1 Classic edition that comes with the remaster is the original, unaltered game except for compatiblity upgrades? Last time I played HW1 a few years ago was from the original CD release.
the digital re-release of homeworld 1 classic is mostly unaltered except for two caveats: the yes song is gone due to copyright reasons, and it doesn't support .big file mods anymore for some reason

Quatlo

Arcane
Remaster acidentally fixed HW2 because of the fan patch, with ballistics and formations its finally a good game and not generic rts pretending to be 3d.

DesolationStone

Educated
There is also a source port of the original one, even on browser!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Wait, you mean you didn't attempt to steal all of them? I remember grabbing half of them before the sphere of warships somehow drifted outside the map boarders and I couldn't reach the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom