Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Homeworld 3 from Blackbird Interactive

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
It‘s crazy how they messed up the remaster. At least they had the decency to imclude the originals. Is it confirmed the the Homeworld 1 Classic edition that comes with the remaster is the original, unaltered game except for compatiblity upgrades? Last time I played HW1 a few years ago was from the original CD release.
Remaster acidentally fixed HW2 because of the fan patch, with ballistics and formations its finally a good game and not generic rts pretending to be 3d.
Yes, I mentioned it before, HW2 is actually improved with the added ballistics. It was already in the later official patches, the Player‘s Patch refined it further.

HW1 is better played in the classic version for the authentic gameplay experience, from what I gather the patched in ballistics in the remaster are not on par with the original game.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Can anybody confirm this. I remember the original one being much harder than the remake. There was that particular mission in the original with hostile ships in a huge sphere formation and they absolutely obliterated me, I remember struggling with this mission for far too long. In the remake though it was walk in a park.
Wait, you mean you didn't attempt to steal all of them? I remember grabbing half of them before the sphere of warships somehow drifted outside the map boarders and I couldn't reach the end.
This, you can easy bait 1-2 at time and steal them.

I had like 0.1fps the later missions from all those ion cannons firing, lol.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Can anybody confirm this. I remember the original one being much harder than the remake. There was that particular mission in the original with hostile ships in a huge sphere formation and they absolutely obliterated me, I remember struggling with this mission for far too long. In the remake though it was walk in a park.
Wait, you mean you didn't attempt to steal all of them? I remember grabbing half of them before the sphere of warships somehow drifted outside the map boarders and I couldn't reach the end.

I just used the used stealth and had a big old game of Jenga in space to see which ships I could grab without alerting the rest.

Black

Arcane
Does remastered 1 have properly working ballistics? I remember it not having that because it used 2 as the base.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Don't play the remaster of 1, too many things are removed/changed even after patches. Ballistics still don't work and small craft no longer have fuel limitations.

catchaser

Savant
You can give HW1 remaster a shot if you want better graphics and remade cinematics. But this is not Homeworld 1, it's more like a total conversion mod for Homeworld 2. At least they patched formations in at one point :lol:

Try it if you don't mind Homeworld remixed with better presentation and altered mechanics. Otherwise, go with vanilla.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I AM GETTING CONFLICTING INFORMATION
I did a complete playthrough last month. It's playable and the updated visuals are very nice. It definitely doesn't feel like HW1 tho and the balance/difficulty feels very wonky at times, which you can already notice in mission 3.

The Remastered has originals baked in and everything's readily available from the launcher so just give it a shot.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent

I know that Relic originally wanted ship customization in Homeworld but that it was cut, only to come back as a feature in Homeworld 2, but to me it was always a mistake. An RTS should be about engagements and the bigger picture, not micro - not just in the sense of clicking unit abilities, but also designing and adding things on top of them. When all the ships are Minecraft looking blocky builds you've taken it way too far imho. The cubic aesthetic is not detrimental to the looks of the ships but also their distinctness.

One of the reasons Homeworld 3 sucks is because there is little strategy in using units and they aren't differentiated enough in behavior or use anymore, so you just throw everything you got at an enemy that also just spams whatever units. Era One is approaching the same destination from another vector. It's one of those cases of crossing the line of choice into so much choice that it becomes meaningless. Every developer under the sun, including Bethesda, has been going for ship LEGO though so it might be popular despite being bad game design.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

The best part of Homeworld 1 was being an absolute kleptomaniac. Ah the stolen multi-beam frigates I kept alive throughout the entire campaign. Good memories. Even decades later I still remember that shit.

It also had one of the best ending/credits sequences in video games to date. I'll never not spam this video:

Perkel

Arcane
Being a sequel to a niche game that is already in a niche subcategory of a less than mainstream genre meant that Homeworld 3 was never going to sell gangbusters but holy shit this is bad.

Nah, reviews killed it before they were even out.
Homeworld collection had 17k peak while this can't break 10k.
PR campaign around it also was looking like they didn't know what they were doing.

Hydro

Educated
Dammit, I want to replay the original now. Are there any high res textures mods that you would recommend using?

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
The mandate of heaven has been revoked.
Bww3OYz.jpg

There's 239 players on Homeworld Remastered, which is the version available on Steam. It's less, obviously, but it's shameful when 3 was released a month ago.
Also, the peak for HR is around 18k players.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Homeworld:DoK was technically solid and decent enough of a strategy game to go finish the campaign once. My plan is to do the same here, once its available for free. How long does it take until its gifted away, one or maybe two more years?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Homeworld:DoK was technically solid and decent enough of a strategy game to go finish the campaign once. My plan is to do the same here, once its available for free. How long does it take until its gifted away, one or maybe two more years?
do not repeat the same mistake i did: buying and playing homeworld 3, especially if you're expecting a good campaign. i expected a good campaign and got something that's a terrible mockery of what homeworld is

the campaign and story is awful, don't bother. the war games mode might be worth it once hw3 is like 5 dollars in a sale, otherwise don't bother

Blutwurstritter

Learned
do not repeat the same mistake i did: buying and playing homeworld 3, especially if you're expecting a good campaign. i expected a good campaign and got something that's a terrible mockery of what homeworld is

the campaign and story is awful, don't bother. the war games mode might be worth it once hw3 is like 5 dollars in a sale, otherwise don't bother
No worries, I plan to get it when it is for free, or if I am feeling generous, for some 3-5 bucks at GOG. I'm just wondering when we reach that point. Based on the reception it appears that it will be rather sooner than later.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Shiiieeet.

cas.png

Ironically coinciding with the release of modding tools.
https://www.homeworlduniverse.com/homeworld-3-mod-tools-editor-is-now-available-for-modders/

FOR MODDERS:​

This editor is separate from Homeworld 3 and allows you to create content specifically for the game. It includes elements that can be used to create Skirmish maps and the packaging tool for exporting those maps for testing and uploading to mod.io.

You can download the Homeworld 3 Mod Tools & Editor for free on the Epic Game Store.
Purchasing Homeworld 3 on EGS is not required to use the Homeworld 3 Mod Tools & Editor.

Once you have downloaded the Editor you will be able to start creating content!

7af8881c7550bca11d4354b01fa2e645bddd1162.png

NOT SURE WHERE TO GET STARTED?​

We’ve worked with our partners at mod.io and a select group of modders to provide documentation to help you begin making mods for Homeworld 3! Most of this documentation will be focused on creating and uploading Skirmish maps.

Here’s an example of some of the guides that have been uploaded. See the full list in Guides on the mod.io Homeworld 3 page:

• Modding: Unreal Engine – This guide covers the essential features and functions of the Unreal Engine 4 Editor, providing instructions and tips to help beginners navigate and use the tools effectively.
  • Modding: Create a Skirmish Map – Your first steps in creating your Skirmish Level, giving an overview on how to get started and references for the various sub-levels.
  • Modding: Publishing and Updating a Mod – A guide on how to distribute your mod on mod.io.

FOR PLAYERS:​

You are now able to download mods for Skirmish maps from the in-game Homeworld 3 mod menu.

From the Mods menu, you’ll be able to browse and search for specific mods.
Only Skirmish Maps can be downloaded and run in the game without additional steps. For these mods, select “Subscribe and Install” to add them to your game.

Send the main character for a south korean jaw shaving surgery

(do not look up the jars filled with jawbone shavings)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom