Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Homeworld 3 from Blackbird Interactive - coming May 13th

Dayyālu

Arcane
Cataclysm didn't even feel like a Homeworld game, so this point is moot. It had uglier graphics, uglier art direction, soundtrack unbefitting of Homeworld, and generally played like some offshoot that tried to use the fame and prestige of Homeworld for marketing purposes.

Controversial take, but I'll get it, not everyone can agree on everyt....

I am obviously one of the few people who actually liked Homeworld 2 quite a lot, including its overall story and plot.

Oh, I'm so sorry. So, so sorry. it must be hard.

(Bar the joke, HW2 has no mysticism. It has forced Magical Mistery Tours done because they torpedoed the entire plot because development was a shitshow. Despite some gameplay improvements, it's essentially crap from every point of view bar ship design)

Zibniyat

Arcane
Despite some gameplay improvements, it's essentially crap from every point of view bar ship design

It may have seen like I panned Cataclysm as "essentially crap", but I merely said it was "uglier and less good", not that it was bad in itself. Recently, by which I mean in the last 2 years, I've completed H1 Classic, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Then I proceeded to play Cataclysm and... yeah, I didn't feel anything of the Homeworld there.

That aside, H2 has improved on graphical department immensely compared to H1 (art direction is another matter), and since video games are visual media that does matter. The soundtrack is also quite good, personally I find it much better than H1 and have it on my phone to listen to whenever I want, incorporating "desert tribal Middle-Eastern influences" rather well for a "vast, mostly empty and tribal galactic space" theme. And ship design is beautiful too, quite distinct and much more refined than how it was in H1, although I admit some designs in H1 were very nice (the "needle ship" for instance). It is unfair to call H2 "essentially crap", it really is a good game and a generally nice experience. I understand your contempt for it, quite like how I despise Skyrim even in comparison to Oblivion and especially Morrowind, but really - H2 on its own is good.

Lore alterations should be criminal acts, but what can we do? I prefer to judge every singular piece of entertainment and art first on its own, and only then in comparison what it relates to (prequels, influences etc.).

Last edited:
Cataclysm (pardon, Resurgence or Emergence) managed to tell a better HW-esque story than all its sequels or prequels.

Cataclysm didn't even feel like a Homeworld game, so this point is moot. It had uglier graphics, uglier art direction, soundtrack unbefitting of Homeworld, and generally played like some offshoot that tried to use the fame and prestige of Homeworld for marketing purposes.

I am obviously one of the few people who actually liked Homeworld 2 quite a lot, including its overall story and plot. What can I say, I just like that mystery and mysticism. But I understand the critics and they are indeed right that H2 destroyed H1's lore and story.

You aren't the only one who actually liked HW2 for its story. I also agree the graphic design is far better than HW1.

You are wrong, though, on Cataclysm. That was a great HW game and IMO had better game play and fleet interactions than HW1. The music did suck.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
People overstate (or misstate) what made HW1 so good. The lore is not great in any objective sense (it's a very generic space opera), but the way that lore was packaged was very novel and effective. No sequel was going to deliver the same experience because the novelty was a huge part of the experience. If a sequel perfectly captured the sense of loneliness and vastness, it would be more of the same.

There are other great space opera games that had sequels that improved on the formula in various ways, but they couldn't exceed the prior game because the novelty wouldn't be there. IMO, the only space opera sequels to pull it off, arguably, are Wing Commander II and Freespace 2. (Star Control II is a sequel, but the first game isn't strong enough for the rule to apply.)

Dayyālu

Arcane
It is unfair to call H2 "essentially crap", it really is a good game and a generally nice experience.

The point is, it really isn't.

Mission design goes from subpar to HW1 derivative (destroy Hyperspace Inibitors, yawn) to annoying (the Keepers and the Movers, imagine having the Graveyard Dog but essentially worse in every regard) to bothersome (Bentusi Ruins) to frankly infuriating (Thadis Shabbah and the THIRTEEN BATTLECRUISERS meme, the last mission is such a shitshow that I don't even know). I can eviscerate HW2's problems all day, it's a game that made me legit ANGERY.

It's already been argued to the death about the mechanical problems of HW2 (fighters, frigate bugs, subsystems) and I don't want to sperg about it again. I can concede that the ship design is pretty nice and the vistas are impressive, but the system under it is.... bad. Without touching the lore that's essentially a travesty.

Cata is pulp. It has recognizable problems, from the weirdo ship design (that however makes it essentially more interesting compared to HW2 "generic VS Hordes" template) to the soundtrack. As an expansion pack that shows a less.... epic, a smaller but less "grandiose" storyline? It works fittingly. It even manages to do what a RTS can't by design do, insert horror - the sound design of the refugee ship mission was kind of unnerving for young me.

People overstate (or misstate) what made HW1 so good.

Bears repeating, HW1 is lighting in a bottle. From reading guides and interviews, I have the definite impression that the developers themselves did not get what made HW1 attractive: that's why I have a softer spot for Cata going in a completely different direction with its plotline (horror, political intrigue) instead of throwing again and again the fake techno mysticism angle like a ram.

DraQ

Arcane

jesus fuckin christ.

who in their right mind comes up with that trembling animation when firing like in a fuckin cartoon for 12 year olds?
LOOK AT ALL THAT POWEH! IT BURSTS AT THE SEAMS!

the more I see things, the more hacks are revealed.

Jesus fuck.
:whatho:
Ok, let's say some good things first:
  • The shot itself looks pretty ok.
  • The impact is ok.
  • The explosion is passable, though very non-space like to my highly trained, :obviously: eye.
  • I appreciate the lack of sound.
    :troll:
However:
  • The shaking animation is retarded.
  • Railguns have TWO rails. TWO. At the very least you might come up with some design that has higher, but EVEN number of rails. Three is not the number of rails and the number of rails shall not be three.
  • The red highlights inside of the barrel are derp.
  • The ship looks very uninspired - literally a box with barrel attached. It is what I complained about in Cata, only even worse. I make more homeworldy ships in COADE and it's hard to make anything that doesn't look like a huge tincan in there, let alone to also make it functional.
  • Technically all the normal guns in HW have always been railguns. The visuals and mechanics is not consistent.
  • And leave the ominous charge up glow for epic beam weapons, it makes no sense with the railguns.
TL;DR:
:keepmymoney:
, also
:fight:

Zibniyat

Arcane

Maybe it was obvious, but I just realised that the second ship - the one that was destroyed - also appears to be a railgun frigate. And it too has 3 rails, one shorter?

By the way, what is wrong with 3 rails? Is it impossible for the type of weapon?

DraQ

Arcane
By the way, what is wrong with 3 rails? Is it impossible for the type of weapon?
Railgun is basically an electric circuit. One rail is current in, the other is current out, with conductive armature (your railgun slug/sabot) sitting in between.
What is third rail doing?
It's for grounding, duh!
Relevant XKCD C&H:
https://explosm.net/comics/4655/
bowlingball.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ve-blocked-homeworld-3s-fig-investment-scheme

Embracer's Gearbox acquisition appears to have blocked Homeworld 3's Fig investment scheme
Fans told their reservations for shares have been cancelled, but Fig tells us "no money ever changed hands"

Fig users who backed Homeworld 3 have been informed they will no longer have the chance to invest in the game's success and share in its profits.

An email, shared online by backers, assures that "everything is on track with Homeworld 3's development" but due to "recent changes at Gearbox", it will no longer collect reservations for investment on this game.

Any who already made a reservation will not collect any investment when the game eventually launches.

"We know that this will come as a disappointment to some of you that were waiting to invest in the success of this incredible game," the email reads.

CEO Justin Bailey confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that the message is authentic, and emphasised that "no money ever changed hands."

Fig's investment scheme works like so: during the initial crowdfunding campaign, backers reserve the opportunity to invest in shares in the game at a later date. Again, Bailey stressed that no money is charged at this stage, adding it is "just a reservation process."

Later, Fig and the developer usually open up the investment portion and contact all those who reserved the right to invest. But in the case of Homeworld 3, the project never reached this stage.

It appears Embracer Group's acquisition is likely the cause of these cancellations. Bailey told us Fig was in discussions with Gearbox about moving forward with the investment phase, but these talks "trailed off after the acquisition announcement."

GamesIndustry.biz has contacted Gearbox for more information.

Embracer acquired Gearbox earlier this year in a deal potentially worth up to $1.3 billion. At the time, studio boss Randy Pitchford told us the deal, and the access to capital Embracer enables, was "like a rocket booster to our ambitions."

However, this is not the first time a studio that used Fig for crowdfunding has been acquired. Obsidian Entertainment, Double Fine and inXile all used the platform to finance their projects before they were purchased by Microsoft.

In the case of Double Fine and inXile, the acquisition actually led to early payouts for investors in Psychonauts 2 and Wasteland 3.

"Those opportunities paid handsomely to investors," said Bailey. "The difference between those and Homeworld 3/Gearbox is that those reservations were collected in advance of the acquisition. We went through the reservations process and then opened up and concluded the investment process. In the case of Homeworld 3 and Gearbox, the acquisition took place after the reservation process but before the investment process."

He added that any users who backed the campaign by purchasing a bundle have not been affected, and that those who had reserved the right to invest will still receive their other benefits.

"In the traditional sense of crowdfunding, where people become backers and give money to assist the developer in the creation of the game in exchange for goods, all backer money has been collected," he said. "All backers will receive their goods."

The Homeworld 3 Fig campaign launched in 2019 with a funding goal of just $1. It raised over $1.5 million from more than 8,400 backers.

At the time, Gearbox said the low goal was to make it clear the game was already "on a solid foundation, funding-wise" and that the campaign would give longtime fans "a chance to invest in Homeworld 3's success."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ve-blocked-homeworld-3s-fig-investment-scheme

Embracer's Gearbox acquisition appears to have blocked Homeworld 3's Fig investment scheme
Fans told their reservations for shares have been cancelled, but Fig tells us "no money ever changed hands"

(Snip)

So it was all a scam to pump up their numbers so that real investment capital would buy them out. That makes my decision to sail the seven seas and not give them a penny completely justified in my mind.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That explains why the Early Access version of Hardspace Shipbreaker is apparently in the hands of morons. They pulled out the others for the next game.

Railgun is basically an electric circuit. One rail is current in, the other is current out, with conductive armature (your railgun slug/sabot) sitting in between.
I don't think this is correct.

A magnetic field is created by electrical current, this is how an electromagnet works. But the object picked up by the electromagnet is not part of the circuit, and has no current flowing through it.

I learned something today. First off, your description is exactly correct. A railgun uses the projectile to complete the circuit, and thus 2 rails does seem like the ideal amount. Maybe a special projectile with isolated sections could ride multiple rail pairs for increased force like you said. Any conductive material would work for a railgun projectile. The forces are all generated by the same electrical current, and for physics reasons I don't completely understand, the two forces perpendicular to the projectile somehow end up pushing it forward.

Open the spoiler if you would like to read my sperging on the subject.
My understanding of what I thought was a railgun is actually a coilgun. A coilgun is similar, but different. A coilgun takes a magnetic projectile, and generates opposing magnetic fields along it's rails using electrical current. The force is created by the opposition of the magnetic fields. A coilgun can have any number of rails, although 3 might be ideal in that it captures the projectile in the center.

The power requirements for the coilgun end up being far less than the railgun, because the railgun has to generate a significantly powerful magnetic field in both the rails and the projectile. The coilgun only needs to create the magnetic field in its rails, the projectile comes with its own already built in.

But the ammunition for the coilgun would be much more resource intensive. The railgun can shoot pretty much any conductive metal, the coilgun needs strong magnets.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't think this is correct.

A magnetic field is created by electrical current, this is how an electromagnet works. But the object picked up by the electromagnet is not part of the circuit, and has no current flowing through it.

I learned something today. First off, your description is exactly correct. A railgun uses the projectile to complete the circuit, and thus 2 rails does seem like the ideal amount. Maybe a special projectile with isolated sections could ride multiple rail pairs for increased force like you said. Any conductive material would work for a railgun projectile. The forces are all generated by the same electrical current, and for physics reasons I don't completely understand, the two forces perpendicular to the projectile somehow end up pushing it forward.

Open the spoiler if you would like to read my sperging on the subject.
My understanding of what I thought was a railgun is actually a coilgun. A coilgun is similar, but different. A coilgun takes a magnetic projectile, and generates opposing magnetic fields along it's rails using electrical current. The force is created by the opposition of the magnetic fields. A coilgun can have any number of rails, although 3 might be ideal in that it captures the projectile in the center.

The power requirements for the coilgun end up being far less than the railgun, because the railgun has to generate a significantly powerful magnetic field in both the rails and the projectile. The coilgun only needs to create the magnetic field in its rails, the projectile comes with its own already built in.

But the ammunition for the coilgun would be much more resource intensive. The railgun can shoot pretty much any conductive metal, the coilgun needs strong magnets.
I can 1-up you:
Open the spoiler if you would like to play some sperging on the subject.
:smug:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/children-of-a-dead-earth.111131/

Also, coilguns don't have rails. They have one or more solenoids along the barrel. Coilgun slug can actually be magnetically levitated inside the barrel solving some nasty friction issues and it doesn't arc. Also you can make a reluctance based (inductive) coilguns with conductive rather than magnetic armatures, and superconducting quench guns IRL.

COADE is sadly limited to the ferromagnetic coilguns you've described, and yeah, good materials for CG ammo, like nickel-iron-molybdenium alloy or especially magnetic metal glass can get expensive, compared to, for example, the "Santa" heavy railgun I've built firing 1kg carbon slugs carrying 200MJ kinetic energy each.

I looked a bit at that game, but it seems more interesting as a concept than an actual game. Still glad someone out there is trying to make it work, Newtonian physics and fun realtime space combat are a tough combo.

DraQ

Arcane
I looked a bit at that game, but it seems more interesting as a concept than an actual game. Still glad someone out there is trying to make it work, Newtonian physics and fun realtime space combat are a tough combo.
It's fun as long as you accept inherent limitations of one guy project trying to do realistic almost current tech space combat simulation from first principles.
Also as long as you embrace fucking around with ship and weapon design.

Newtonian physics and fun realtime space combat are a tough combo.

h3 will have orbital mechanics what ?
No, I'm just derailing this embarrassment to pimp COADE for 2456443227th time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom