Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Forbidden West - sequel to Hoizon Zero Dawn - coming to PC on March 21st

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
With how slow developement is these days - that's a plan for a century.
Also if people get tired of the protagonist, which is about as exciting as wallpaper paste, their SIXTEEN!1!1 plans will get "reconsidered".

racofer

Thread Incliner
Also if people get tired of the protagonist, which is about as exciting as wallpaper paste, their SIXTEEN!1!1 plans will get "reconsidered".
That's what should happen, but it's easier and cheaper to call gamers misogynist and continue milking those ESG dollars.

deuxhero

Arcane
This ride will never end
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-hori...rted-as-developer-has-a-pipeline-of-16-plans/

Guerrilla Games says the Horizon series is "going to be continuing it for a very long while," with 16 "plans" all on the spin.When Horizon Forbidden West's Burning Shores DLC was released in April, fans suspected it wasn't the end of Aloy's story.
In May, studio director Jan-Bart van Beek confirmed that Aloy's adventures will continue. The Horizon universe will expand further than just one more game though, van Beek hopes, as he reveals during a Develop:Brighton talk that the studio currently has around 16 plans "clicking on", including future instalments down the line.
"We're going to be continuing it for a very long while," he continues."As people probably already know, we're also going to be working on a multiplayer game," van Beek says, perhaps making reference to the Horizon MMO first rumoured in 2021. Rumours resurfaced last year following a new report suggesting Sony has partnered with South Korean developer NCSoft Corporation to create it.
16?!!! Even Shunmue, king of overly ambitious sequel plans, only had 11 "parts" that would be covered by four or five games. Even Sonic the Hedgehog only has 20 "main" games by Wikipedia's count (which is highly inflated. Nobody considers 3D Blast a main game, 3 and & Knuckles and Sonic 4's two episodes are counted as separate titles, ), and he's a household name that has been around for a third of a century.

Making this even more hilariously Cheetahmen-esque, is the fact that the last game lost money (or, at least, made very little) according to Sony's FTC filings. 212 million USD plus marketing (~212 million) to sell 8.4 million copies. That's a physically impossible 50.476190476 USD off each copy if marketing is equal to game budget, 37.857142857 USD off each copy if it's 50% of the dev budget, or 25 off each copy if we pretend the ad budget was included. This is a major drop in sales from the first game too, as Sony confirms it sold 20 million. I think it's clear Sony's primary motivation for porting these titles to PC is a desperate attempt to make them profitable. I'm not sure there will be a "real" PlayStation 6 at this rate.

Elttharion

Learned
Ok now Ragnarok, Ghost of Tsushima and the Bloodborne remaster and I don't need to buy PS5 at all.
Ragnarok is pure crap, and I even say that as someone who somewhat liked Nu-Gow 2018.

This ride will never end
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-hori...rted-as-developer-has-a-pipeline-of-16-plans/

Guerrilla Games says the Horizon series is "going to be continuing it for a very long while," with 16 "plans" all on the spin.When Horizon Forbidden West's Burning Shores DLC was released in April, fans suspected it wasn't the end of Aloy's story.
In May, studio director Jan-Bart van Beek confirmed that Aloy's adventures will continue. The Horizon universe will expand further than just one more game though, van Beek hopes, as he reveals during a Develop:Brighton talk that the studio currently has around 16 plans "clicking on", including future instalments down the line.
"We're going to be continuing it for a very long while," he continues."As people probably already know, we're also going to be working on a multiplayer game," van Beek says, perhaps making reference to the Horizon MMO first rumoured in 2021. Rumours resurfaced last year following a new report suggesting Sony has partnered with South Korean developer NCSoft Corporation to create it.
16?!!! Even Shunmue, king of overly ambitious sequel plans, only had 11 "parts" that would be covered by four or five games. Even Sonic the Hedgehog only has 20 "main" games by Wikipedia's count (which is highly inflated. Nobody considers 3D Blast a main game, 3 and & Knuckles and Sonic 4's two episodes are counted as separate titles, ), and he's a household name that has been around for a third of a century.

Making this even more hilariously Cheetahmen-esque, is the fact that the last game lost money (or, at least, made very little) according to Sony's FTC filings. 212 million USD plus marketing (~212 million) to sell 8.4 million copies. That's a physically impossible 50.476190476 USD off each copy if marketing is equal to game budget, 37.857142857 USD off each copy if it's 50% of the dev budget, or 25 off each copy if we pretend the ad budget was included. This is a major drop in sales from the first game too, as Sony confirms it sold 20 million. I think it's clear Sony's primary motivation for porting these titles to PC is a desperate attempt to make them profitable. I'm not sure there will be a "real" PlayStation 6 at this rate.
I dont disagree but the first game sold 20 million copies after 4-5 years and after also releasing on PC. The first game sold less than 8 million copies in its first year. Then again the sequel had a much larger combined audience (PS4+PS5). Otoh you didnt mention that they count console bundles as sales and for months I couldnt find a single PS5 that wasnt bundled with Forbidden West so the total number of sales is probably inflated.

deuxhero

Arcane
Didn't realize that 20 mil had PC numbers or that Forbidden West was bundled with PS5s for so long. Still, Wikipedia cites a PSblog post saying the first game got 10 million sales two years after launch, before the PC launch. Greatly increased budget, but decreased sales.

Interestingly, Wikipedia points to a Dutch publication stating that the main production studio disclosed the first game's budget was over 45 million Euros ("van meer dan 45 miljoen euro"), which made it the largest Dutch media production ever, but they explicitly didn't give an exact figure. I suspect that's only a fraction of the total dev budget (at bare minimum it could only be counting the Dutch studio itself, none of the work done elsewhere), but if they really doubled(+) the budget to sell half as many copies, that's really hilarious.

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
Didn't realize that 20 mil had PC numbers or that Forbidden West was bundled with PS5s for so long. Still, Wikipedia cites a PSblog post saying the first game got 10 million sales two years after launch, before the PC launch. Greatly increased budget, but decreased sales.

Interestingly, Wikipedia points to a Dutch publication stating that the main production studio disclosed the first game's budget was over 45 million Euros ("van meer dan 45 miljoen euro"), which made it the largest Dutch media production ever, but they explicitly didn't give an exact figure. I suspect that's only a fraction of the total dev budget (at bare minimum it could only be counting the Dutch studio itself, none of the work done elsewhere), but if they really doubled(+) the budget to sell half as many copies, that's really hilarious.
Considering the CEO of Playstation just announced he is stepping down I think you might be onto something here.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I felt that the first game introduced the gameplay through a long, structuralized, story-based tutorial, the likes of which should be put on the pedestal of gaming, only to disappoint the player for several hours of near-bare and horribly streamlined gameplay after that, only to surprise with what it actually had in store after another 10-15 hours in total—for the rest of the game. I am very glad that I was able to bear with the nonsense until those reveling moments, but I totally understand people who didn't know and condemned the game.

Also, stuff like 'woke' and 'ugly main protagonist to de-sexualize women' isn't really on point here. It makes sense that a she-hunter in a rough world doesn't look like a daisy, and matriarchal, women-hunting societies were known throughout the history of Earth at times and places metaphorically similar to the world of Horizon.

Looking forward to the second installment.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Yes, it's very realistic:

1706203773985705.png

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I felt that the first game introduced the gameplay through a long, structuralized, story-based tutorial, the likes of which should be put on the pedestal of gaming, only to disappoint the player for several hours of near-bare and horribly streamlined gameplay after that, only to surprise with what it actually had in store after another 10-15 hours in total—for the rest of the game. I am very glad that I was able to bear with the nonsense until those reveling moments, but I totally understand people who didn't know and condemned the game.
Usually I ignore retards like you but.. Horizon Boredom Dawn. The game's tutorial was following some dude through a horrible stealth sequence, follow some dotted lines, get bored with boring dialogues, then participate in a weird anime arc where they introduce you to a bunch of characters you bullied as a kid, and kill some big ass monster so you can look cool in front of them and then never see them again. I played the game for 20-25 ish hours, it fucking put me to sleep during a conversation sequence, the primary strategy is shoot the glow-ey bits and spam dodge, you do the same shit regardless of monster type and all the monster types behave nearly identically in their relentless purpose to kill you, unlike say stuff from Monster Hunter where there are layers. Then you have an openworld with nothing but filler fetch quests and puzzles where the solution is told to you, literally by the character because that's how much they trust your intelligence.

Also, stuff like 'woke' and 'ugly main protagonist to de-sexualize women' isn't really on point here. It makes sense that a she-hunter in a rough world doesn't look like a daisy, and matriarchal, women-hunting societies were known throughout the history of Earth at times and places metaphorically similar to the world of Horizon.
Oh! fuck off. She behaves like she posts on tumblr most of the time. She looks like someone who spents 20 min infront the mirror, she does not look rough. She also has a lot of progressive dialogues that doesn't make sense with her time. She also shows high emotional intelligence for someone suppossedly exiled and grown up in the wilds. She also preaches about patriarchy to some wanker sun king or something, even though we don't actually encounter any. She behaves like she was isekaid there than an actual person who grew up there. I get that you may like the game, but fuck off with your reductive arguments.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I felt that the first game introduced the gameplay through a long, structuralized, story-based tutorial, the likes of which should be put on the pedestal of gaming, only to disappoint the player for several hours of near-bare and horribly streamlined gameplay after that, only to surprise with what it
I disagree; much of what you just wrote is simply untrue or passively-aggressive, stereotypical bull. Get your own opinion and voice, man, it isn't too late!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
you may be aware that Aloy is a clone of Elizabeth Sobek, well the final boss is an immortal lesbian who was in love with Elizabeth (it's not clear if she reciprocated) and tries to kill Aloy for not agreeing to go with her as her replacement for Elizabeth

You know what makes no sense at all? That Aloy, a character that’s running and climb things all the time, that’s meant to be extremely athletic, somehow got a big fat head between the first game and the second game.

Horizon Zero Dawn also does a pretty fucking terrible job structuring things and tutorializing. The opening, and really the whole thing is pretty boring. It doesn’t really do much of anything particular great. Attacking encampments is vastly more interesting in Metal Gear Solid 5, and even the Far Cry games. Fighting giant monsters and coming across monster interactions is way fucking better in Dragon’s Dogma and Monster Hunter World. Maybe it’s not fair to compare it with World since World came after, but Dragon’s Dogma was almost a full five years before. The tall grass stealth is done better in Assassin’s Creed, getting back to encampments, that’s done better in Assassin’s Creed too when you’re going after targets. Stealth is kind of terrible in HZD. The animations they went with for stealth takedowns are kind of hilarious in how big they made the action, they’re like the loudest, biggest, more flashy stealth takedowns in a game. Stealth attacks on enemy locations feel like they were going for comedy.

The combat system is also pretty terrible in Horizon Zero Dawn. Game is one of those games I got for free that Sony was giving away and I couldn’t even be bothered to finish it. The most interesting thing about the game is that playing it you can feel Death Stranding in it. Although the Death Stranding team greatly improved the gameplay.

If it wasn’t for the different podcast I was listening to while playing it I’m not sure I’d even remember the specifics of the game like I do...all the specifics of the game I remember are tied to the stuff I was listening to at the time.

Modron

Arcane
Developers are free to insert the message, marketing still has to try to sell the game.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

You know what makes no sense at all? That Aloy, a character that’s running and climb things all the time, that’s meant to be extremely athletic, somehow got a big fat head between the first game and the second game.

Horizon Zero Dawn also does a pretty fucking terrible job structuring things and tutorializing. The opening, and really the whole thing is pretty boring. It doesn’t really do much of anything particular great. Attacking encampments is vastly more interesting in Metal Gear Solid 5, and even the Far Cry games. Fighting giant monsters and coming across monster interactions is way fucking better in Dragon’s Dogma and Monster Hunter World. Maybe it’s not fair to compare it with World since World came after, but Dragon’s Dogma was almost a full five years before. The tall grass stealth is done better in Assassin’s Creed, getting back to encampments, that’s done better in Assassin’s Creed too when you’re going after targets. Stealth is kind of terrible in HZD. The animations they went with for stealth takedowns are kind of hilarious in how big they made the action, they’re like the loudest, biggest, more flashy stealth takedowns in a game. Stealth attacks on enemy locations feel like they were going for comedy.

The combat system is also pretty terrible in Horizon Zero Dawn. Game is one of those games I got for free that Sony was giving away and I couldn’t even be bothered to finish it. The most interesting thing about the game is that playing it you can feel Death Stranding in it. Although the Death Stranding team greatly improved the gameplay.

If it wasn’t for the different podcast I was listening to while playing it I’m not sure I’d even remember the specifics of the game like I do...all the specifics of the game I remember are tied to the stuff I was listening to at the time.
Untrue number 2, self-served nonsense. Next.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom