Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline How will RPGCodex compete with /vrpg/?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
4chan isn't good for discussing RPGs or video games, anonymity is an idea that ultimately encourages drive-by shitposting and canned sarcasm. Left that shithole about 8 years ago, can't imagine how worse it become meanwhile. Creating new boards won't solve the problem of average user being a teenager or kid, real or mental age.
as if such things weren't a daily occurrence here
Nah. RPGCodex is far better than /vrpg/ - at least here I know you cunts play video games, and aren't just shitposting, while hiding under the guise of anonymity.

Funposter

Arcane
4chan isn't good for discussing RPGs or video games

Pace of the boards is a big problem. The truism of "/v/ was never good" doesn't necessarily contradict the fact that the website as a whole has become worse as it has grown, and around 2011 or so for /v/ was a turning point where the critical mass of drive-by shitposts really started to drown out any genuine discussions that were going on. 8chan was originally pretty decent due to the reduced pace (we're talking early exodus of gamergate people while it was still run by the cripple) when it had around 2,500-3,000 posts per hour but then that faggot from kiwifarms sabotaged the website and the feds started literally fedposting on /pol/.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
and the feds started literally fedposting on /pol/.
What a world we live in. It's fucking amazing.
Or that one time /pol/ called in an air strike on moderate beheaders.
Have YOU ever called an air strike on ISIS, Codex? Yeah, didn't think so.
/sg/ was magical.

DeepOcean

Arcane
4chan isn't good for discussing RPGs or video games, anonymity is an idea that ultimately encourages drive-by shitposting and canned sarcasm. Left that shithole about 8 years ago, can't imagine how worse it become meanwhile. Creating new boards won't solve the problem of average user being a teenager or kid, real or mental age.
as if such things weren't a daily occurrence here
True but any unmoderated forum is like that, the problem of 4chan is that it is only that, Jesus, there are pages and pages of just slightly variations of "You are tard." ,"Ur mom sucks." and "I'm going to be a big cunt now, so cowl.", it is like someone programmed a bot to procedurally generate the way teenagers talk and filled the threads with endless worthless random edgy procedural text quality nonsense. At least on the codex, even the tards are sometimes funny and say something worthy reading.

Vatnik Wumao
An unmoderated forum is much better than an anonymous imageboard though. You get to know who's who and whether spending your time talking with someone on a given topic is worthwhile or not. With 4chan, every thread is a 'reset' and most of the content is shit anyways.

Maxie

I've browsed the /vrpg/ subforum quite some time ago making anonymous threads about the Codex to stir up some lukewarm shitposting, at the same time I looked up what constitutes taste in gaming there
Unfortunately I fell for the 'haha' meme and played Trials of Cold Steel, it was very bad

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
An unmoderated forum is much better than an anonymous imageboard though. You get to know who's who and whether spending your time talking with someone on a given topic is worthwhile or not. With 4chan, every thread is a 'reset' and most of the content is shit anyways.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Even a broken clock strikes twice a day, and if a retard makes a really smart post it is easy to discard his opinion because of your opinion of the user. Some for dumb opinions. On 4chan the posts value stands mostly on its own.
Also there is less skin in the game, you can make more hot takes and insults without forging any emnities. It often leads to an inferior comment culture full of baiting and contrarianism, but on a good board it also leads to interesting opions and discussions about stuff that doesn't get discussed often.
Also 4chan is like the only place left on the net without some sort of facebook like system. That is clearly a benefit.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Also there is less skin in the game, you can make more hot takes and insults without forging any emnities.
You mean to say you don't do that here? Pfffft. Fag.
Which inevitably leads to addressing the poster instead of the argument. 4chan is mostly shit, but when it's good it makes for better discussions than any other platform I've come across.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
You mean to say you don't do that here? Pfffft. Fag.

Yeah there are some posters here I wouldn't call out for acting like niggers if they do, because I value them too much.
That problem does not exist on the chans, I am fairly sure one guy I regularily butt heads with in a general is also one of the better anons from there.
I raked him on April Fools for acting too Canadian. He got confined to Quebec for a day, and the experience scarred him.

Takamori

Learned
To be honest started posting here to avoid 4chan, got tired of the same memes being recycled over and over, wanted to discuss some western rpgs so here I'm.

Despite having some threads diving straight into retardoland like /v/ and some schizo posting, codex still have some sort of focused discourse regarding games. Battle Brothers thread for example fullfill its purpose of collecting information and sharing experiences and same for Colony Ship when the demo released and I expect the same when the EA arrive tomorrow.

Also upcoming RPG's besides the usual it looks like shit some rpgs grasp some interest and spawn some sort of discussion, could be better but we are miles away from being shit like /v/

Vatnik Wumao
Even a broken clock strikes twice a day, and if a retard makes a really smart post it is easy to discard his opinion because of your opinion of the user. Some for dumb opinions. On 4chan the posts value stands mostly on its own.
I agree, but personally I don't think that it outweighs the advantage of being able to chat on a different topic with that same person in some other thread. There are some board regulars that you'd stumble upon constantly, but many good posts also come from people who just browse the chans once every blue moon.

Also there is less skin in the game, you can make more hot takes and insults without forging any emnities.
It's a matter of perspective I guess. I personally don't censor myself in order to maintain some 'forum image' as it were, but that is mostly due to the fact that the Codex isn't a normie forum (thanks largely due to its lenient moderation policy). As for emnities, I don't hold any grudges. If I don't like someone, it's mostly due to their opinions and not their personality (and since I don't use the ignore feature anyway, it's not like my prejudices would stop me from reading or engaging with a quality post from one of those people).

Also 4chan is like the only place left on the net without some sort of facebook like system. That is clearly a benefit.
With that I agree. Both forums and imageboards have their place on the internet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom