Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I don't actually like RPGs

Do you like RPGs?

• Total voters

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
generic fantasy/sci-fi/whatever

That's a bit too wide a spectrum to fit the "generic" part. And one can't help but wonder what hides behind the "whatever".

Maxie

I dont like when people simp for system shock derivative shooters like deus ex or vampire then come here to be very brazen about their sublime and mature rpg taste. A little self awareness please

PrettyDeadman

roguelikes are pretty cool. the rest of the genre is kinda meh to be honest, especially jrpg. blobbers are okay, but only if its a proper rpg where you can pixelhunt for secret button or drag items from inventory into the world to solve quests or cook bread, if its jrpg-style blobber where the only thing you do is move around and grind than its not cool. vtm bloodlines and arcanum were pretty good too. also ultima 7 style games where you can move and stack furniture to find key underneath carpet or just for fun (like divine divinity or kotc) are cool too, but not original sin games though.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I dont like when people simp for system shock derivative shooters like deus ex or vampire then come here to be very brazen about their sublime and mature rpg taste. A little self awareness please
The first Deus Ex isn't a System Shock derivative. It's got a better setting and story and is overall more solid.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really like gurugeorge 's reason for liking rpgs. He mentioned it once or twice.
They are really really good at getting me into the flowstate. I think he calls it mathematico-logical trance. All the little decisions, the heavily mathematical combat, the out of combat decisions, in a good rpg those all work together to make you forget the time in a permanent endophin releasing flow state.
And as every amateur musician knows, being in the flow feels damn good.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
JRPGs are the shittiest things in the world. In real RPGs, you don't have to grind on happy slimes all day to level up. You just do side-quests and shit. You know, actual content. Actual stuff. And really, what would you rather play for 100 hours, endlessly pressing the same button over and over or actual encounters designed by actual humans that make you actually think?

Also someone mentioned getting raped by little sisters? That's gross. You're gross.

I obviously want to be raped by little kemono boys uwu. get it right!!!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They all look like boring generic fantasy/sci-fi/whatever shit to me. Only JRPGs look interesting but the gameplay sucks.

RPGs:
_2049803b.png

arcanum3.jpg

tamriel-rebuilt-2.jpg

Conan_Exiles_011-pcgh1.jpg

space-wreck-pc-game.jpg

ss_212c74c20515fa7fc8656f366edb230c2fb7dfc0.1920x1080.jpg

The-Elder-Scrolls-3-Morrowind-incl-TES-Construction-Set.jpg

Torment-6.jpg

DeusEx-5.jpg

ss_d397bcabffb47f17dd0c72254518f60cc8005f80.1920x1080.jpg

JRPGs:
final-fantasy-vii-crisis-core-01-artwork.jpg

Dragon_Quest_11_S_Preview_2019.07.26-5--pc-games1.jpg

TOCS2_Bond_Team_1024x1024.jpg

ChronoTrigger.jpg

e3ace3dc-f06a-4f3f-b0ef-f3316d8ffd0b.jpeg

Uh-huh. Yeah. Sure.

jrpgvswrpg.jpg

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
They all look like boring generic fantasy/sci-fi/whatever shit to me. Only JRPGs look interesting but the gameplay sucks.
stuff
So what you're saying is, both genres are generic to themselves. Describing it in detail doesn't really change that. You could just say ‘man in world who do thing’ for western RPGs. (I know, that's what I'm doing myself, but liek ur mum lmao)

But yes, focusing on some dumb characters' individualities is a very western thing. How much of that is actually the context of the setting, not the character itself, though? Personally, I don't care as long as I like the type of characters that they are. But umg animu cliches so bad hurrr durr

Also, using Torment and Deus Ex in a comparison is like if I told you anime is better than shitty mainstream television just because Serial Experiments Lain is a masterpiece.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I fucking love RPGs. Since the earliest memories of playing Gateway to Apshai on my brother's C64 to getting wasted in Moraff's Revenge I've always loved them and they only got better and better till the mid 2000s. Darklands immersed me in its world with agency and period piece music. Xeen was just plain fun to play and still is. Krondor has one of the best stories ever written and is an amazingly immersive experience. Ultima V is just comfy to play. Daggerfall held me for months and I go back to it thanks to Workshop. I could go on, but you get the idea, I motherfuckin' love RPGs, RPGs are the best.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
I am trying to expand my horizons a bit and need a top ten list of animes where the MC is a secretly overpowered magic highschool student with a harem, as well as a top ten list of animes where the MC is a secretly overpowered VR gamer high school student with a harem

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I don't actually hate anything. I just say I do. In reality, I'll just go play all the RPGs when you guys aren't looking.

Will I like them? Pfft. Imagine actually playing games for fun. You aren't a true gamer if you don't play with neutral disinterest and then go on a forum to tell everyone their favourite games are shit. Even my favourites are shit. Everything is shit. This is the true meaning of I don't actually like RPGs.

Well, I mean, maybe they're all right. For what they are. Which is good enough. I guess. But it's not like I actually like them or anything, baka! (wow it's like one of my Japanese animes)

I am trying to expand my horizons a bit and need a top ten list of animes where the MC is a secretly overpowered magic highschool student with a harem, as well as a top ten list of animes where the MC is a secretly overpowered VR gamer high school student with a harem
Is it weird that I can't think of any that I've actually watched?

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
I generally like RPGs. TB of course, with the only RwP that I ever liked was the one in IE games. I don't generally care if it's "western" or "jrpg" (I tend to avoid the hentai or too anime titles due to them being cringe as fuck). Actiony type RPGs like VtMB and Deus Ex are alright and I generally enjoy them. Shit like Diablo never interested me (but had some fun with D2 and Titan Quest). Roguelikes are a pass, and blobbers I never got in to.
However, I must say that these days I find myself not playing many (modern) RPGs. I rarely play something that captivates me enough that I want to learn the magic and combat system. Pre 5th edition D&D based games I always liked and I already know the system in and out.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I played Fallout. I guess it was good. I don't really care for it aside from that, though. Yeah, nice setting, whatever. Meh.

I played Torment. It was very good... as an adventure game.

Looks like there's hope for you.
You should try Dark Sun, Colony Ship, Wizardry 8, maybe AoD if you can endure a single character game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom