Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I Finally Decided to Try LOTRO

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really didn't like it. Tried it twice. It's the typical wall-of-text-click-away-kill-10-mobs-WoW-clone. And it really doesn't look good IMHO.
For me it was really a letdown after playing DDO.

made

Arcane
Lotro walls of text > walls of text in other MMOs tho. And it does have some pretty impressive scenery and architecture.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
This game would have been passable if the questing wasn't so god-fucking-damned boring. It's quests follow the exact same formula other MMOs use, go here, kill that, fetch this; yet somehow it manages to be even more boring than anything else.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
This game would have been passable if the questing wasn't so god-fucking-damned boring. It's quests follow the exact same formula other MMOs use, go here, kill that, fetch this; yet somehow it manages to be even more boring than anything else.
I think LotRO's greatest problem is that you never feel like you're really accomplishing anything because you're just chasing the Fellowship while doing menial tasks on the side. As far as structure goes, it's a traditional MMORPG. It's how it was designed.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It's just such a pity. I absolutely love LOTR (despite never reading any of Tolkien's works aside from LOTR and The Hobbit), and this game had so much potential. I was so optimistic I even bought Mirkwood and the Isengard (think it was Isengard) expansion before I had started playing the game. Haven't even reached either of the two areas yet, because it's just too tedious.

I think a large problem with the game is also the F2P model. Unless you buy something, it's not really worth playing because the limits on F2P players just suck too much. Even the Auction House is pretty much dead.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Plus you don't have proper spellcasting classes. The loremaster sucks dick from what I've heard.

dextermorgan

Arcane
I think a large problem with the game is also the F2P model. Unless you buy something, it's not really worth playing because the limits on F2P players just suck too much. Even the Auction House is pretty much dead.
This. The limits imposed on F2P players are forcing you into never-ending grind and they extend into ALL aspects of the game. I quit when I realized that in order to reach top tier crafting I had to do an insane amount of point grinding.

As for the game itself, I really, really liked the vistas and the size of the world. At times I'd just park my toon at a specific spot (like the ruin high above river Bruinen) and just enjoy the sights.

Angthoron

Arcane
I heard that they've cut the bullshit restrictions and you don't have to buy every region pre-Moria anymore, is this true? That was one of the most fucking retarded things they did, at least for former subbers.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I thought it was retarded that there wasn't an option to permanently purchase the ability to fast-travel. You either had to buy a day pass or a month pass. Stupid things like that ruined the experience for me.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
They need to charge your precious money for shit somehow.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'll join if I can get my launcher fixed. It gives me an error every time the game tries to update and I haven't bothered trying to fix it yet.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So basically what you are saying is you are going to re-install SW:TOR and try out the Pay2Gay DLC?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
:lol:

Nah, you know me better than that. I'm just curious to see how much the game's improved, if at all. I'll probably ragequit it after 10 minutes.

If that happens, I may fire up LoTRO again and join you merry bastards on my quest to find LoTRO girl again...

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
What are you guys playing, anyway? I was playing Warden last time I played. No idea at what level I was. I'll probably reroll as a Runekeeper, though. Warden is a bit too simplistic and boring. It's supposed to be an advanced class, but it's in the same easymode category as captains and champions.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I think I had a nearly capped Champ. Easy mode, yes, but I didn't get into this game for the tactical challenge. I could try to transfer him to the Withywindle server once you guys grow up a little. We'll see.

Angthoron

Arcane
Sadly am a bit too busy at this point to get back into LotRO. Would love to give it another spin later this year perhaps, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom