Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

is AI going to ruin video games?

Norfleet

In the long run I hope they combine the best of both worlds. The AI generates lots of content, then a human selects the best bits and fixes the deficiencies.
Honestly, this is basically how the creation process works with humans, too. The only difference is that a human creator has an internal filter that stops him from even trying to create things that he deems too shitty so that it doesn't get passed up the chain, due to the higher cost of producing human output, while the AI can shit out prodigious amounts of candidate shit and then a human can, at much lower effort, filter it.

I imagine the next trick will be teaching an AI to identify when something is shit so it can self-filter.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think all questions about AI's creating video games, namely rpgs, were solved in 1984 with the C64 release of Adventure Construction Set which allowed players to have the computer pretty much design a game from scratch, complete with name. The player could also take the game as far as they would like such as give the game a name and complete a few rooms, then ACS would take over. The game did not create graphics, upscale existing graphics, etc - though I'll bet they could have done it on the Amiga version released in 1986.

Have things turned to shit since 1984? Yes. Will I lose any sleep over games getting "even shittier" in the future? No, I already have pretty low expectations. If anything, AAA studios will use AI to diminish the need for "creative types" for new games and use AI to add a coat of paint to nostalgia type games for a quick buck, while indie studios will use AI to determine new and creative ways to be pretentious assholes.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In the long run I hope they combine the best of both worlds. The AI generates lots of content, then a human selects the best bits and fixes the deficiencies.
Honestly, this is basically how the creation process works with humans, too. The only difference is that a human creator has an internal filter that stops him from even trying to create things that he deems too shitty so that it doesn't get passed up the chain, due to the higher cost of producing human output, while the AI can shit out prodigious amounts of candidate shit and then a human can, at much lower effort, filter it.

I imagine the next trick will be teaching an AI to identify when something is shit so it can self-filter.
Not really, that's basically a GAN which is old news:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_adversarial_network

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom