Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG?

Is Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG™?

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
why fuck up the poll by adding a second "yes" option?

Because no doubt there are people who will say "yes" because CP2077 may fit the bill of what an RPG has come to mean nowadays, but not necessarily what they feel an RPG truly is.

To answer that question, we need to first define what an RPG is.

So far it seems to be pretty clear, judging by the poll: "Not Cyberpunk 2077"

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is the game more like Deus Ex? Or more like Grand Theft Auto?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Because no doubt there are people who will say "yes" because CP2077 may fit the bill of what an RPG has come to mean nowadays, but not necessarily what they feel an RPG truly is."
who the fuck cares what their reasoning is? why confuse the poll with a compromise option that can mean either?

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Because no doubt there are people who will say "yes" because CP2077 may fit the bill of what an RPG has come to mean nowadays, but not necessarily what they feel an RPG truly is."
who the fuck cares what their reasoning is? why confuse the poll with a compromise options that can mean either?

Well I think it's telling that so far no one has voted YES.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
who the fuck cares what their reasoning is? why confuse the poll with a compromise options that can mean either?

Well I think it's telling that so far no one has voted YES.
just wait until the discord trannies get organised

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It has undeniable RPG elements, so it is at least partly one.
Still mostly an action game. Just like Witcher 3 was.

Of course, being something like an Action-RPG it will just be called "RPG" by everyone...

overly excitable young man

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Is the game more like Deus Ex? Or more like Grand Theft Auto?
More like Deus Ex cause you have a progress system compared to GTA.
More like GTA because it has scripted driving missions with enemies you can't kill until the game wants you to.
So a few minutes of content negate the whole game system thats clearly an rpg with stats and perks?
:interesting:
Everything has stats and perks nowadays. That's not indicative of an RPG, or of Deus Ex specifically. Even San Andreas had stats and progression.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Is Deus Ex one?
System Shock 2?
Elder Scrolls games?
Witcher games?

I think the question is: which one of those games would be radically different without its RPG mechanics? I think Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher games, all of those would play nearly the same.
Deus Ex and Morrowind? Not really. I haven't played SS2.

How is Deus Ex an rpg?
Where do we draw the line?
Is Dungeon Master one?

V_K

Arcane
Well, from the screenies it seems like character building-wise it's closer to Fallout 4 than Witcher 3, which is an improvement for CDPR. Of course, I have no idea if those stats and skill trees actually affect anything.

Is Deus Ex one?
System Shock 2?
Elder Scrolls games?
Witcher games?

I think the question is: which one of those games would be radically different without its RPG mechanics? I think Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher games, all of those would play nearly the same.
Deus Ex and Morrowind? Not really. I haven't played SS2.
Lol @ your retarded appeal to popularity.
Tell me about those deep Deus Ex rpg mechanics with which the game wouldnt work anymore.

Same with Oblivion or Skyrim. Just because a game is SHIT doesnt mean that they magically arent rpg anymore.
What is the difference for Oblivion in taking out the rpg system and in Morrowind!?
The rpg part falls very flat in both already.
You just dont want to admit that now because Morrowind is popular on this deluded site.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
To answer that question, we need to first define what an RPG is.
Agreed! And a "Fuck if I know option ???" Its more of one than say Diablo which is just kill/fetch quest clickfests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom