Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG?

Is Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG™?

• Total voters
Obviously, you don't really play any tangible roles in these games (or XCOM, for that matter) so they are not RPGs.
Wrong, your manager is quite literally your character, with his own stats, attitudes, unique responses etc etc.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obviously, you don't really play any tangible roles in these games (or XCOM, for that matter) so they are not RPGs.
Wrong, your manager is quite literally your character, with his own stats, attitudes, unique responses etc etc.
Attitudes and "unique responses" are irrelevant to gameplay, that's just flavor text.

However, if there are really stats and you can actually influence these (as some sort of character building/advancement) and they do have a tangible influence on the game and you actually can give commands to that manager entity...
Then yes, such a game would at least partly be an RPG.

Even though it'd probably be a minor part, as I assume the vast majority of gameplay still revolves around typical manager gameplay and is more business sim than anything else.
But hey, I'll never go against touching more things up with RPG gameplay. Worked for Tower Defense and FPS games, too.

Attitudes and "unique responses" are irrelevant to gameplay, that's just flavor text.

However, if there are really stats and you can actually influence these (as some sort of character building/advancement) and they do have a tangible influence on the game and you actually can give commands to that manager entity...

Even though it'd probably be a minor part, as I assume the vast majority of gameplay still revolves around typical manager gameplay and is more business sim than anything else.
But hey, I'll never go against touching more things up with RPG gameplay. Worked for Tower Defense and FPS games, too.
No, it's not merely cosmetic. These responses influence your further interactions with players and as result impact their performance, their demands etc etc. You can't really comprehend the depth of it without giving it a try. I'm not really debating anything here or taking a strong position, I'm just going to make a bold claim that Football Manager is a better RPG than Cyberpunk, in accordance to the many principles outlined by many of the people here and in accordance with my personal preferences.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, it's not merely cosmetic. These responses influence your further interactions with players and as result impact their performance, their demands etc etc. You can't really comprehend the depth of it without giving it a try. I'm not really debating anything here or taking a strong position, I'm just going to make a bold claim that Football Manager is a better RPG than Cyberpunk, in accordance to the many principles outlined by many of the people here and in accordance with my personal preferences.
Entirely possible.

Still haven't played CP2077, though I surely will at some point next year (after PC upgrade, maybe...).
I don't expect it to be a pure RPG at all (it's obviously an action game first and foremost), though I do expect at least some decent RPG parts (like character building, I hope).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
And the abstracted system represents what?
Whatever the designer intents to represent.
What kind of weird question is that?

And that "whatever" - is it simply a logical puzzle ("toy problem" as I said)?

So a logical puzzle represents a logical puzzle? How would that make sense? No, actually what the system represents is some aspect of a real or imagined world.

Without representing, i.e. simulating something in the real world or an imagined world, all you have is a mathematical puzzle. So go do maths.

Or to look at it another way, you're not playing Chess or Tetris or something like that, the RPG obviously has some element of simulation, some element of pretend, etc. The question is whether it's a toy puzzle clothed in a bit of simulation and pretend (and why on earth would anybody do that?), or is it a simulation that's forced into being a toy problem because it fails to be a full simulation?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Still haven't played CP2077, though I surely will at some point next year (after PC upgrade, maybe...).
I don't expect it to be a pure RPG at all (it's obviously an action game first and foremost), though I do expect at least some decent RPG parts (like character building, I hope).

You absolutely have to define a character role with your stat and perk choices, as the level cap only allows you to max 3 of the 5 skills, and only if you basically ignore the other two entirely. If you use those at all, you'll only max 2 of the 5. And there's a lot more perks than perk points, even within the 2-3 skills you're maxing. HOWEVER like Outer Worlds, the problem is you're too good at everything by default, and the game isn't difficult once you level up a bit, even on hard. So a lot of those role choices end up feeling unimportant. For example I am spec'd entirely into pistols, stealth and crafting, but for funsies I've run around shotgunning things a few times and had no issue destroying everything in my path, because the shotgun's damage was great and thing like "20% less shotgun recoil" and "10% more chest damage" aren't THAT critical. There are some very important perks like 40% more headshot damage for snipers or whatever, but it's rare.

Readher

Savant
Is Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG?
6JUaakx.png

Citizen

The Witcher 3 was not only voted GOTY 2015 but also #15 on the Codex list of all time top 101 PC RPGs, which was only a year ago. Maybe fix your broken site if you are gonna have non-RPGs become eligible for ALL TIME greatest RPG lists.

CDPR games are a diversity quota hires of the "top RPGs" lists

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Asking if something is an RPG is like asking if someone is white.
There's a grey area. A very large grey area. Well, technically it's brownish if you're asking the latter.
And if you have to ask chances are they aren't.
In both cases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom