Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Dark Souls overrated?

It's hip to hate on Souls these days, but in my opinion it's just one of those things where something that's really good got really popular, and that's fine for those of us who are past adolescence.

My favourite of all the Souls games was the very first one, Demon's, but I've finished the others, too. I like the first one better because it was actually fresh back then - I did play all of the King's Field games, too, and KF4 is actually my favourite From Software game.

The formula is getting very long in the tooth now and DS2 had some pretty weak areas, but the whole thing is still massively better than most of the overproduced tripe that's out these days, as long as you don't overthink it or try too hard to be edgy. It's got good feedback in combat, some nice atmosphere and cool enemies/music. Doesn't treat the player like a mongoloid but I don't think it's as hard as people think, plus all games in the series have a bad difficulty curve, getting trivially easy after a certain point instead of harder, but that's a forgiveable flaw.

I didn't sperg and finish every single game 500x over, but I usually do a couple of NG+ loops. Don't care for the multiplayer either, so there's that.

I didn't like Bloodborne very much, even though I really liked the setting and I think the art direction was awesome. I think the formula is just too repetitive for me these days. Will play DS3 but don't expect a revelation - just a solid game like the others.

People thinking video games are the second coming of Christ are quite amusing, really.

Last edited:

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
mechanical excellence

Beware, someone might post a gif of the Souls' hitboxes.
Like this one :
uGY6cqY.gif

Mechanical excellence.

Like many 'hitbox' problems, it's nothing to do with hitboxes. He was hit. It was a bad roll. He just didn't pop onto the sword until his roll animation, then 'hit' animation finished playing. So laggy animation: yes. Hitbox/Collision detection: no.

Bleh... can you not insert pics from Dropbox here? I took a frame from the gif but it won't show it.

Link anyway: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfd5w971ke9cn9a/Pursuer_03.png?dl=0

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Yeah I realized while posting it that it had to do with the DS2 roll system.
Still a fun gif though.
Anyway my point was more about how "mechanical excellence" doesn't apply to the Souls, even Demon's had fps drop when you destroyed barrels and stuff.
But yeah I agree with you ofc, I'll add I liked that they finally addressed the "I roll and therefore am invincible" from the previous games. Might have been done better but hey.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Did people really tortured themselves by playing it with m+k? This shit made me buy my first decline device - an xbawks controller, which improved my game exprience by 100%.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Did people really tortured themselves by playing it with m+k? This shit made me buy my first decline device - an xbawks controller, which improved my game exprience by 100%.
I played it keyboard only.
Congratz then i guess. Don't get me wrong i never ever had problems with bad controls in games and ofc i have installed dsfix and mousfix. That could go better if my mouse would have more then 3 buttons in that time.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's actually more comfy when I can rest my hands on keyboard. You need to hold controller.

Cadmus

Arcane
Im gonna continue spamming these retard threads with OMFG ITS COMPLETELY FINE WITH KB AND MOUSE YOU FUKIN CONSOLE PEASANTS

"Is sucking and fucking w sexy babes overrated? Is fine steak overrated? Is Lagavulin 16 overrated? Is breathing overrated?" pondered the pleb

actually Lagavulin 16 is kind of overpriced and has a nasty sweetness to it of late that I'm not fond of, presumably because it's owned by Diageo, but my point is.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I always preferred to experience games/movies in their original form as much as possible
the way that creators wanted us to experience it. I don't mean you have to buy console just to play it
like you wouldn't buy C64 or amiga just to play PoR... or actually i would if gold box games in good shape didn't cost that much.

Oh and btw Dark Souls is first and last game so far that i used xbox controller so far. Yea it took me good while to get used to that thing but it was totally worth it.

janior

Arcane
Patron
And if you really think using controller for console game is retarded something is really fucking wrong with you.

Cadmus

Arcane
And if you think using controller for console game is retarded something is really fucking wrong with you.
It's not retarded but the controller is a retarded device imo unless you specifically require an analogue input which DS doesn't require in the least. I don't get this "console game" argument, I'm playing it on my PC which is not a console.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Let me picture that: Watching a film in cinema with subtitles and original sound vs watching it at home with dubbing.
I most of the time prefer cinema but not every movie is that easily accessible in this way, especially if it's an old one and not so popular one.
But sometimes i prefer to sit in my room, turn off the lights and experience it that way. That also depends on kind of film i want to watch.
Both options have their advantages and disadvantages but mainly they're just different.
Now you get it? Now change movies with games etc.

Cadmus

Arcane
Ok, I changed the movies for games but all I'm reading now is some bullshit about watching games in the cinema.

With that retarded analogy were you trying to ascertain that there is some artistic expression put into the controller controls?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Played DS1 just this week, my first DS experience ever. Fell in love instantly, all with M&K. The ONLY time i felt a controller could be marginally better is when I got to Manus and tried to roll-dodge his attacks. The timing for that has to be perfect and the spacebar is simply an inferior key for that since it takes a "long" time to press it (too late in the game to learn new keys). But that was a very isolated and marginal case. Vast majority of the game I didn't feel I'm being hampered without a controller. It is probaby a better device to play DS with but by a very, very small degree. M&K is nowhere near as terrible as people say, well with the DSMfix that is.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Fuck it. I'm gonna give it another with m+k, just too see if i remember correctly. What were your keybinds? You used dsmousefix i assume?

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished the game, expansion included with m+k while playing without a shield and with medium roll. You can't tell me m+k is inferior, fuck controllers.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
[KeyConfigMove]
Forward = 87
Back = 83
Right = 68
Left = 65
WalkForward = 262231
WalkBack = 262227
WalkRight = 262212
WalkLeft = 262209
[KeyConfigCamera]
Up = 104
Down = 98
Right = 102
Left = 100
Lockon = 9
[KeyConfigEquip]
ChangeRightWep = 86
ChangeLeftWep = 67
ChangeGoods = 70
ChangeMagic = 82
[KeyConfigAction]
RightAction = 103
RightSubAction = 105
LeftAction = 96
LeftSubAction = 1048576
UseGoods = 69
BackStep = 32
Action = 81
ChangeArmStyle = 65536
[KeyConfigMenuDisp]
MenuDisp = 35
Gesture = 71
Live = 36
[KeyConfigMenuCtrl]
Up = 38
Down = 40
Left = 37
Right = 39
Enter = 13
Cancel = 8
Func1 = 45
Func2 = 46
NextMenu = 33
PrevMenu = 34
These are my keyboard settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom