Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Dark Souls overrated?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Controllers are just another input device. The advantage of PCs is being able to use different input devices depending on the game, whether it's KB&M, a gamepad, joysticks/steering wheels etc. For Dark Souls, I've never even tried to use KB&M because I'd rather play it with the input device it was designed for, plus I can also play on my TV for couch gaming.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How long does it take to master a controller? If it takes like a few hours I'll probably get one for my DS2 and DS3 playthroughs. If it's days or weeks tho imma not bother.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How long does it take to master a controller? If it takes like a few hours I'll probably get one for my DS2 and DS3 playthroughs. If it's days or weeks tho imma not bother.
I don't think anyone could tell how much time YOU would need for that, since it varies from person to person. But IMO it would take quite a lot of time to learn to use it in an FPS where you have to be precise. But in a game like Dark Souls, it is much faster to get used to.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think anyone could tell how much time YOU would need for that, since it varies from person to person.

I don't want to specify it down to minutes bro, I'm asking for a rough estimate - days, weeks, months.

It always amuses me when people assume learning to use controller is something hard. For fuck's sake, it's a simpler device than keyboard/mouse combo that also lets you relax in a chair while playing, with all buttons instantly reachable without having to move your hands anywhere. If you can learn to play PC games with KB/M you can sure as shit learn to play a console action game with a gamepad.

I don't want to specify it down to minutes bro, I'm asking for a rough estimate - days, weeks, months.

:lol: How about half an hour or less. And I suggest Xbox One pad, or 360 if you wanna be cheaper.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Or 360 if you want a better one.

Just don't go wireless. The controller itself was able to witstand some pretty heavy abuse but the receiver crapped out in less than two years and i had to get a cheap Chinese surrogate because Microsoft charges an arm and a leg for their components. Also, you'd have to get a charger kit (battery + cable) because the controller doesn't come with any of that shit.

Go wired and go 360. Also, make sure it is actually Microsoft because all the 360 clones i've seen are kinda shit in terms of build quality.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tutorial: How to make a popular thread on Codex

1. Have a shitty opinion
2. Make a thread
3. Ask other members what they think
4. Ignore their arguments
5. Repost your shitty opinion
6. ???
7. PROFIT!!!

Cromwell

Arcane

Just don't go wireless. The controller itself was able to witstand some pretty heavy abuse but the receiver crapped out in less than two years and i had to get a cheap Chinese surrogate because Microsoft charges an arm and a leg for their components. Also, you'd have to get a charger kit (battery + cable) because the controller doesn't come with any of that shit.

Go wired and go 360. Also, make sure it is actually Microsoft because all the 360 clones i've seen are kinda shit in terms of build quality.

Its ok to buy a clone if its not to cheap. I bought mine years ago to play dmc 4 and it still works without issues. Youre right about the wireless shit, its not needed for pc comtrollers since you sit at the cmputer either way and not 10 metres away from your machine

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hate the 360 one, too clunky and bulky. Can you use a PS3/4 controller on the PC? How?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I hate the 360 one, too clunky and bulky. Can you use a PS3/4 controller on the PC? How?

I use a regular bluetooth dongle and a program called InputMapper. It lets you use a PS4 controller with any game that also supports a 360 controller.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

And what is better about it? I find Xbone pad to be more comfortable plus it has a much better d+pad. And nicer feeling vibrations.

Vibrations are for fags.

I like the triggers better in the 360 and the sticks were a bit too small and also too sensitive for my tastes when i tried the Xbone one. I'm not a dedicated player of fighting games so i never cared much about the d-pad. The only arcade games i play seriously are shmups and for those i use the stick (maybe this is heretical to some, i don't know).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I have dainty childlike lady fingers, so there.
Not even hair on the back of my hands.

I barely ever play fighting games too and when I do I use sticks anyway. Xbone d-pad however definitely makes life easier in Dark Souls. Sticks indeed are looser and more sensitive than on 360 pad but that is only a matter of getting used to them. Triggers on xbone pad feel much better to me too compared to 360. Dunno man, I guess it really does come down to size of hands for which one feels better. And fuck you, vibrations are cool.
Though really who cares, both are good and I would easily pick them over playstation pads any day.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Dark Souls is an okay game if you have a crapton of hours to waste, but it's definitely overrated, just like any well-hyped game is. Call it "competent marketing", if you will.

At least in the case of DS series, the praise is partially deserved, unlike many other overhyped games like Bethesda's abominations.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
:lol: You expected anything else from him? He actually likes skyrim
How was posting a list of 100 things wrong with it liking it? Mind you it's still pathetic that people can't beat the first boss in DS. Maybe it's just because I beat DeS beforehand but nothing I fought in DS was that hard.

Cadmus

Arcane
omg vavra go pley skyrim u nerd fat fuck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom