Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

raeven

Educated
Well BG3 is a gay reddit social sim
What does that even mean?
It means the codex is not about traditional methods of making RPGs anymore, it's about bullshit.
And what the hell does that mean?

Are you all smoking reefa?
Lol I'm just saying that people here talk more about whatever woke means than they talk about CRPGs.
Because there is more and more woke shit in our RPGs. You like gay sex, we do not like BG3. That is ok, I am sure your wife's boyfriend agrees with you.
Pretty sure you're right about that

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Well BG3 is a gay reddit social sim
What does that even mean?
It means the codex is not about traditional methods of making RPGs anymore, it's about bullshit.
And what the hell does that mean?

Are you all smoking reefa?
Lol I'm just saying that people here talk more about whatever woke means than they talk about CRPGs.
Because there is more and more woke shit in our RPGs. You like gay sex, we do not like BG3. That is ok, I am sure your wife's boyfriend agrees with you.
Pretty sure you're right about that
whee

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do you chain quote 6 posts?
Idk I just hit reply, I thought
Pyramids are cool.
XMIruIv.png
quote pyramid x 1

Ivan

Arcane
I'm struggling a bit to find the fun here. I've made it to the mainland, have my first mine, and am moving east (just landed at the square with the brothel). Stealth killing was a frustrating experience, spent many a reload trying to understand how it works, still don't really get it so I don't rely on it. Are you meant to auto resolve travel encounters, a lot of them feel samey and repetitive. My fav part of the game is nuking enemies with the strong grenades + the C&C has been nice thus far. Still getting used to not having a chance to hit %.

Also, I haven't created my own merc, did I fuck up and are you meant to create as many of your own mercs as possible?

Thanks for any info/tips to getting gud/finding the fun zone.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stealth killing was a frustrating experience, spent many a reload trying to understand how it works, still don't really get it so I don't rely on it.
As far as I remember, there is a chance for any attack made from stealth to result in a critical hit/stealth kill, which is guaranteed to take down the enemy. If you don't kill the enemy right away, or if another enemy sees the first one being killed, combat will start normally.

If you're talking about melee, you first declare an attack, then move the character into melee range at which point the attack is executed automatically.
Are you meant to auto resolve travel encounters, a lot of them feel samey and repetitive.
I would, unless you're outnumbered or severely injured. If you don't want to fight but also don't want to autoresolve, you can sneak through the sector.
My fav part of the game is nuking enemies with the strong grenades + the C&C has been nice thus far.
This is a highlight. I recommend lots of grenades and heavy weapons. Laying down overwatch with a big fuck-off machine gun is very satisfying. Going heavy on the melee is also a lot of fun, and many of the skills are geared towards melee combat so character building is arguably more interesting for that. I would keep a diverse roster that can handle every weapon type (although SMGs are a bit pathetic). If you double up on anything, make it explosives or melee.
Also, I haven't created my own merc, did I fuck up and are you meant to create as many of your own mercs as possible?
No. You can only create one, and like in JA2 it's entirely optional.

Old One

Arcane
Stealth killing was a frustrating experience, spent many a reload trying to understand how it works, still don't really get it so I don't rely on it.

If you're talking about melee, you first declare an attack, then move the character into melee range at which point the attack is executed automatically.

The mechanic for melee stealth kills is tricky until you get used to it, and unless you're using a character who is really, really good at it. Also, the knives you start with are not very good.

Dr.Q is a good character to practice with in the early game. He's got good stealth, and you can use his special martial arts attack aimed at the throat. He might not kill his target outright, but as long as he hits he'll paralyze the target and the target will choke to death before he can move again (usually).

In any case, you need a character with good stealth and melee skills, and especially high dexterity.

Ivan

Arcane
Is there any point in leaving behind weapons for militia to use. It doesn't sound like the "use ordinance" helps the militia fend for themselves. They get toppled so easily, I think it's not even worth building them up at all.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think militia just use stock militia weapons; they don't equip loot that I've ever seen. But you must be playing on some extreme difficulty if fully trained m can't fight back at least a little.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there any point in leaving behind weapons for militia to use. It doesn't sound like the "use ordinance" helps the militia fend for themselves. They get toppled so easily, I think it's not even worth building them up at all.

They get a bit better after levelling up but still can't fend of more than 2 attacks.

Yosharian

Arcane
What. Militia are just cannon fodder used to defend your bases while you train up, or are busy elsewhere.

You're meant to use the free mercs to keep retraining new sacrifices to Khorne every time they die, while you destroy the rest of the map freely

It's worth training them up when your bases are full and you don't have anything else for your free mercs to do

Mark Richard

Arcane
Militias don't use the stash. I think 'use ordinance' only applies with mercenaries present, giving permission for auto-resolve to use the rarer items in their inventory such as grenades to further increase the odds in your favour. It's just a guess though. I never used mercs to support my militia.

A fully trained militia on the default difficulty is able to fend off multiple Legion attacks, though there's some degree of randomness to it. The most common outcome is losing 1 man, but on the odd occasion bad luck strikes and you lose more, and obviously this tips the odds in their next fight. If you're not on an ironman run, reloading can offer a completely different result. Militia are vital throughout the majority of the game as a defensive force. It's difficult to consistently make money without them, because if your mercs are busy defending, then they're not taking new territory. You can't turtle up forever because mines eventually run dry. In my experience the militia only lose relevance when the late game triggers, as they're facing more powerful units and you'll probably have enough cash saved up to just go for the finish line without worrying about holding territory.

Ivan

Arcane
Thanks. I think what happened is that I triggered a nasty story event that sent out better kitted out enemies across that map and completely wiped my progress :D

deuxhero

Arcane
Biggest point of militia is deterrence. The strategic AI seems to view them (especially Elites) as more of a threat than they are on tactical level. After the late game trigger, I had a group of advanced enemies just sit outside my most profitable mine (rather than attack), waiting for reinforcements that would never come, long enough to wipe them out with my newly hired C team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom