Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Playing on mid level with non-forgiving mode is fine. I'm seeing people on Steam complain that ammo is too scarce and single-shot rifles are mandatory.
The single shot weapons, and melee weapons, are stronger AND require less ammo management. You'd expect better performance for the extra ammo shot from rifles and machine guns.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Good tactical game, you give everyone a rifle and autowin everything.
Melee is much stronger.
>free movement from no armor
>free movement from starting turn in cover
>free movement from meleeing enemies
>free movements used TO melee enemies
I wish the action you open combat with would refund the points paid for it, so you can enter from stealth and just delete a group of enemies in melee.
So you are saying you agree with him that it has nuXcom bullshit design?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The Gewehr 98 is too good.
Eh? Omryn couldn't reliably hit with one with his 80+ marksmanship, and half the time he'd headshot and they'd still live. Giving one to a lower marksman character like Livewire was useless. Shotguns seem like the more reliable gun that anyone can do well with. I didn't feel like sniping was worthwhile until I got a Drugonov and modded it up, and ditched Omryn for Raven.

What gun mods are you using? Maybe the scopes and such make a bigger deal. I didn't bother modding any Gewehrs since I assumed they'd be replaced quickly.

You'd expect better performance for the extra ammo shot from rifles and machine guns.
True. The tradeoff of higher ammo consumption is supposed to compensate for the higher overall hit chance of burst/auto fire, but it's a wash if the damage is cut equally. I've found AKs and FNFALs with burst compensators (+1 burst shot) do respectable damage and are more reliable at mid-marksmanship level than a single shot gun, which is higher risk but higher reward. They also have cheaper AP cost to fire and get more overwatch shots, which has tactical considerations. Still, it is complete bullshit to unload a full auto mag on a dude and only deal 20-30 damage.

If the automatics did full damage with each shot, then high-accuracy burst fire would be unstoppable if you could just reliably put three-four rounds into every enemy's head. Still though, I think you could counter that by putting a cap on burst accuracy of 60-70% or something. I agree it's an annoying design decision.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What gun mods are you using? Maybe the scopes and such make a bigger deal. I didn't bother modding any Gewehrs since I assumed they'd be replaced quickly.
There's not a lot of choice when it comes to the Gewehrs. Just the scope that makes the first attack max aim level, and a suppressor.

I don't know what to tell you. Maybe my mercs like me better than yours like you :smug:

I do start almost every single encounter in stealth, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Omryn:
JuOKBzE.png

Best accuracy in the group, but misses are far from a 'rarity.'

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Or just lay out an MG, hit end turn, go make a cup of coffee and come back to a cleared sector.

Almost everything can be ludicrously overpowered in this game. Playing on harder difficulty modes is a must.
Yeah, well, but unless you spend time crafting them, there are not enough bullets in the entire game to feed a single full magazine of that thing, let alone using it as a recurring strategy.
That's also part of the problem: the "sniper strategy" is encouraged twice by being incredibly bullet efficient.

Just no. I'm swimming in ammo and can feed my "Steroid" MG permanently it rips clusters of enemies apart.
I'm using two assault rifles, a Grenade launcher/SMG mix on Berry a sniper and said MG (+shotgun on side) and have had no ammo problems. Once I got close to running out of 7.62 ammo but spreading your weapons to feed different types of ammunition is key here.

You get so much money by scrapping MGs it's laughable.

Just no. I'm swimming in ammo and can feed my "Steroid" MG permanently it rips clusters of enemies apart.
I'm using two assault rifles, a Grenade launcher/SMG mix on Berry a sniper and said MG (+shotgun on side) and have had no ammo problems. Once I got close to running out of 7.62 ammo but spreading your weapons to feed different types of ammunition is key here.

I don't give a shit if you are swimming in ammo or in manure.
I'm mid way through the campaign and I entire categories of weapons that never had more than a full magazine of bullets so far. In some cases I had weapons that I never found ammo for.
And I've not been wasteful at all.
It's also worth stressing that you can "take a break and craft" only in determinate spots and that doing it means wasting few hours every time, in a game where time is your most expensive good.

You can go and check the Steam forum and see that there are already a half dozen discussions on the topic.

gogis

Scholar
Good tactical game, you give everyone a rifle and autowin everything. You can have a merc with 50 marksmanship, he'll still be headshotting enemies left and right across the whole map. Literally just set up anywhere, start combat, keep clicking to headshot everyone. Or give one guy silencer and clear whole map in stealth solo. Keep some explosives to autowin all the scenarios when you're ambushed in close quarters.

All other types of weapons and strategies are pointless. Very tactical and challenging indeed.

I thought inventory system being so simple and lack of Bobby Ray's, was a MAJOR decline, but now I understand, it was a good design decision - what's the point of making a gun shop when all you need is 6 rifles that you find in the first 3 hours, to autowin the whole game.

After just finishing my first playthrough of Phoenix Point, this game is such a dogshit disappointment in comparison, I'll probably force myself to rush to the end just so retards cant tell me "NUH UH ITS AKSHUALLY GREAT GAME YOU JUST DIDN'T PLAY IT ENOUGH TO NOTICE!!!!!!"

My MD hits headshots with 98 once in a blue moon. OK, son, show me stats of your lowliest aim RAMBO who hits more than 70% with rifle or GTFO.
Also, if you place rifle above MG I doubt you any far in the game

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
never had more than a full magazine of bullets
Curious, do you save and reload often during battles, and are you unloading looted guns before scrapping them?

I have hundreds of 7.62 wp, .44, and 9mm, decent shotgun ammo, but nato rounds are more scarce. I also wonder if the game is rubberbanding somehow, and you get more ammo drops when your stocks are low.

gogis

Scholar

I'm mid way through the campaign and I entire categories of weapons that never had more than a full magazine of bullets so far. In some cases I had weapons that I never found ammo for.
It's also worth stressing that you can "take a break and craft" only in determinate spots and that doing it means wasting few hours every time, in a game where time is your most expensive good.

You can go and check the Steam forum and see that there are already a half dozen discussions on the topic.

There are many, MANY places where you can craft ammo you need and you also can breakdown things to get ammo components (I think you can break those grenades with one turn delay). It's very weird that people complain about need to craft things when you had whole deliver/repair/sell/order ammo logistic chains in JA2. It's was huge busywork there and it's much less here. Why complain? If anything, it's an improvement over JA2 (arguably).

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

I have also never crafted ammo.

You can unload all the weapons you can find, that is a full mag on every Assault rifle and up to 180 bullets on finding an MG.

It also costs no time to scrap weapons, you are wrong, modifying doesn't either. The only thing I have ever crafted are Grenades for my grenade launchers out of C4.

b9ejR5Q.png

Shaki

Arbiter
Good tactical game, you give everyone a rifle and autowin everything. You can have a merc with 50 marksmanship, he'll still be headshotting enemies left and right across the whole map. Literally just set up anywhere, start combat, keep clicking to headshot everyone. Or give one guy silencer and clear whole map in stealth solo. Keep some explosives to autowin all the scenarios when you're ambushed in close quarters.

All other types of weapons and strategies are pointless. Very tactical and challenging indeed.

I thought inventory system being so simple and lack of Bobby Ray's, was a MAJOR decline, but now I understand, it was a good design decision - what's the point of making a gun shop when all you need is 6 rifles that you find in the first 3 hours, to autowin the whole game.

After just finishing my first playthrough of Phoenix Point, this game is such a dogshit disappointment in comparison, I'll probably force myself to rush to the end just so retards cant tell me "NUH UH ITS AKSHUALLY GREAT GAME YOU JUST DIDN'T PLAY IT ENOUGH TO NOTICE!!!!!!"

My MD hits headshots with 98 once in a blue moon.
Because you can't read and are dogshit even at the super casual and easy game, literally rightclick on the rifle, click modify, add all mods that add aim level or bonus accuracy per aim level, there you go, guaranteed headshots. It provides so much aim bonus, marksmanship is literally irrelevant.

This is fake news, mercs with 80+ marksmanship miss often, even with triple-aimed headshots. And you can't get enough explosives to spam them, at least not until the midgame. I did have Raven kill three guys in one overwatch, but that's because she was in stealth mode and has high dex, she has near max Marksmanship, and costs almost $20K by herself. So either you're playing on some modded super-easy mode or you're just a liar.

Same answer to you.

Explosives are ezpz, you can craft them + barry has OP ability that constantly produces his own for free, and you don't need them often since on any map that allows you to start fight from decent range, everything will die to your rifles.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished the game. Was gud. I also must echo some people ITT, I never had any ammo problems at any point. Always had an impressive surplus in stock. But I also made sure that my mercs weren't using the same ammo type. Everyone was using different caliber.

gogis

Scholar

My MD hits headshots with 98 once in a blue moon.
Because you can't read and are dogshit even at the super casual and easy game, literally rightclick on the rifle, click modify, add all mods that add aim level or bonus accuracy per aim level, there you go, guaranteed headshots. It provides so much aim bonus, marksmanship is literally irrelevant.

This is fake news, mercs with 80+ marksmanship miss often, even with triple-aimed headshots. And you can't get enough explosives to spam them, at least not until the midgame. I did have Raven kill three guys in one overwatch, but that's because she was in stealth mode and has high dex, she has near max Marksmanship, and costs almost $20K by herself. So either you're playing on some modded super-easy mode or you're just a liar.

Same answer to you.

Explosives are ezpz, you can craft them + barry has OP ability that constantly produces his own for free, and you don't need them often since on any map that allows you to start fight from decent range, everything will die to your rifles.
Where is screenshot with stats? Aiming to 3+ with Gewehr is default mode for any non braindead player. Crap shooters still can't hit shit.
Not to mention scrubs with low AP, like Steroid, can't even prime it fully with 7AP base. Like, you actually don't even understand basic mechanics of the game, it's not just Marksmanship
Where is your stats to prove your bold claim, mate?
Take it now, show to us or GTFO. Or do I need step-by-step guide for you on how to find merc stats?

geno

Savant
I can't decide if I like this game or not. I like how it does somethings, like the quest progression or combats being "open" (specially in some missions like the first fortress). I was not sure about of hiring mercs could click with me but it does: It is the way the game has to adapt to the player style.
But I share most of the complains posted before. The "economy" or the stupid burst fire nerf aren't what you could call an elegant solution. The stealth in real time expects you to be a Starcraft pro-player and you can tell the game is oriented to stealthy gameplay. The inventory or UI seems designed for playing from a couch, which is odd considering that the rest works finely. AI is all over the place: I once was defending a position in a tent and a soldier managed to flank my position and blow my back with a grenade, exposing me. But then in another mission two recruits in the other side of the map couldn't figure out how to reach my position so they just walked around a watchtower and climbing it. For the entire mission. It's relatively easy to cheese enemies.
It has a lot of questionable design choices but I can't deny it's a good game. Sure, it's not Silent Storm but what games can say they are.

Shaki

Arbiter
Where is screenshot with stats? Aiming to 3+ with Gewehr is default mode for any non braindead player. Crap shooters still can't hit shit.
Not to mention scrubs with low AP, like Steroid, can't even prime it fully with 7AP base. Like, you actually don't even understand basic mechanics of the game, it's not just Marksmanship
Where is your stats to prove your bold claim, mate?
Take it now, show to us or GTFO. Or do I need step-by-step guide for you on how to find merc stats?

Most of stats would be skewed since I'm using mostly the same team since the beginning, and tried different weapons, fortunately tho I replaced Steroid with Livewire after I already realized rifles are OP, so she was using only rifles and sometimes throwing a nade.

8tEhCV4.jpg

Notice how her most used weapon is a fucking gewehr, worst rifle in the game that can have only 2 mods and sucks dick, because all better rifles were taken by other team members when she joined. Still she managed nearly 80% accuracy with her fucking 64 marksmanship and low level. Now that I recently gave her a fully modded winchester too, she pretty much doesn't miss at all anymore, and I started exclusively targeting the heads. I'm thinking about downloading the hitchance mod and just screenshoting her hitchances on long range headshots, since I'm pretty sure it would be 100% unless the game has some forced miss chance.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Game surely needs a balance pass. Too many super mercs. Like, you hire Limewire and hack everything, and can pass ALL mech tests in the game. At some point it starts to annoy you s you don't need progression. When you hired Trevor in JA2 it was expensive, not a supermech rokkie from the start.
Also, stealth is super powerful. My two snipers wiped 20-strong groups with ease

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
The Gewehr 98 is too good.
Eh? Omryn couldn't reliably hit with one with his 80+ marksmanship, and half the time he'd headshot and they'd still live. Giving one to a lower marksman character like Livewire was useless. Shotguns seem like the more reliable gun that anyone can do well with. I didn't feel like sniping was worthwhile until I got a Drugonov and modded it up, and ditched Omryn for Raven.

I missed very little with my MC(85 Marksman) and Buns(and got a lot of crits with the crit scope). I don't agree with that statement at all.

Maybe you're trying headshots way out of the weapon's range, or not paying attention to walls and stuff?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Maybe you're trying headshots way out of the weapon's range, or not paying attention to walls and stuff?

Clearly. Also I'm cheaping out and not using scopes on beginner guns.

Worth stating what difficulty people are playing on, I'm on the middle with "forgiving mode" turned off. I also avoid save scumming mid battle, though I do restart the map if I lose a guy.

managed nearly 80% accuracy

So you modded your weapons (spent resources), utilized the environment (system mastery), and chose your targets well (player skill/tactics), and were rewarded by achieving 12% better results than a half-assed player with much less time spent on the game, with a lower leveled character to boot. I think that's pretty good! I mean, what do you WANT to happen? Were you hoping that all your efforts would come to naught, and nothing you did made any difference besides the hard character stats? Are you saying I should achieve the same results as you, without learning the same lessons or devoting the same time to the game? I think it's good when a game rewards a variety of efforts, I think that's one of the best things about RPGs.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Worth stating what difficulty people are playing on, I'm on the middle with "forgiving mode" turned off. I also avoid save scumming mid battle, though I do restart the map if I lose a guy.

So you modded your weapons (spent resources), utilized the environment (system mastery), and chose your targets well (player skill/tactics), and were rewarded by achieving 12% better results than a half-assed player with much less time spent on the game, with a lower leveled character to boot. I think that's pretty good! I mean, what do you WANT to happen? Were you hoping that all your efforts would come to naught, and nothing you did made any difference besides the hard character stats? Are you saying I should achieve the same results as you, without learning the same lessons or devoting the same time to the game? I think it's good when a game rewards a variety of efforts, I think that's one of the best things about RPGs.
I think he is saying he was using common sense and simple options and other players are retarded as a result if they are not capable of the same.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I've been playing on the hardest difficulty(Mission impossible or something) and I've had no trouble at all hitting headshots regularly with the G98. And I don't even have an accuracy scope - like I said, I've been using crit scopes.

However, I always try to shoot within the weapon's range(although many of the shots I've done outside of it were succesful aswell). If you do it out of the range all the time and/or doesn't use the max aim level, your accuracy rate is obviously gonna drop regardless of the weapon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom