Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, another pod bullshit that makes me regret playing Ironman:
1YZ4ngF.jpeg

Basically I talked to this working girls abuser and the AI turn started - before I could do anything Dr Q was slashed for critical 127 dmg.
Shit like this is unaviodable without savescumming or preapring in advance with multiple overwatches for every conversation, unless you know that you are perfectly safe (vide: savescumming)
To be fair, this is a natural consequence of the game having dialogue that can result in hostilities, unlike previous games. If it didn't have the pod system you'd be subjected to an initiative roll instead (or worse, automatically lose initiative the way enemies do if you provoke the attack). The only solution that doesn't result in bullshit deaths is if you're automatically granted the first turn every single time combat starts, which would be ludicrous. For better or worse, the fake first turn the enemies get will result in fewer bullshit deaths than any reasonable alternative, as enemies rarely spend it attacking.

Modron

Arcane
Eh developers have forgotten that the introduction of games rarely makes for good demos. Should just give you a prefab/armed squad and deploy you against an outpost or maybe that defense of the southern port city mission with the granny gang.

spectre

Arcane
To be fair, this is a natural consequence of the game having dialogue that can result in hostilities, unlike previous games. If it didn't have the pod system you'd be subjected to an initiative roll instead (or worse, automatically lose initiative the way enemies do if you provoke the attack). The only solution that doesn't result in bullshit deaths is if you're automatically granted the first turn every single time combat starts, which would be ludicrous. For better or worse, the fake first turn the enemies get will result in fewer bullshit deaths than any reasonable alternative, as enemies rarely spend it attacking.
Dialogue leading to combat happened in JA2, off the top of my head: when you uncovered terrorists or pissed off the army base personnel.
The solutions is to just code in a fucking interrupts system (I swear, everything bad about the same can be traced back to not having that system in place)
This way you still take damage when ambushed, perhaps even losses, but highly experienced and more nimble guys might still try and turn around a crappy situation.

PanteraNera

Arcane
PanteraNera out of all decline here you are the biggest disappointment here. I always assumed you were this autistic hardcore gamer that only wanted the "True experience" based on how much you shit on and nitpicked Phoenix Point (like Sensuki that had a low res CRT monitor for true BG1 experience) but no, you are a hypocrite and like the rest. Such a shame.

Honestly, I gave you one serious reply regarding JA3 and you went going like:
giphy.gif

and a bit of:
DapperMistyBlacklab-size_restricted.gif

And than I was like:
beautiful-time-bye.gif

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dialogue leading to combat happened in JA2, off the top of my head: when you uncovered terrorists or pissed off the army base personnel.
I couldn't think of an example, but you're right.

The solutions is to just code in a fucking interrupts system (I swear, everything bad about the same can be traced back to not having that system in place). This way you still take damage when ambushed, perhaps even losses
Like you say, it's not actually a solution to the problem Beowulf is having. There isn't any good solution, other than reducing damage such that a merc can't possibly die in one turn, which is lame and gay.

To be clear, I don't disagree with you about interrupts, but you can't blame Dr. Q's death on them.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The military base had one officer or something that get pissed off and unload a whole magazine into you. And the bounty hunters I think.

spectre

Arcane
Like you say, it's not actually a solution to the problem Beowulf is having. There isn't any good solution, other than reducing damage such that a merc can't possibly die in one turn, which is lame and gay.

To be clear, I don't disagree with you about interrupts, but you can't blame Dr. Q's death on them.
Yeah, that one sounds like poor encounter design. No argument here.
There was a similar situation on the tutorial island with the minefield, although it had a less extreme outcome for me.

Modron

Arcane
You actually had a few moments to shuffle away before they went straight into combat after starting dialog with them as far as I recall.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How's that 1.13 playthrough coming along, ArchAngel?

There's a demo available now.

And an accolades trailer.

Slowly as I had to leave home for the seaside, but what I played confirmed me how much superior it is to JA3. Why do you think I took my shitting on JA3 to next level?
Now I am even more disappointed by what we got.

ArchAngel

Arcane
PanteraNera out of all decline here you are the biggest disappointment here. I always assumed you were this autistic hardcore gamer that only wanted the "True experience" based on how much you shit on and nitpicked Phoenix Point (like Sensuki that had a low res CRT monitor for true BG1 experience) but no, you are a hypocrite and like the rest. Such a shame.

Honestly, I gave you one serious reply regarding JA33 and you went going like:
giphy.gif

and a bit of:
DapperMistyBlacklab-size_restricted.gif

And than I was like:
beautiful-time-bye.gif
Nah, you kept leaving buttons on all my post like an autist. I was here on 'Dex before these buttons of decline so lets talk instead.

Beowulf

Arcane
Basically I talked to this working girls abuser and the AI turn started - before I could do anything Dr Q was slashed for critical 127 dmg.
Shit like this is unaviodable without savescumming or preapring in advance with multiple overwatches for every conversation, unless you know that you are perfectly safe

Just grenade them?

That requires preexisting knowledge about how the encounter will pan out.
Tbh in my first playthrough I never had them killing my mercs in their first activation.

Alter Sack

Magister
Do items you get vanish if the inventory is full?

I 'bought' a loot box with metaviron and it is nowhere to be found.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Nah, you kept leaving buttons on all my post like an autist.
Uhm, a quick refresh:

you wrote:
I watched gameplay a bit more on twitch and I cannot see what you guys see here. Short range combat, enemy being completely blind to your presence even at close range during daytime.. even in nuXcom enemy has same sight range as players..
People setup MG overwatch from one screen distance, enemy completely blind and then move others to start combat so MG can murder everyone before they get a turn.. this is such terrible gameplay, even worse than nuXcom.

I think you bunch are only enjoying it because it is easy and you feel good beating a game for kids.

to witch I replied:
Well it is the same with me, I can not understand how any "true" fan of the original XCOM can like Phoenix Point.

XCOM and Jagged Alliance are beside Fallout 1(!) my all time favorites. While neither XCOM, nor Fallout managed to ever come close to the old games, Jagged Alliance 3 actually managed to do that, for me.

And ever since Gollop and Snapshot Games fucked up Phoenix Point I completely lost faith in "modern gaming". In fact Jagged Alliance 3 was the least promising game for me, on my small list of games I was looking forward to. Well it surprised me for good, in a positive way.

Does it have short comings? Absolutely! I fucking hate what they did to the inventory, it is a clear downgrade from Jagged Alliance 2 vanilla, and I hoped for something more in line of 1.13. But that is, to me, the worst thing about the whole game.

I can't belief saying this, but I actually think I am close to having as much fun as I had with Jagged Alliance 2, back in the days. That has never happened before. By reading your complains, it is absolutely clear, that you will never get the feel for it.

to witch you said:
What can I tell you, you are obviously not some monocled good tactical game enjoyer like you liked to present yourself. You just have some emotional triggers that you let control you like most of the decline enablers out there.

At this point I just realized that to me it is a waste of time to reply to you any further.

orcinator

Liturgist
Do items you get vanish if the inventory is full?

I 'bought' a loot box with metaviron and it is nowhere to be found.
Some items that are meant to appear won't if the inventory is full so remember to never let Barry's inventory get full lest you have to wait longer to get more barrybombs

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Shaki

Arbiter
Shit like this is unaviodable without savescumming or preapring in advance with multiple overwatches for every conversation, unless you know that you are perfectly safe

Just grenade them?

I mean, if you have a mission to kill some niggers, you go and kill these niggers, not walk up to the one with the big fucking machete and start talking to him. You're pretty much asking to be slashed, I would call it a massive incline if I didn't know that the devs are too stupid to create that situation on purpose, so it must be a happy accident.

Beowulf

Arcane

Just grenade them?

I mean, if you have a mission to kill some niggers, you go and kill these niggers, not walk up to the one with the big fucking machete and start talking to him. You're pretty much asking to be slashed, I would call it a massive incline if I didn't know that the devs are too stupid to create that situation on purpose, so it must be a happy accident.

If you just attack them, you aggro neutral armed characters that you have to kill afterwards. Including named NPC's, so there's that. Besides, the guy with the machete was pretty far away when I initiated the conversation with the abuser. He just closed in while the conversation was playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom