Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It is amusing that dozens pages in Archangel is still conflating "people who like JA2" with "people who like 1.13 mod for JA2"

The frame of reference of the discussion is fundamentally different enough that your current interjection is like one of chicken talking to goose

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is amusing that dozens pages in Archangel is still conflating "people who like JA2" with "people who like 1.13 mod for JA2"

The frame of reference of the discussion is fundamentally different enough that your current interjection is like one of chicken talking to goose
It is same for JA2, enemy is still not blind and deaf. I am not using that famed AI mod for 1.13.
Also I explained I consider 1.13 definitive version of JA2 after researching it.
It is not my fault you are confused fangirl.

raeven

Educated
I consider 1.13 definitive version of JA2 after researching it.

Which version of 1.13? Latest? 7609? 4870?

Which features are the "definitive" ones? NCTH? Food & water? With or without AI mod?

I'm just trying to get a sense of how you propose to have this definitive JA2 experience with 1.13 that you speak of.

:hmmm:

Fargus

Arcane
The one that doesn't crash every 30 minutes would be the definitive version for me. This shit killed my last playthrough.

raeven

Educated
The one that doesn't crash every 30 minutes would be the definitive version for me. This shit killed my last playthrough.
In all fairness, bugginess is something that vanilla, 1.13, and Stracciatella all share

Fargus

Arcane
In all fairness, bugginess is something that vanilla, 1.13, and Stracciatella all share
I'm used to JA2 1.13 crashing on modern systems, just not so furiously.

Never played vanilla game on modern systems, but i used to have windows 98 for a long period of time and my pc could only run games like icewind dale and fallout 2 at the time, but i had no problems with vanilla JA2.

Sunri

Liturgist
Ja 3 not only looks good but is also well optimized and runs smooth even on my potato pc dunno if ja 2 looks better i love sprites and shit, and they look beautiful in icewind dale for example but ja2? i didnt see any stunning visual or backgrounds it's okay, i guess
BZuqcMu.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ja 3 not only looks good but is also well optimized and runs smooth even on my potato pc dunno if ja 2 looks better i love sprites and shit, and they look beautiful in icewind dale for example but ja2? i didnt see any stunning visual or backgrounds it's okay, i guess
BZuqcMu.png
I do agree JA3 looks good and I think its UI is overall better but combat design and mechanics are much worse.
NuXcom had same comparison to UFO but decline in mechanics was even worse.
JA3 is overall better JA successor than what Firaxis gave us in Xcom world. But Firaxis brought back TB into mainstream gaming and I will be thankful for that.
JA3 brought back stances, spending AP for aiming and having many AP for actions, if this catches on for future TB games it will be useful product no matter its other design problems.

Trithne

Erudite
Also I explained I consider 1.13 definitive version of JA2 after researching it.

But it's not - It's a mod. Haemimont didn't set out to make a sequel to 1.13, they made a sequel to JA2. Just because a mod is popular doesn't make it the "definitive" version of the game it modifies. You can't pull out a 1.13 feature and claim they forgot to include it.

Vatnik Wumao
Lol. exactly why I restarted first time. I got to prison first, then I went to fleatown and then again - straight to sanatorium and confronted professor without all clues and preparation to plague questline. She gave me 10 days to get samples which is almost impossible to do starting from the end. Overall I managed to break 5 questlines in my first try and approached them from the end, being puzzled of what's going on. It's funny how game allows you to do that.
The 10 day time limit is caused by your dialogue choices with professor. You can get unlimited time if you allow her to continue harvesting.

ArchAngel

Arcane

But it's not - It's a mod. Haemimont didn't set out to make a sequel to 1.13, they made a sequel to JA2. Just because a mod is popular doesn't make it the "definitive" version of the game it modifies. You can't pull out a 1.13 feature and claim they forgot to include it.
I can claim whatever I want.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
When I first attacked that island outpost way back at the beginning of the game, I had found some proximity detonators and combined them with C4 and tossed them at the enemies, not realizing you needed remote detonators to manually trigger them, so they went to waste.

Final mission, they're still there and still armed. I brought a second team with 3 mortars and just hung back and leveled the place, and finally got the enemies to step on the prox bombs as they scrambled to avoid the mortars.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
End game spoilaz
Anyone been able to get Corazon convicted? I've failed twice now. I've figured out that you can:
- Get Biff to testify against her.
- Get the Major to give up his correspondence with her.
- Get a confession from Corazon herself.

Anything else?

I still absolutely hate that you can't kill her. What a boneheaded decision.

Modron

Arcane
Anything else?
Here are 3 pieces of evidence you don't have might be more I am just about to assault Corazon's base but I've been everywhere else.
- Evidence that colonel Faucheux gassed the refugees, inspect all the points of interest around the camp before talking to him and say he killed them (think it required a medicinal, wisdom, and mechanical check and finally a wisdom check in dialog).
- Communications between the Co. Faucheux and Corazon can be found at his base.
- There is questline starting at the Abandoned Mansion in G8 which involves reuniting a butler with his former employer that yields a piece of evidence against Corazon.

Edit: You only need 4 pieces of evidence so maybe head back to g8 and visit the basement or Faucheux's base before assaulting Corazon.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
End game spoilaz

I was more pissed at Biff getting away with a $50 million diamond for sucking and getting saved my me.

I heard a rumor if you bring sober Larry to the fight he can be talked out of it but no dice. Otherwise not sure what happens if you let the Major kill him, then can you get the diamond from him later?

I ended up recruiting the Major at the end, all the good he did in one last fight.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I heard a rumor if you bring sober Larry to the fight he can be talked out of it but no dice. Otherwise not sure what happens if you let the Major kill him, then can you get the diamond from him later?
I think I had sober Larry for that fight, didn't seem to do anything. If you can't save Biff he just dies and you fail the quest, no further mention of the diamond. I couldn't get there in time in my first playthrough.

The second time, I saved Biff and convinced him to give the diamond to Chimichanga, but in the ending slides it still got sold. That was pretty weird. I guess Chumbawamba is a sneaky old dog.

raeven

Educated
I had found some proximity detonators and combined them with C4 and tossed them at the enemies, not realizing you needed remote detonators to manually trigger them, so they went to waste.

Wait, you need a remote to trigger proximity C4?

Doesn't that make it... Not proximity C4, then?

gogis

Scholar
End game spoilaz
Anyone been able to get Corazon convicted? I've failed twice now. I've figured out that you can:
- Get Biff to testify against her.
- Get the Major to give up his correspondence with her.
- Get a confession from Corazon herself.

Anything else?

I still absolutely hate that you can't kill her. What a boneheaded decision.
You missed archive from mister Ditch

gogis

Scholar
The main problem with comparing JA2 and JA3 that is very prevalent in this thread is the fact, that people conflate JA2 1.13 and vanilla JA2 into one entity.
Vanilla JA2 was also lacking in the tactical department and had similar problems that JA3 inherited from it. 1.13 pushed JA2 from the dual identity of being a turn based tactics game and a light rpg about action/adventure movies, straight into what turned out to be the best tactical simulation of squad based fights.
JA3 actually embraces the silliness of this action movie design and leans more into this light rpg side of JA3. There are still clearly worse elements in some regards, when comparing to vanilla JA2, but there is a lot of good stuff that it does on it's own.

Everyone looking in JA3 for a build-up on what 1.13 provides will be disappointed.
I wasn't and let the game surprise me and it was a good surprise. That's one of the single player games I had most fun playing in a long time.
Bullshit. I am at start of 1.13 run, it is not much different than vanilla JA2 and already tactical combat is much superior. There is no tutorial island bullshit, endless talking at start, short range engagements, blind and stupid enemies, stupid stealth systems, pod systems, overwatch cheese, blind and deaf enemies on the map that do not come to check out what is happening and so on.
You clearly not played much JA2 nor JA3 enough, your posts are outright retarded. I wonder why I keep reading this drivel. Praising JA2 AI is just outright out of asylum. Atleast JA3 have NATO themed troops with significantly diferent AI, while all enemies in JA2 have exactly same AI, just different color shirts
Ok , I will admit I have not seen this advanced JA3 AI as everyone I watched does the same. Put everyone into stealth, move hilariously close to enemy during day, set up overwatch and then murder them all easily and then do same to next pod on same map. This is why I call AI blind and deaf.
In JA2 1.13 there is no way I can approach enemies inside effective range of my weapons before they also see me. I cannot even see them much before they see me without having one person use binoculars that gives tunnel vision instead of nuxcom 360 vision.
And once combat starts they come from everywhere on the map to murder my guys and there was certainly attacks of 4 or 5 guys at once and from multiple directions. Luckily so far enemies mostly have just pistols so they are forced to rush into range but it is going to get very interesting soon.

I play JA2 1.13 EVERY year, 20-40 hours before I am bored out. Last time was last october. You don't know much about 1.13 and it's problems, you obviously have no idea how JA3 works (oh, you watched streams! Jesus...) but you keep coming to this topic to bash the game that people enjoy. WTF is wrong with you? Unless you played the game meaningful time you can't really criticize it in meaningful way. Like seriously, praising 1.13 AI over JA3? What shit you smoking? JA2 AI is braindead, and it's UNIFORM among all human enemies. Here at least you have factions with different behavior.

And I hope you realize that MOST of things you talk here about is not in base JA2, but features of 1.13? Wait for 1.13 version for this game. You comparing mod to baseline game which is retarded. One is for wide audience, another is for autists. It's like comparing base NUXCOM to Long War. Retarded.

edit: btw, there is autistic Kraut JA 1.13 streamer who composed squad with Nigth-Ops/NVG/Silent weapons mid game and was raping with it relentlessly. So much for "there is no stealth in 1.13" bullshit. I will try to dig for it if I get time (and will)

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
I think I had sober Larry for that fight, didn't seem to do anything. If you can't save Biff he just dies and you fail the quest, no further mention of the diamond. I couldn't get there in time in my first playthrough.

The second time, I saved Biff and convinced him to give the diamond to Chimichanga, but in the ending slides it still got sold. That was pretty weird. I guess Chumbawamba is a sneaky old dog.
I had sober Larry and he convinced Biff to give me the diamond. I had Pantagruel at 63% Loyalty and Chimmigimmy didn't show up at all. Now he is retired and didn't want the diamond, and the government troops retook Port Cacao, so I can't give the diamond to the president's daughter.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
and the government troops retook Port Cacao

This aspect is so annoying. Even if you take it back she is gone forever. Had a shit ton of those masks and stuff, rotting in my backpack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom