Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

I was hoping for a sprawling open world with custom professions, character and the like.

Well your character is still customizable, and the problem with having blank slate protagonists is that it inevitably means your background will be the very tired and gay and vague "stranger who ain't from round these parts."

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I was hoping for a sprawling open world with custom professions, character and the like.

Well your character is still customizable, and the problem with having blank slate protagonists is that it inevitably means your background will be the very tired and gay and vague "stranger who ain't from round these parts."
I was expecting something of a better Warband esque game, but it wasn't my type.

Codex Year of the Donut
New Vegas has shown that this isn't true(lonesome road is FAKE and not canon so don't bring it up.) Your background in NV is whatever you choose it to be, there are plenty of times when you can opt to have done something or not.

New Vegas has shown that this isn't true(lonesome road is FAKE and not canon so don't bring it up.) Your background in NV is whatever you choose it to be, there are plenty of times when you can opt to have done something or not.

Fine but name one other game where it wasn't lame. Also in NV, even if you make a withered old man Johnson Nash will still call you youngster :happytrollboy:

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Video about production of KCD cutscenes. It's all in Czech but there might be some hitherto unreleased footage/pics that might be of interest to you.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Booted this game again for the summer, I feel like this game set new standards for me in open world game, since I tend to drop and get bored too easily from other open world games. Maybe it's the environments, I don't think forests like these are done in any other game so well.
37k5AvE.jpeg
Also night encounter with bandit occured. Too tough for me, had to run back to town and let night watch beat him up.

Gerrard

Arcane
Speaking of nights, for a game that supposedly uses GI the lighting at night is really shit.

0fieRqn.jpg

How are the shadows in this scene pitch black? And you can see that they are literally pitch black by adjusting brightness/contrast on this image, there's nothing there. Is there some setting that can change this?
This happens in other places as well, like for example open barns. It's like the shadows cast at night turn into black holes.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Gerrard

I'm far from an expert but I think it looks as if the indoors global illumination in KCD lacks light bounces. There seems to be just one bounce, if it even can be called that.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, I've been playing this game for over 80 hours now, I am halfway through the main story and deep into some of the DLCs. Enjoying it so much - it's basically a thinking man's Elder Scrolls game. Bethesda would do something similar if they still had balls, like they used to in the era of Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Anyway...

I have to tell you one thing, guys. The inquisitorial trial of Johanka in Woman's Lot DLC is fucking great. Long have I waited for such piece of RPG brilliance. So many elements work together to make this scene believable and engaging - your stats (speech and charisma, even reading), your previous deeds and decisions, the books you've managed to read, conversations you had. Relations you created with certain NPCs. When it all goes into action it is a beauty to behold. A well written scene with lots of snarky dialogue, theological debate, moments of genuine comism, but also growing feeling of dread and incoming tragedy. You have to do a lot of legwork and talking before it even begins - and quest compass does not show you the most important factors, you have to use your brain to save the poor girl's life. During the trial you have many possibilities to influence the proceedings, but some things may happen regardless of your actions - you are not the main actor here. The main actors are the inquisitor (who at least in one ending shows a surprising amount of decency) and the accused woman. Also, every possible outcome is interesting and sad in its own, unique way. You can basically help Johanka save her life - or the sincerity of her convictions. But you can't save both.

Great idea and brilliant realization.

RPK

Scholar
So, I've been playing this game for over 80 hours now, I am halfway through the main story and deep into some of the DLCs. Enjoying it so much - it's basically a thinking man's Elder Scrolls game. Bethesda would do something similar if they still had balls, like they used to in the era of Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Anyway...

I have to tell you one thing, guys. The inquisitorial trial of Johanka in Woman's Lot DLC is fucking great. Long have I waited for such piece of RPG brilliance. So many elements work together to make this scene believable and engaging - your stats (speech and charisma, even reading), your previous deeds and decisions, the books you've managed to read, conversations you had. Relations you created with certain NPCs. When it all goes into action it is a beauty to behold. A well written scene with lots of snarky dialogue, theological debate, moments of genuine comism, but also growing feeling of dread and incoming tragedy. You have to do a lot of legwork and talking before it even begins - and quest compass does not show you the most important factors, you have to use your brain to save the poor girl's life. During the trial you have many possibilities to influence the proceedings, but some things may happen regardless of your actions - you are not the main actor here. The main actors are the inquisitor (who at least in one ending shows a surprising amount of decency) and the accused woman. Also, every possible outcome is interesting and sad in its own, unique way. You can basically help Johanka save her life - or the sincerity of her convictions. But you can't save both.

Great idea and brilliant realization.

I never did any of the dlc, but that sounds fascinating

Gerrard

Arcane

Anyway...

I have to tell you one thing, guys. The inquisitorial trial of Johanka in Woman's Lot DLC is fucking great. Long have I waited for such piece of RPG brilliance. So many elements work together to make this scene believable and engaging - your stats (speech and charisma, even reading)
:nocountryforshitposters:
Except you end up with all of those stats/skills maxed halfway through the story.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
On the other hand, the Band of Bastards DLC is quite underwhelming.

I was disappointed by the fact there is no satisfactory conclusion. You don't get to talk with Kuno and his gang for the last time after you report back to Sir Radzig, even though Kuno tells you his crew will remain in the camp for a few more days and tells you to drop by - provided you got the good ending. If you go to them there are no options to talk to any of them.

The villain of the story also never gets enough spotlight to become interesting, even though he should be, from what we hear about him.

It seems like the devs ran out of cash or ideas by the end, which should not be the case, judging from the high number of sales KCD enjoyed.

The dlc is also quite buggy. I had to repeat the final battle several times because my allies attacked me the moment we dispatched the enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom