Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

SlamDunk

Arcane
https://old.reddit.com/r/kingdomcom...will_probably_be_more_populated_according_to/

The creative director of Warhorse Daniel Vávra had a presentation about urbanism in video games a few weeks ago where he said that the game they are currently working on will probably have more NPCs than KCD (KCD has around 1000 NPCs). He also said that during development of the current game they ran out of houses/beds for NPCs, so they had to find a solution for that. Here’s a link for the presentation (it’s in Czech without subtitles).
Probably?

The first thing that came to my mind after reading Vávra's tweet about the presentation was that KC2 will have Prague - or some other larger city - and a lot more non-player characters.

(English subtitles are in the works for that presentation video, by the way.)

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
It sounds good on paper, but numbers alone are not that important. I mean, having a large number of NPCs means nothing if majority of said NPCs are background characters with no meaningful interactions, compared to actors. That said, Kingdom Come: Deliverance had more interactions with NPCs than the average cRPG, so I am interested to see how this develops.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
the amount of memorable npcs in kcd can be counted on one hand, maybe they should have gone with less
If so my hand has a great number of fingers. Anyway, it wasn't merely about quantity but also quality. I'll take a single Priest Godwin, Johanka or Hans Capon for every 10 npcs from other games.
Hans is basically the only notable character because of his character growth.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
the amount of memorable npcs in kcd can be counted on one hand, maybe they should have gone with less
If so my hand has a great number of fingers. Anyway, it wasn't merely about quantity but also quality. I'll take a single Priest Godwin, Johanka or Hans Capon for every 10 npcs from other games.
Hans is basically the only notable character because of his character growth.
Not really.

The Woman's Lot dlc is particularly full of interesting characters. Theresa, Johanka, even the Inquisitor that comes to investigate Johanka's visions are all memorable. And you get to visit Father Godwin in the course of this dlc, which is always a great event.

Few characters have as much character development as Johanka and her trial is a marvel of RPG reactivity.

Hell, even Adela from the bathhouse gets some character growth thanks to the Madonna of Sassau quest :)

Codex Year of the Donut
The Woman's Lot dlc is particularly full of interesting characters.
"You have to pay extra if you want good characters"
When discussing a game (especially many years since its release, when you can get the complete edition for pennies) it's good to remember about the dlcs.
Would you prefer I blame them for charging for the good characters or blame them for releasing an unfinished game?

Funposter

Arcane
The amount of memorable NPCs isn't really the concern, is it? You play this game for the medieval life simulator aspects and systems, pretty much all of which are enhanced by greater NPC density, scheduling, etc. Plenty of other games have good writing and memorable characters. There's a give and take.

Zlaja

Arcane
Plenty of other games have good writing and memorable characters

blinkwtf-wtf.gif

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The Woman's Lot dlc is particularly full of interesting characters.
"You have to pay extra if you want good characters"
When discussing a game (especially many years since its release, when you can get the complete edition for pennies) it's good to remember about the dlcs.
Would you prefer I blame them for charging for the good characters or blame them for releasing an unfinished game?
I would prefer you stopped criticizing KC:D for one of the better aspect of the game: interesting and memorable characters.

But perhaps I'm expecting too much. Maybe for some people Skyrim and Fallout 76 is the pinnacle of modern roleplaying and nothing can change their minds :-D

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The first thing that came to my mind after reading Vávra's tweet about the presentation was that KC2 will have Praha - or some other larger city - and a lot more non-player characters.
IIRC, it's always been known that the sequel will take place in Prague, necessitating certain structural changes to accommodate a much larger urban environment than any existing in KCD. On the plus side, this should result in the sequel being even better as a medieval crime simulator than the original.

Victor1234

Educated
IIRC, it's always been known that the sequel will take place in Prague, necessitating certain structural changes to accommodate a much larger urban environment than any existing in KCD. On the plus side, this should result in the sequel being even better as a medieval crime simulator than the original.

Only for those who those who prefer the highbrow arts. For the plebs, there's always Grand Theft Horse (aka Rustler):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/844260/Rustler_Grand_Theft_Horse/

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The first thing that came to my mind after reading Vávra's tweet about the presentation was that KC2 will have Praha - or some other larger city - and a lot more non-player characters.
That sounds really awesome!
I think Prague could definitely work as a setting.
Nuremberg_chronicles_-_praha.png

Wunderbar

Arcane
Idk what are you talking about. "KC: Prague" was cancelled years ago, Warhorse is currently living off of selling soap.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Afaik they said creating larger settlements like Rattay or Sassau with the CryEngine limitations was a pain in the ass. Not sure Prague is even viable in CE3, at least not with the level of detailed simulation KCD has. This engine was made for linear shooters, not sprawling RPGs with thousands of routine-based NPCs. But I'd love to be surprised.

deama

Prophet
Afaik they said creating larger settlements like Rattay or Sassau with the CryEngine limitations was a pain in the ass. Not sure Prague is even viable in CE3, at least not with the level of detailed simulation KCD has. This engine was made for linear shooters, not sprawling RPGs with thousands of routine-based NPCs. But I'd love to be surprised.
Maybe that's why it's taking so long? Cause they been working with crytek to extend the engine?
Or maybe coming up with their own ways to fix it themselves, e.g. replace NPC scheduling with machine learning where it doesn't matter if an npc is a minute off his schedule, should reduce CPU processing if done right I think.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Vavra is ambitious, but a medieval city with custom NPCs, each with their own schedule, house and bed, is insane and there's no CPU on the market that could run it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
How come a small German studio have managed to pull that off back in the early 00s, despite working with a much slower hardware?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom