Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

BruceVC

Magister
when I got the ring the miller asked for from the executioner
That one is fun on hardcore. Took me a while to locate the right area lol
I dont know how you guys can play without map markers, that takes some serious exploration skill. I can understand the challenge and satisfaction but I prefer getting guidance navigating the map :-D

Yosharian

Arcane
when I got the ring the miller asked for from the executioner
That one is fun on hardcore. Took me a while to locate the right area lol
I dont know how you guys can play without map markers, that takes some serious exploration skill. I can understand the challenge and satisfaction but I prefer getting guidance navigating the map :-D
It helps when you've already played the game, I just really like the way it makes the game super realistic from a survival perspective. Towns are actual safe havens, travelling into the woods is genuinely dangerous because if you lose your way, shit can go south very quickly. The part where you escape on horseback from the town early on was quite funny because I kept going in the wrong direction and getting caught

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Game isn't balanced for master strikes either
Isn't the consensus that it's better to have an unbalanced game, over one that's Balanced™?
Exactly. A smart player is able to control "balance" on the fly, as he is the player and the "game master" of the whole process of playing the game. When the designer tries to go all on in on being the "game master", he will inevitably fail. The game turns from a player-guided experience into an interaction with an unsophisticated chat bot. It takes lived experience to understand this, which is why designers like Josh Sawyer keep failing at it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
which is actually one of the greatest combat systems in any game ever.
oh-wait-youre-serious.gif

You can act like a retard all you want, but my statement is still 100% true.

The problem is that most gamers like you are conditioned to like shit combat, by the thousand and one games with shit combat that came before. Stuff like Skyrim, where it's just a left click spam, or twitchy crap like From Software games. Roll during this iFrame...

None of this shit is ANYTHING like real combat, which is actually interesting and complex. KCD, on the other hand, with a few slight adjustments via mods, is very much like real combat, deep and tactical and interesting.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
KCD, on the other hand, with a few slight adjustments via mods, is very much like real combat, deep and tactical and interesting.

I regularily fight in LARP against people who learned real HEMA fighting and this just can't be translated into a computer game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The problem is that most gamers like you are conditioned to like shit combat, by the thousand and one games with shit combat that came before. Stuff like Skyrim, where it's just a left click spam, or twitchy crap like From Software games. Roll during this iFrame...

None of this shit is ANYTHING like real combat, which is actually interesting and complex. KCD, on the other hand, with a few slight adjustments via mods, is very much like real combat, deep and tactical and interesting.
KCD's gestures based combat isn't unprecedented. Although the mechanics were much more simple, there was similar melee combat in Thief, in 1998.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Hardly the best combast system ever made lmao but it's arguably the best first person melee system yet, warts and all. With more developing time might have become really something.

Vlajdermen

Arcane

KCD's gestures based combat isn't unprecedented. Although the mechanics were much more simple, there was similar melee combat in Thief, in 1998.
Sure, but Porky is still right on why it's good. And if Thief started it, KCD deserves credit for developing it further. God knows it yielded good results.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Hardly the best combast system ever made lmao but it's arguably the best first person melee system yet, warts and all. With more developing time might have become really something.
What? I thought the melee combat was complete shit. Mount and Blade has way better first person melee.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
None of this shit is ANYTHING like real combat, which is actually interesting and complex.
Except realism isn't the measure of a combat system's quality
Also just about anything IRL is more nuanced than any set of game mechanics - even the simple act of walking is far too complex for any game to simulate

Also
KCD, on the other hand, with a few slight adjustments via mods, is very much like real combat, deep and tactical and interesting.
No

I regularily fight in LARP against people who learned real HEMA fighting and this just can't be translated into a computer game.

Sure it can. Maybe not 100%, but to a degree that creates something in a similar vein.

Hows is Thief combat anything like KCD? I usually played Thief on hardest difficulty where you weren't supposed to use combat (at least against humans), but from what I recall, it was a very simple system.

None of this shit is ANYTHING like real combat, which is actually interesting and complex.
Except realism isn't the measure of a combat system's quality
Also just about anything IRL is more nuanced than any set of game mechanics - even the simple act of walking is far too complex for any game to simulate

It often is. Realism forces complexity and nuance and depth, all good things for game systems.

BruceVC

Magister
I'm 25 hours into KC:D and Im loving it, some general comments

• the open world design reminds me of an Elder Scrolls game. If you see a building or mountain you can go and explore. I like how the quests are designed, some have a timer on acceptance but most you can do when you ready
  • The skills advancement system works nicely, I regularly go hunting to increase my agility or train with Captain Bernard to learn combat and increase my combat skills
  • I love the numerous activities like hunting, archery competitions and the opportunity to steal items
  • The economy is realistic and balanced, you really appreciate finding items on bandits and selling them to increase your wealth
  • I have never been so grateful to get a horse during the Ginger quest.
  • I really enjoy the entire realistic implementation of a Medieval world, I love fantasy but its nice to see something different
  • I am enjoying the Romance arcs, I am courting Theresa and taking things slow. Its not my normal hot Viconia with fishnet stockings and knee-high boots Romance but its worthwhile
  • I am getting more proficient in combat and thats always a good thing
  • Its as realistic as it can be without being having annoying mechanics, the weight system works when you can use your horse for storage
And I can carry on with whats great about this game but I have covered the main points

I dont have any notable criticisms , one minor thing is how animals dont run away from you constantly even when you shooting arrows at them, they tend to stop so you can kill them. This makes hunting easy and unrealistic but I dont mind this :salute:

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
This game's on sale and I can't be bothered to read through this whole thread to see if it's good or not. Can someone tell me if it's worth playing?

BruceVC

Magister
This game's on sale and I can't be bothered to read through this whole thread to see if it's good or not. Can someone tell me if it's worth playing?
Yes, absolutely worth it. Its a medieval themed RPG and has several realistic metrics around survival and a good skills advancement system

But definitely worth it :salute:

JDR13

Arcane
Yes, it's a great medieval simulator. Just be aware that if you're looking for fantasy elements you won't find them here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom