Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This game's on sale and I can't be bothered to read through this whole thread to see if it's good or not. Can someone tell me if it's worth playing?
Yes, it's a great medieval simulator. Just be aware that if you're looking for fantasy elements you won't find them here.

Alchemy almost qualifies though.

BruceVC

Magister
I have to say the way they designed alchemy, reading, pickpocketing and lockpicking is overall the best way I have ever seen these mechanics done in any RPG. To go into more detail

• lockpicking: it really is challenging and fun every time, I have broken lots of lockpicks
  • reading: it makes sense how you progress and learn skills. I find myself taking 2-3 days on most books
  • alchemy: by far the best and most interesting skill to use. I love how each recipe requires different steps to create the necessary potion. Lots of fun
  • pickpocketing: a unique system, I have never seen anything quite like it and its creates a real challenge every time you commit this crime

I hope other gaming companies take some tips from how Warhorse creates these activities because they worthwhile :cool:

Wesp5

Arcane
[*]lockpicking: it really is challenging and fun every time, I have broken lots of lockpicks

What is fun about a mini game like that in a rpg? If real world lock picks would break as easy as those in games, we won't have any burglary at all...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
[*]lockpicking: it really is challenging and fun every time, I have broken lots of lockpicks

What is fun about a mini game like that in a rpg? If real world lock picks would break as easy as those in games, we won't have any burglary at all...
How often lockpicks in early 1400s used to break?

Also if games had to be like RL we wouldn't have any because you'd have to wait weeks or months of real time to recover from a skirmish with orcs.

e65.gif

BruceVC

Magister

Also if games had to be like RL we wouldn't have any because you'd have to wait weeks or months of real time to recover from a skirmish with orcs.

e65.gif

Yes, I agree. I understand Wesp5 point but end of the day its a game and certain components cant be 100% realistic or the game would be frustrating and or boring. For example take eating in any game and how that works and how you recover energy or become fatigued, its never going to be as realistic as RL

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also weapon training would take years, not days.

I'm sure one day somebody will make a game that you'll have to play every day for 3 years straight to be able to venture out of the tutorial and beat your first basic-bitch bandit but if they do, I think I'll pass.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
Also weapon training would take years, not days.

I'm sure one day somebody will make a game that you'll have to play every day for 3 years straight to be able to venture out of the tutorial and beat your first basic-bitch bandit but if they do, I think I'll pass.
You could always just go the System Shock 2 method of selecting a specialization then fast forwarding to one year later.

Wesp5

Arcane

I don't know, but still I guess thieves didn't carry hundreds of them around like in Skyrim or other games. There are much better ways to do lockpicking for example in minigames that don't have you waste resources like in The Dark Mod or Bloodlines. Because another problem is that in the other kind of games you always find lockpicks lying around and I am pretty sure this never happened in the early 1400s ;). Worst offender of that recently of course was "The Outer World"...

spectre

Arcane

I don't know, but still I guess thieves didn't carry hundreds of them around like in Skyrim or other games. There are much better ways to do lockpicking for example in minigames that don't have you waste resources like in The Dark Mod or Bloodlines. Because another problem is that in the other kind of games you always find lockpicks lying around and I am pretty sure this never happened in the early 1400s ;). Worst offender of that recently of course was "The Outer World"...
Well, what's a lockpick exactly?
Since we're talking about 1400s, it would mostly be warded locks. You pick those by taking a piece of malleable metal and approximating a shape of the key so that it can rotate inside the lock and push the mechanism.
Depending on the compexity of the lock, sometimes a bent nail would do, even better if you get your hands on a piece of flexible but durable wire.
A more advanced locksmith kit might have a bunch of commonly used "skeleton" templates. The advantage over a bit of wire is if you happen to have just the right outline,
you get the lock open instantly and with no additional noise as you fumble about.
Now, for the most advanced locks, we're talking highly secure vaults, the keys would have very intricate shapes and you'd need to make an impression of the original
(basically press it against the wax) then make a copy in the workshop.
This of course would be problematic in game, because if you've already gotten your hands on something, you almost never need to give it back, so tackling each such lock would basically need its own questline.
Since it's basically about tracing the shape, a more gamey but still realistic approach would be if you were to look at the key and then try and recreate the desired outline from memory,
one that is "just right" to bypass the warding internals and is still able to exert enough force to push the mechanism open.
It's not exactly rocket surgery, but would require a bit of knowledge about how a lock is built, and I expect artisans behind it would be pretty secretive about this shit.

Then again, if it's the 1400s we're talking most schmucks wouldn't be able to afford locks in the first place. It would be more expensive than whatever bit of valuables they'd be trying to secure.
I read somewhere that people these days tended to rely on hired men for security, and locks were there to keep those hired men honest.

I think the main problem here is that lockpicks are seen as an expendable resource and a broken lockpick is pretty much the only failed state in that particular minigame.
I get that lockpicking is a tactile activity which doesn't translate well to vidya game controls, but the fact of the matter is - picks in games break way too fucking much.

Last edited:
Just picked up Kingdom Come: Deliverance Royal edition for $9.99 at gog, 75% off, which seemed like a decent buy for base game & DLCs... Any must have mods or should I play it vanilla?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
alchemy: by far the best and most interesting skill to use. I love how each recipe requires different steps to create the necessary potion. Lots of fun
Its lots of fun until you unlock the perk that removes the mini-game entirely making it instant. Much like Morrowind it is a very game breaking thing especially for the in-game economy, it renders acquiring resources redundant. I feel like it could've been done better.
You're in fact punishing the player for getting good at something because you're reducing its interactivity when really it should be getting more complex.
reading: it makes sense how you progress and learn skills. I find myself taking 2-3 days on most books
I do really love how it handled reading. The fact that the game starts you off as illiterate is an awesome thing because it makes you feel accomplished when your character can finally read.
pickpocketing: a unique system, I have never seen anything quite like it and its creates a real challenge every time you commit this crime
Pickpocketing is something that I feel a lot of games get wrong, they did a good attempt with this game but unfortunately I see no need when I can just knock the person out and steal what I want anyway, I found too few instances where I needed to use it, just wait till night, sneak into their room and beat em up.

Also to play without map markers, I find a major landmark, align myself to the landmark for heading, check the map. I then know what my heading is. Look around the surroundings until I can figure out where North, South, East and West are. If all else fails head to the highest point that you can as its pretty obvious then where you are. Getting lost in the Forrest can suck so mostly I just keep moving until I find signage, landmarks or a river that indicate roughly where I am. Camp sites are really handy in forests. You'll also have an easy time if you align yourself towards your objective heading before leaving town as then you can pretty much travel straight ahead and just be mindful if you have to deviate due to a river or cliff. The worst is if you have to evade bandits as most of the time I get disorientated and forget what my heading was, so best you just head to the highest point again or use the roads to get your heading back.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Just picked up Kingdom Come: Deliverance Royal edition for $9.99 at gog, 75% off, which seemed like a decent buy for base game & DLCs... Any must have mods or should I play it vanilla?
Your post sounds like exactly what I asked when I first played KC:D 3 weeks ago :-D

I generally always use mods for all games I play, I find mods enhance the overall experience but I make sure the mods dont unbalance any game and I make sure they lore friendly. I included the post I made where Yosharian gave me suggested mods

If you want a hardcore experience than most people will tell you dont use mods on first playthrough but in my opinion as someone playing this game now the mods below dont detract from the overall fun or challenge in any significant way. But one mod that I would absolutely recommend is the " save anywhere\unlimited saving" mod especially if you new to the game. The mechanics take time to learn, like combat and lockpicking, and you want to be able to restore while you learn things

The game does provide a " normal " saving system using a specific potion but its not adequate if you are a newbie and learning.

But its an amazing game and well worth playing, keep us updated of your progress :salute:
I have some exciting news, I have decided to play KC:D next. Are there any non-spoiler suggestions about the game that people can suggest and are there any " must have " mods I should install. I went onto Nexus and there doesnt seem be anything significant?

I dont know much about this game except its known as a realistic and entertaining medieval experience :cool:
Ok so here is my current modlist:

Yet Another Sorting Mod (PTF)
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1438
- very cool mod that sorts items based on their categories. Awesome QoL.
- the author of this mod has updated many other mods, go to the Posts section and look at the top pinned comment
- from that pinned comment I use the following mods that Drake0713 has updated (use HIS LINKS):
-- Alternate Food Spoil PTF version (I can't be bothered with food spoilage)
-- Harvest Range PTF version (It reduces the grind from herb picking massively)
-- Richer Fences PTF version (this one is probably the most cheaty one, it makes fences wayyy better)
-- Subtle Random Encounters PTF version
-- Perk Fixes

Archery Mod - Faster Arrows
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1376
- makes archery less shit

Faster Archery - PTF Edition (HARD)
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1100
- makes archery less shit

Balanced Bows In Tiers
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1125
- some slightly improved itemization for bows

Bushes - Collision Remover
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/591
- great QoL mod

Enhanced Eyes/Hair
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/969
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/922
- self-explanatory

Instant Herb Picking with Hand Movement
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/367
- makes herb picking not make you want to kill yourself

More Artwork Loading Screens
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/638
- self-explanatory

Poison Overhaul
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/765
- makes poison less shit

No Aim Spread (Perks version)
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1375
- makes bow progression nicer by adding two bow perks

Stay Clean Longer (PTF)
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1232
- makes staying clean less tedious / more realistic

HD Clock Retexture
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/353
- self-explanatory

Unlimited Saving
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1
- self-explanatory, don't use if you want to try KCD's stupid saving system

Weightless Stackables
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/890
- nice QoL mod but definitely removes some realism

I built this list by looking at the things I wanted to change about the game and determining what the best mods for that were (i.e. bow changes because im making a bow / thief character) and then I also looked at some of the most up-to-date modlists and poached good mods from there. I also relied quite a bit on Drake0713's wisdom regarding what were some good additions to the list, and used quite a few of his updated versions of other mods.

Lastly if you are going to take a more traditional knight approach to combat using shields, armor, swords etc, then I would highly recommend looking at some lightweight mod that tweaks master strikes or the way the AI uses them, as Modron suggests. As I said I'm making a thiefy character this time so I didn't bother.

I hate when games have one playstyle that triumphs over others. And yes, I'm talking about archery on horseback. Enemies CAN'T counter this. Even if they have archers you can just separate main enemy knights from the rest by simply galloping away from the battle. And the AI doesn't really have "tracking" behavior, so the archers just carry on with their everyday NPC business as you lose their line of sight.
The only way to fix it would be to make AI really smart and make them hide behind cover inside buildings/forests instead of chasing you in straight line, or by adding a cavalry enemy type. In addition enemy formations could be useful here. Knights should stick with archers when you are on horseback.

BruceVC

Magister
I hate when games have one playstyle that triumphs over others. And yes, I'm talking about archery on horseback. Enemies CAN'T counter this. Even if they have archers you can just separate main enemy knights from the rest by simply galloping away from the battle. And the AI doesn't really have "tracking" behavior, so the archers just carry on with their everyday NPC business as you lose their line of sight.
The only way to fix it would be to make AI really smart and make them hide behind cover inside buildings/forests instead of chasing you in straight line, or by adding a cavalry enemy type. In addition enemy formations could be useful here. Knights should stick with archers when you are on horseback.
Interesting, I haven't committed to any combat on my horse. I use stealth and arrows to initially kill and weaken bandit and Cuman camps and then fight people on foot but I havent used my horse once for combat

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played with instant herb picking and no bushes collision. Just finished my second playtrough yesterday. Not hardcore though. I tried to emulate hardcore As much as possible, but by the end i just fast travel everywhere because it got old in the last stretch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom