Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Yosharian

Arcane
FWIW I agree that KCD is a deeply flawed game, I still love it though for what it does do well

Modron

Arcane
Thanks Yoshie, I like your fastidious way of selecting mods that just enhance the gaming experience without undermining the overall mechanics and fundamental challenge. While I was waiting for your mod list I was doing some research on Nexus and one or two of your recommended mods I have already downloaded

But I definitely will be playing this weekend so I will make an update post later with my views :salute:
Dunno a lot of them are plain cheatish especially the archery/saving/stacking ones. Sway goes down as you skill up, game isn't balanced for being able to machine gun loose arrows, and bows don't need to be stronger you can already 1-2 shot dudes in platemail with arrows to the face. You can save anywhere in game with savior schnapps which are pretty easy to get from merchants and super abundant once you learn to read and start brewing your own.

Yosharian

Arcane
Game isn't balanced for master strikes either
Isn't the consensus that it's better to have an unbalanced game, over one that's Balanced™?
That's one way to do it, sure.

Myself I just wanted to have a fun playthrough where I make enemies into pin-cushions. I wanted bows to be my main way of fighting in combat, as well as doing thiefy stabby-stabby shenanigans when I can sneak up on people safely.

I don't particularly like KCD's approach to normal combat and I don't care to play another 70+ hours of backpedalling repeatedly while being chased by 5 enemies. Even if you fix master strikes, fundamentally that is the experience of melee combat in this game and I hate it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Who gives a shit

I do dumb fuck (and lots of other people apparently) which is why I mentioned it. It makes the game better and harder to play which I find fun. If people jump right in with those mods then they might as well fucking play Skyrim and then commit suicide and nuke their account here while they are at it maybe not in that order.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd always argue people should go without mods for the first playthrough, unless it's very basic QOL/Graphical stuff.

They can always install some of those mods later in the playthrough if they feel the need.

Wesp5

Arcane
Myself I just wanted to have a fun playthrough where I make enemies into pin-cushions. I wanted bows to be my main way of fighting in combat, as well as doing thiefy stabby-stabby shenanigans when I can sneak up on people safely.

I don't particularly like KCD's approach to normal combat and I don't care to play another 70+ hours of backpedalling repeatedly while being chased by 5 enemies. Even if you fix master strikes, fundamentally that is the experience of melee combat in this game and I hate it.

I completely agree! I am a first person shooter guy myself and could never figure out the melee combat of KCD. Still I managed to reach the first boss fight against the Cuman chief or whoever and even killed him with my bow only to then see an in-engine cutscene in which Henry was using a sword instead. This was the moment I stopped playing the game...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Isn't the consensus that it's better to have an unbalanced game, over one that's Balanced™?
Depends on your definition of balance. If you can break the game too easily - an endgame weapon is available too soon, you can implode the economy a few hours in, a basic spell can melt endgame mobs etc. - than that's retarded and nobody sane would argue for that. Maybe except for the people - if you can call them that - who enjoy playing games on God Mode.

That consensus you're talking about is more of a backlash against Sawyer's idea of balance than anything else. Against ubiquitous low-stakes drudgery where nothing is too powerful or too exciting for fear of being too OP.

But there's a difference between "hard work = exciting rewards" and Sawyer's school of "no fun allowed no matter what".

Paul_cz

Arcane
killed him with my bow only to then see an in-engine cutscene in which Henry was using a sword instead. This was the moment I stopped playing the game...
Having cutscene show different weapon than used sounds like an immensely petty reason to stop playing a game, assuming you enjoyed it otherwise. Wtf.

Wesp5

Arcane
killed him with my bow only to then see an in-engine cutscene in which Henry was using a sword instead. This was the moment I stopped playing the game...
Having cutscene show different weapon than used sounds like an immensely petty reason to stop playing a game, assuming you enjoyed it otherwise. Wtf.
Of course I didn't enjoy it otherwise, this was just the final straw :)!

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

He's right tho. The game's premise is all about "immerscion!", and then ruins it all by abusing cutscenes. And they aren't even prerendered, so there's no reason why the helmets and the correct weapon shouldn't be shown.

Good lord, do I need to make a thread with a melee guide for KCD? Never imagined so many people on the Codex would not understand melee combat in this game, which is actually one of the greatest combat systems in any game ever.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Good lord, do I need to make a thread with a melee guide for KCD? Never imagined so many people on the Codex would not understand melee combat in this game, which is actually one of the greatest combat systems in any game ever.
- Get the Clinch perk
- Get in a clinch
- Stagger the enemy
- Win

V17

Educated

He's right tho. The game's premise is all about "immerscion!", and then ruins it all by abusing cutscenes. And they aren't even prerendered, so there's no reason why the helmets and the correct weapon shouldn't be shown.
I believe that they are prerendered. They look like they're rendered in-engine, but I was playing the game on a potato PC which greatly struggled with performance and the cutscenes were always perfectly fluent.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I believe that they are prerendered. They look like they're rendered in-engine, but I was playing the game on a potato PC which greatly struggled with performance and the cutscenes were always perfectly fluent.
If they weren't pre-rendered they would feature your actual character with your actual gear, duh.

V17

Educated
I was trying to be needlessly polite. My brain has degenerated after years spent on sites like reddit (feel free to "cringe" this, it is warranted) where you cannot ever be direct.

ahem.

HOW THE FUCK DID YOU COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE CUTSCENES MUST BE IN-ENGINE AND JUST DISPLAY THE WRONG EQUIPMENT FOR NO FUCKING REASON, YOU COCK-JUGGLING THUNDERCUNT??

I hope that was better.

Rather share your views on this thread, just summarize it. Im interested :cool:

Summary: Warhorse created an amazing melee combat system in KCD, very close to real life HEMA combat. However, they then fucked up on two fronts:

1. They do a bad job of communicating how it's supposed to work to the player (that trainer guy tries to, but it basically requires the player to experiment and understand things or read a guide like this).

2. They introduce a few broken mechanics on top of an otherwise great system, like Masterstrike and Clinch, or damage scaling in mid-late game that breaks the system.

So to address point 1, you need to read something like the below. To address point 2, install a mod or two, some good ones are outlined in my modding addendum linked in the Codex KCD review.

KCD melee combat, similarly to the real thing, is all about alternating attacks and defenses while looking for an opening. Enemies have a pool of defensive actions, like blocking, parrying, dodging, or taking damage. Each action has some percentage to be in effect (this can be adjusted by mods somewhat). The action to take damage is very low percentage, so that's why you will almost never hit someone by simply swinging at them. That makes sense, since obviously in RL, your enemies can block and parry and dodge too, and why wouldn't they.

So the openings you look for are basically combos. As you play the game, you learn more and more combos (unique to each weapon style). They consists of different sequences of directional attacks. So the idea is, as you fight the enemy, you strike them with whatever directional attack you happen to pick. But each one potentially leads to a different combo. If the enemy parries you, the combo is dead, so you look for a new one, but if they simply block, you can continue with the next directional attack in the combo. This takes some muscle memory and practice. If you string a few such attacks together without the enemy parrying or dodging, you get to complete the combo with a nice hit.

By default, enemies block a lot more than parry, and this makes combos somewhat easy to land after a while. So that's why I suggest changing the percentages in the mods. Up the parrying and lower the blocking relatively. So now combos are actually rare and challenging to land. Meanwhile, as the enemies parry you, they often counter attack with a swift strike, so this adds more defensive challenging on your part as well. The mods also remove the Masterstrike crap.

So now, following this approach, you have something that very closely simulates medieval combat, a great movie-like flow of attacks, parries, counter-strikes, and fancy combos.

BruceVC

Magister
Im 8 hours in and so far Im loving the overall Medieval experience the game provides, some highlights

• its a beautiful game. I am running it on maximum graphic settings
  • I know nothing about this historical time period so I am enjoying the lore around Bohemia
  • I like the different survival mechanics like nourishment and rest. Its realistic
  • I haven't really touched on serious combat but I finally worked out how lockpicking works which was very rewarding when I got the ring the miller asked for from the executioner
  • I like the open world design, I enjoy exploring and interacting with people
Yosharian thanks for the mod list, everything seems relevant and appropriate from what I am seeing

I will do another update once I am further in the game but Im very impressed :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom