Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

dsndo

Educated
How's the thief gameplay in this? The sword-fighting combat looks like absolute cancer but if a stealth approach is viable I will give this a shot.

Vatnik Wumao
Thievery is very weak in the early game. Your poor lock pick stats mean that you won't be able to pick most chests. You can boost your stealth stat by creeping around in the nude though and mass poisoning bandit camps at night.

The breakthrough point is when you learn stealth kill skill. That's when it becomes overpowered.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Thievery becoming broken is one of the reasons whenever i decide to replay the game i'll definitely use that mod that halves experience gain.

VerSacrum

Educated
How's the thief gameplay in this? The sword-fighting combat looks like absolute cancer but if a stealth approach is viable I will give this a shot.
Stealth archer build is pretty powerful, especially if you pick the perk that gives you a concealment bonus in the wilds. You can grind bow skill (if you need to) by repeating the "chumps" minigame in Ledetchko.
There's also a variety of "Robin Hood" style hats available.

Krivol

Magister
It's great, even broken. You can buy the best armour from a smith and then steal all his gold and stuff like that. You can sneaky kill a lot of enemies. Still - you have to know how to fight as there are some unavoidable battles; but if you are not playing hardcore, as soon as you learn riposte every duel is a breeze (fighting more enemies can still be hard, but doable).

Vatnik Wumao
Training with Bertrand is even more broken because if you've already decided what weapon style you want to use, you can max out that stat using his training sessions in chapter one.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Training with Bertrand is even more broken because if you've already decided what weapon style you want to use, you can max out that stat using his training sessions in chapter one.

They really should have put a cap on how high Bernard can train you through practice.

Say he can only actually train you to level 5 through practice and everything else has to come from real-world experience, or the more advanced lessons with NPCs.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If i remember, there is a cap to how much you can train pick pocketing with the Miller, so it would make sense.

VerSacrum

Educated

They really should have put a cap on how high Bernard can train you through practice.

Say he can only actually train you to level 5 through practice and everything else has to come from real-world experience, or the more advanced lessons with NPCs.
I assume most never went back to Bernard after the two mandatory lessons anyway, there's not really a need to. There's only one situation that can get dangerous to low-level Henry and that's at the mill where he gets surrounded by Morcock and his goons and the player decides to direct the dialogue towards confrontation.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I assume most never went back to Bernard after the two mandatory lessons anyway, there's not really a need to. There's only one situation that can get dangerous to low-level Henry and that's at the mill where he gets surrounded by Morcock and his goons and the player decides to direct the dialogue towards confrontation.

I dunno, I think it's pretty in-character for someone like Henry to take their practice seriously and make the most of having a willing tutor.

I just think that the amount of experience you'd realistically be able to get from sparring is probably going to cap off pretty fast compared to actually experiencing real combat.

Vatnik Wumao
Henry was keen enough on learning how to fight that he finagled lessons from that wandering bandit before his hometown burned down. Henry grinding out lessons with Bertrand would be totally in character.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You can opt not to train with Bernard too much so it's not much of an issue but i think it's more of question of craft. Personally it bothers me when games have flaws like this, even if they are easy to deal with. I'm of the type i'd install a mod that caps how much you can train with Bernard even though i wouldn't need it, just to have the feel the game is a little more well put toghether.

thesecret1

Arcane
I agree, but it's not that large of an issue even if the player were to grind it, since melee gets pretty much entirely supplanted by archery anyway. Why spend 5 min spamming riposte when you can just headshot a dude for an instant kill?

Wesp5

Arcane
I agree, but it's not that large of an issue even if the player were to grind it, since melee gets pretty much entirely supplanted by archery anyway. Why spend 5 min spamming riposte when you can just headshot a dude for an instant kill?

That's the way I played. Actually I could never get the hang of the sword fighting, even in the training, so I used a bow as I am a shooter guy anyway ;)! And I got really annoyed when I shot the first boss with a bow and the follow-up in-engine cutscene showed me defeating him with a sword. I stopped right there...

Beowulf

Arcane
Quite the opposite for me. It was the only recent (single player) game with decent melee gameplay, so why would I abandon it and go the tired sniper archer route.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, another place that can make you quite overpowered is the tournament. That was introduced with a DLC i believe so it wasn't accounted for in how they balanced the game originally.

Paul_cz

Arcane
403903902_10231558982746695_3282789693792107903_n.jpg

I really don't get the people who don't get KCD melee combat. Is it the decades of being exposed to shit melee combat (ala Morrowind click-click-click, or Skyrim click-click-click, or Dark Souls click-roll-click)?

It's a very elegant system that's arguably the closest to real life swordfighting. You alternate directional attacks and blocking, and when you do one directional attack, the enemy will almost always block it themselves (that's very logical, only in video games will enemies let you hit them all the time), but that creates opening to combos. So by memorizing the various combos for your weapon, you select the next step for the appropriate combo depending on the situation and eventually use the combo to land damage. While also defending yourself. Excellent system.

The only knocks on the vanilla system are masterstrike (which ruins the flow), and some variables need to be adjusted slightly for optimal flow. I linked exact instructions on how to do both in Codex review.

thesecret1

Arcane
I disliked the way controls were done for melee for kb+m. Combos weren't difficult to time, but rather to actually input, IIRC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom