Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Henry was pretty boring as a protagonist, but he served a function of presenting the medieval world through the eyes of a real person who lived there. With KCD, Warhorse really seemed to want to make the game not just about the combat and epic shit, but about regular everyday medieval life.

Harthwain

Magister
They seemed to be setting up a direct sequel with Henry at the end of the game - but I think this might hamstring the series long term. The reason...
...is Henry is dull af shit character and this is definitely the first time I'm saying this :dance:
Yeah. It reminds me a lot of the old adventure games, where the player-controlled character was neutral on purpose in order to not make him insufferable when the player was forced to listen to him for the entire game.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Henry was pretty boring as a protagonist, but he served a function of presenting the medieval world through the eyes of a real person who lived there. With KCD, Warhorse really seemed to want to make the game not just about the combat and epic shit, but about regular everyday medieval life.
And that's what makes him so endearing.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And that's what makes him so endearing.
Yup. It's nice to play some random dude rather than SON OF DOG, THE HERO OF KVETCH, THE CHOSEN TARD, THE CURSED PHAG, THE DRAGON BEHEADER, THE WITCHER BITCHER.

Any RPG that makes you some insigificant twat gets instant bonus points from me for less cringe.

Quillon

Arcane
Yup. It's nice to play some random dude rather than SON OF DOG, THE HERO OF KVETCH, THE CHOSEN TARD, THE CURSED PHAG, THE DRAGON BEHEADER, THE WITCHER BITCHER.
since everyone's repeating themselves:

Henry is pretty much TEH CHOSEN ONE who's infiltrating armies, monasteries, leading people in battle, curing plagues, solving issues no one else can solve, doing suicide missions etc but people can't see past his dull as fuckness to realize it. Wow, an RPG protag that's so boring which is never done before! SO COOL!

At least if he were a knight/someone important from the get go most of the things he does in the game could have been believable tho that's not the biggest issue; his character being boring, bland, dull etc is.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
since everyone's repeating themselves:

Henry is pretty much TEH CHOSEN ONE who's infiltrating armies, monasteries, leading people in battle, curing plagues, solving issues no one else can solve, doing suicide missions etc but people can't see past his dull as fuckness to realize it. Wow, an RPG protag that's so boring which is never done before! SO COOL!

At least if he were a knight/someone important from the get go most of the things he does in the game could have been believable tho that's not the biggest issue; his character being boring, bland, dull etc is.
Well, it is true, but it's still better than being said to be the chosen one.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Henry is pretty much TEH CHOSEN ONE who's infiltrating armies, monasteries, leading people in battle, curing plagues, solving issues no one else can solve, doing suicide missions etc
Yes, it's an RPG and Henry is the player character.

Would you prefer playing a poorfag farmer, doing nothing but hoeing your potato patch 12 hours a day from the start of the game to the end? Maybe Farming Simulator would be more up your alley?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The real meat and potatoes of any potential sequel is going to be how the world deals with the impending turmoil. Seeing that from a similarly wide range of perspectives is going to be a much greater strength.
Oh, I agree.
Peasant, prostitute, knight, stable boy, etc...
Getting some sweet love in Prague...
So, yeah, maybe Henry will be a major character, but not the protagonist.

Quillon

Arcane
Off the top of my head I can't think of many RPGs with protags proclaimed to be the chosen one. Starting as a nobody seems to be the norm with an innate/or gained early on trait/gimmick to stand out from the rest, in Henry's case it is being a secret bastard of a lord.

Yes, it's an RPG and Henry is the player character.

Would you prefer playing a poorfag farmer, doing nothing but hoeing your potato patch 12 hours a day from the start of the game to the end?

Yeah people/you are praising Henry for having the boring character of a poorfag farmer while he's doing activities unlike a poorfag farmer

I prefer, as I said many times before, him having a character fitting his exploits

Konjad

Patron
Off the top of my head I can't think of many RPGs with protags proclaimed to be the chosen one. Starting as a nobody seems to be the norm with an innate/or gained early on trait/gimmick to stand out from the rest, in Henry's case it is being a secret bastard of a lord.
What about

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age 2
Dragon Age 3: Inquisition
Gothic 2 (but not the first one)
Gothic 3
Mass Effect
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (double-chosen one!)
Pillars of Eternity
Planescape Torment (you're special, so I'd say it counts)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
The Witcher 3
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Although you might be right, it's just annoying to me and I thought there were more.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Henry is an accomplished knight at the end of the game
This has never stopped anyone ever.

"Just as Henry leaves to get that retarded fucking sword, he gets bonked over the head by some random bandit and spends the next year or two recovering. This conveniently gives him the physique of a malnourished leper (all stats set to 1, let's go!), makes him forget he knows how to read, and puts him in the time period we need him in."
this is a wonderful idea and works perfectly in gothics, no need for games to be too realistic
also henry is better with czech vo :oops:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I prefer, as I said many times before, him having a character fitting his exploits
His character fits his background and is very believable.

Vavra's solution of having your cake and eat it too is actually p. smart. You start as a lazy bum nobody instead of the SON OF DRAGHUN!1!, which is actually interesting and refreshing, like Konjad and many others pointed out already, but you also get to do interesting things because you're actually not a poorfag peasant but a secret aristocrat.

I guess you'd prefer Henry starting as Capon's silver-spooned buddy or some such but that wouldn't be as fresh and unique. I liked running errands for my pops and throwing shit at houses.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

His character fits his background and is very believable.

Vavra's solution of having your cake and eat it too is actually p. smart. You start as a lazy bum nobody instead of the SON OF DRAGHUN!1!, which is actually interesting and refreshing, like Konjad and many others pointed out already, but you also get to do interesting things because you're actually not a poorfag peasant but a secret aristocrat.

I guess you'd prefer Henry starting as Capon's silver-spooned buddy or some such but that wouldn't be as fresh and unique. I liked running errands for my pops and throwing shit at houses.
let's face it - this quest wouldn't be this based were you not throwing shit at the kraut's house

SlamDunk

Arcane
The main quest is still not completed, so Warhorse has to conclude it and the story despite Tom McKay (Henry's actor) being almost 44 years of age (born December 27, 1979), which means that we'll certainly be playing as Henry.

Ryzer

Arcane
Konjad, In Witcher 3, the chosen one is Ciri, not Geralt. Also, Geralt was never a chosen one, but rather a witcher from the wolf school with no other unique power.

Harthwain

Magister
Konjad, In Witcher 3, the chosen one is Ciri, not Geralt. Also, Geralt was never a chosen one, but rather a witcher from the wolf school with no other unique power.
He is still a special character. Witchers are basically superhuman swordmasters, who can also use some light magic.

Quillon

Arcane
What about

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age 2
Dragon Age 3: Inquisition
Gothic 2 (but not the first one)
Gothic 3
Mass Effect
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (double-chosen one!)
Pillars of Eternity
Planescape Torment (you're special, so I'd say it counts)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
The Witcher 3
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Although you might be right, it's just annoying to me and I thought there were more.

Guess I looked at it more technically. Like being a grey warden not necessarily is being a chosen one, you are just one of (not so-)many. Many such cases.

Unlike most other games, most of the quests in KDC are for someone more important than a village yokel and very few are for it. Hence it is revealed if Henry wasn't the bastard son of Kobyla he wouldn't even had been given the chance for most of the things he gets to do. Henry being a lazy bum dull as fuck village yokel nobody is "unique and fresh" only in face value, otherwise its working against the game.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Geralt was subjected to an extra bout of mutagens because he's reacted well to the usual dose
the end result is him going albino

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom