Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

The fuck does upscaling have to do with lowering CPU load when NPCs are around?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Frame generation does not decrease CPU load, but it does effectively sidestep it. So yes it can increase (even double) framerate even in CPU limited scenarios.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that thing do exactly the same thing as DLSS?

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is growing on me but there are still many parts befuddling me. For example it is obvious there has been a lot of work and care in worldbuilding and research on historical elements, but seems that nobody at Warhorse ever took a fencing lesson or drew a bow. About archery in particular there is a wealth of information on how fast and dangerous an archer used to be but here it feels you're shooting sticks out of boredom. Just missing a yawning sound during the excruciating seconds it takes Henry to draw his bow (I'm not even going to start on how they all fire their arrows from the wrong side with the result that the rearm animation has Henry's hand phasing through the bow string).

There's also the AI. On one hand there NPCs have nicely done routines and the game has a living quelity that is fresh and pleasant, on the other enemies AI is awful and they will randomly engage or break fights, teleport around, stand still like idiots or patrol among the bodies of their comrades without raising the alarm.

Still, I'll carry on. I've bought a tier 5 horse from which I resolve conflicts by shooting fuckers. Game's getting increasingly fun now that it opened up.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
One of the best things about KCD for me was the hand crafted enviorments, which made treasure hunting far more fun than i expected. SOOOOO much attention to detail. It's such a contrast to see what is essentially one large case study for the superiority of hand crafted content being marred a bit by janky "radiant" AI and random encounters.

Even so, KCD and hopefully KCD2 have the potential of becoming one of the last notable hand crafted games given the inevitable rise of AI made content in video games. Already a lot of games feel procedurally generated even when they are not. KCD really stands out by how personal everything feels. Everything you see had an obvious human hand behind it.

VerSacrum

Educated
One of the best things about KCD for me was the hand crafted enviorments, which made treasure hunting far more fun than i expected. SOOOOO much attention to detail. It's such a contrast to see what is essentially one large case study for the superiority of hand crafted content being marred a bit by janky "radiant" AI and random encounters.

Even so, KCD and hopefully KCD2 have the potential of becoming one of the last notable hand crafted games given the inevitable rise of AI made content in video games. Already a lot of games feel procedurally generated even when they are not. KCD really stands out by how personal everything feels. Everything you see had an obvious human hand behind it.
They took the same development approach to KCD2 as in the first with translating a really existing landscape into a virtual environment which is why it took so damn long, so everything points to it having once again top notch exploration of a place that feels real and authentic. According to the trailer they also took the commitment to historical accuracy even further this time - e.g. first KC:D still had some weird LARP/buhurt equipment and later timber framing on houses that made it in there somehow. Really can't wait.

I just hope in KCD2 NPCs no longer lock me inside their houses or rooms and then get butthurt that I don't leave. That would also be a nice bit of realism.

ArchAngel

Arcane

What treasure hunting?!
I got best gear by killing some random bandits in heavy armor. I explored a lot of the map and found a lot of the "points of interest" with zero interesting things to find. I even decided to dig out some graves to find anything of interest and still zero.
I find it hilarious that people would praise this shit when Baldur's Gate 1 had 100x better exploration than this shit.
Running into that "lady" at the coast that gives you a kiss of death or a talking chicken or summoning exploding skeletons from graves or stealing a cloak of charming from a guy at inn was more interesting than any shit in KCD.
Standards have fallen so low, any shit is praised.

Gerrard

Arcane
I think by "treasure hunting" he means breaking into a shop and stealing all the valuable shit from the shop inventory chest.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There are also those treasure maps.
Which give you nothing of interest. KCD has a few cool quests, vistas while riding on a horse, combat that is more clunky than fun but there is nothing cool to find just going off and exploring.
BG1 was full of fun things to find (and kill).
I think by "treasure hunting" he means breaking into a shop and stealing all the valuable shit from the shop inventory chest.
Nothing of interest in there as well.
I had best armor from bandits and more money than I could spend and did almost zero stealing.

Fargus

Arcane
Funniest part of KCD was me randomly finding a chest full of treasure armor and weapons at the beggining of the game by just going off road a bit during one of the quests. And it wasn't even locked. I hope they hide it better this time. Though to be fair it was one of the earlier post release versions of the game when it was pretty buggy.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Which give you nothing of interest.

The discovery is the interesting part. You can cheese the game to get all the best loot early, or you can grind until you have more money than you can use, but that has nothing to do with how discovery was designed.

The argument was also about how every little location in this game was handcrafted, which makes everything you see, and every little treasure spot feel like someone had a direct hand in creating it (because they did), instread of just feeling like a pre-fab you have already seen ten times over (similar to Far Cry or other Ubishit slop).

I remember one time i was riding across the woods and i spotted a little garland hanging from a tree. I followed the trail and ended up in an hidden bandit or pocher camp (can't remember which right now). The game didn't made it a big deal, didn't flash the "clue" in front of your eyes, it was just a little detail that was there because the artist liked it and put it in the game. Another time, i was riding towards a town and in the grass i spotted what looked like a camping or picnic scene, and there i discovered an amor potion. Likely, a scene of a romantic encounter. The game is filled with little things like that. Even when a treasure map just leds you to an alcove in a tree, or a tiny cave, the alcove or the cave are unlike any of the others you may have seen elsewhere. The design of the map of this game is a frikking masterpiece, especially when compared to Bethesturd games or the aformentioned Ubifart retardation.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
Digging for treasure Is unacceptable, It Is considered a crime. You can play how do you want so you can do crimes and get rich earlier but remember that Henry Is like Santa and everyone Is happy when come to visit them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Digging in graves is a crime the rest is fair game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom