Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
what makes KCD map so lively is that they just took that part of Czechia near Rataje and replaced all drug addict dens with bandit dens
No drug dens in that redneck shithole. More like illegal dumps.

kangaxx

Arbiter
The dressing down Hanush gives Capon and Henry is one for the ages. "Hope I didn't interrupt anything important? Boozing and whoring perhaps? Beating up my subjects?"

Can't remember the last time I laughed so much at a character in a game.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I can't wait to play it in czech where Hanush is voiced by Dan Vávra. Friend of mine finished it yesterday and was raving about it at work. Kozomrdi!

Quillon

Arcane

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Full Cinematic Story​

(on their official channel)

didn't vavra said 3 hours of cutscenes? this is 5

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Since talking about combat is still fashionable...

When do I get good at it?
Feel like i played through a decent portion of the game (stopped with the main story, den of snakes mission, because apparently it's the best time to go do side quests and go explore even though the story makes it seem urgent) and tbh, I still don't get the combat system.
Whenever i fight multiple enemies it's just a mess and i always end up cheesing these fights by relying on doggo or finding some piece of terrain to funnel them so can fight them 1 on 1.

But tbh it's not like i get the system when i'm fighting 1v1 either. Either i have no trouble with enemies or they keep pulling off bs moves like when they spin me around and i lose all my stamina (and take hp damage if didnt have lots of stamina already), thus forcing me to resort to cheese.
Stuff like combos or feints also tend to punish me more often then not, so have learned not to do them but instead rely on backpeddling and poking (which also is the best approach when fighting multiple opponents).

So yeah playing the game wrong but dunno how to change that.

thesecret1

Arcane
Since talking about combat is still fashionable...

When do I get good at it?
Feel like i played through a decent portion of the game (stopped with the main story, den of snakes mission, because apparently it's the best time to go do side quests and go explore even though the story makes it seem urgent) and tbh, I still don't get the combat system.
Whenever i fight multiple enemies it's just a mess and i always end up cheesing these fights by relying on doggo or finding some piece of terrain to funnel them so can fight them 1 on 1.

But tbh it's not like i get the system when i'm fighting 1v1 either. Either i have no trouble with enemies or they keep pulling off bs moves like when they spin me around and i lose all my stamina (and take hp damage if didnt have lots of stamina already), thus forcing me to resort to cheese.
Stuff like combos or feints also tend to punish me more often then not, so have learned not to do them but instead rely on backpeddling and poking (which also is the best approach when fighting multiple opponents).

So yeah playing the game wrong but dunno how to change that.
Oh boy, where to start... First off, you aren't doing anything wrong. KC:D melee combat system has a massive design flaw in the form of master strikes. You may or may not have learned them yet from Bernard, but the AI knows them and uses them. The higher the level of the AI enemy, the more likely it is to spam that shit. What a masterstrike is is a counter attack that CANNOT be blocked or prevented. Once you learn it from Bernard, you'll see it's literally an "I win" button. Late game combat is often a game of chicken, where the first one to attack loses, as the opponent just masterstrikes him. It is also for this reason that none but the simplests of combat combos can realistically be utilized, as the enemy is bound to break said combo with a masterstrike. Whenever the enemy pulls off a "bs move" where he spins you around, etc., you got masterstriked. This utterly destroy's and trivializes the game's combat, turning it into a boring series of easy QTE events. The only fix is to get a mod that removes master strikes from the game.

As for fighting multiple enemies, you're bound to get fucked by camera behavior if you get in melee range (and I suspect that this is precisely why the designers included the "I win" button in the form of masterstrikes, as a patchwork solution to getting raped in melee whenever fighting multiple opponents). Honestly, the best way to handle it is to kill them by bow from afar until only one is left, or cheese with horse combat, doggo, etc.

So yeah, you aren't really doing anything wrong. But seriously, mod out masterstrikes or you will be very, very sad as the game's combat becomes less and less fun.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Oooooooh so that's what you lot mean by master strikes.

Holy fuck, no wonder it's such a frequent complaint. Ok yeah definitely going to seek out a mod for this, then maybe could actually not play like a total wuss when facing something meaner then a peasant armed with a stick.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Oooooooh so that's what you lot mean by master strikes.

Holy fuck, no wonder it's such a frequent complaint. Ok yeah definitely going to seek out a mod for this, then maybe could actually not play like a total wuss when facing something meaner then a peasant armed with a stick.
There's other cheese one can use, such as clinch spamming (especially if you get a perk for it, at which point it's super broken), but one doesn't have to use it. Masterstrikes, on the other hand, cannot be avoided because the AI uses them, and later in the game, it will masterstrike literally every second swing you make – it's not even a "rare" move but rather something the AI spams without any shame. The only way to beat it in melee is then either cheese, or masterstriking it yourself. That's why it's so unpopular, and why you're bound to see this discussion come up in any discussion about KC:D combat.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Dunno how to cinch either, seems i completely missed whatever tutorials explain these things.

And here i thought it was some warfare skill i hadn't unlocked or maybe i didn't understand the intricacies of the combat system and had to keep proper spacing/watch where i position my sword or shield or something like that... Lol no was qtes all along and the more i tried to play like the game told me to play the more i get punished for it until i resort to playing like a cheeser and feeling guilty for it.

Anyways i regret sleeping on this game for so long, even if i suck at the combat, love everything else about the game so far.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Full Cinematic Story​

(on their official channel)

didn't vavra said 3 hours of cutscenes? this is 5

Any source for those who are too young to watch such videos?

What do you mean? Just click the link, and it will take you to YouTube?

It asks me for ID

Oh... that never happened to me. It just gives me a warning, and a choice to accept or decline.

Could be a thing based on territory, or that I am logged in.

Your luckiest bet is that someone dowloads the video, then uploads it without any restriction.

jackofshadows

Magister
Anyways i regret sleeping on this game for so long, even if i suck at the combat, love everything else about the game so far.
As far as my experience with the combat of this game go, I'd say you can:
  • learn and abuse masterstrikes as was mentioned above - if you like "reactive" gameplay, that is
  • master the bow and fucking own everyone with it - if you've got some autistic tendencies
  • learn to boil a nightvision potion and kill people at nights in huge quantities - if you like vampires or smth
  • do as I did the most since some point: armor up, take a good mace and just spam it, bash the shit out of their skulls
  • there's also a halberd and I've heared it's rather op but not sure about that one, it's just very dangerous in the enemy hands.

Zariusz

Arbiter
There is also a very cheap trick that involves going far enough from the enemy so he start doing running attack and when in range stabbing him in the face, from my experience it works always and stops the charge. Also after winning clinching of blades if you time it right your stab will almost always hit so like earlier i recommend again directing your blade towards enemy's face. Those moves might sound quite noobish but you can always rely on them, especially when engaging groups of foes.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Update to whoever cares.

So finally learned masterstrike as well as figuring out how to win clinches. JFC the decline was real.
Should have listened to the advice of removing it completely but i wanted to test it for myself so went for the mod that removed it from enemies only, big mistake.

Was able to clear out every bandit in nest of vipers easily (with a bit of luck to be fair, the enemies pushed me inside a tent behind some obstacles and it funelled them), and then found myself face to face with the man who murdered my parents... Only to 3 shot him. Wow, that felt very unsatisfying.

Dejected, i attended the rattay tournament that conveniently started right after i ended that mission.
Now this tournament has been kicking my arse all game, with the 2nd round dude in particular being my nemesis, every time I did a little better against him but he always ends up whooping me.

Not this time, 2-0 easy wins, and I felt no satisfaction from finally beating my nemesis.

Then faced the champion and I kid you not, knocked him out in 1 move both rounds. Wow, epic, somehow the champion of the tournament was less challenging then the peasants armed with sticks that would ambush me.

So yeah fuck master strike. Game might not be balanced without it but removing it definitely makes things more fun.

kangaxx

Arbiter
If I had to fight 3 ppl with swords in real life I'd try and funnel them through a chokepoint as well. I don't think that's cheese. The alternative is becoming a pincushion.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Question: what's the best way to flog looted armour etc? I think I'm missing a trick, because traders take ages in my game to replenish their coin... it means I'm constantly sitting on a load of loot. Am trying to raise money for the village DLC and it's taking bloody ages.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Question: what's the best way to flog looted armour etc? I think I'm missing a trick, because traders take ages in my game to replenish their coin... it means I'm constantly sitting on a load of loot. Am trying to raise money for the village DLC and it's taking bloody ages.
Sell to the armour merchant in the big city (forgot name), he had plenty of money.

thesecret1

Arcane
Trader wealth is dynamic - they "sell" all the shit you sell to them at a market rate, making profit, and thus the more business you do with them, the more cash they'll end up having. The merchant I usually did business with had over 20k on him by the time I finished the game. Of course, if you rob them, you steal all this excess wealth and stuff, and they'll have little on them afterwards

kangaxx

Arbiter
Is this mechanic bugged? The traders I deal with never seem to replenish their coin to those kinds of levels (even in Sassau and Rattay). If I'm lucky they get back to 2 or 3k after a few days.

I never rob the traders btw. Brushes with the law seem bugged in my game so I strictly don't do anything illegal.

Vulpes

Scholar
I usually sell my excess (and stolen) gear to miller Peshek when the other traders in Rattay are broke. I think his wealth is influenced by how many quests you do for him, so you'll probably have to do some thievery first to get the most out of him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom