Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - Henry's coming to see us on February 11th

ShiningSoldier

Educated
Why so many huge, boring and empty forests?
Because that's how forests usually are

Why the battle system sucks so much with these master strikes?
Shit design

Why houses are so empty and similar to each other?
Because that's how they usually were back then
Yes, I understand it's "realism", but is it a good thing, lol. It's like adding a requirement for your character to take a big dump in the game once a day. Yes, it's realistic, but adds nothing to gameplay.

Beowulf

Arcane
Different strokes and all that. One of the first things I noticed in Skyrim was that I was tripping over content every step of the way. Go behind that stone - a new generic dungeon appears. Check that tree 15 meters away - a wild bandit camp appears, and so on.
I prefer if the game doesn't bombard me with constant things to do all the time. If the game is any good, it will keep me engaged.
People criticizing Kingdom Come because it doesn't provide constant shallow stimuli should get a different kind of stroke.

ShiningSoldier

Educated
Different strokes and all that. One of the first things I noticed in Skyrim was that I was tripping over content every step of the way. Go behind that stone - a new generic dungeon appears. Check that tree 15 meters away - a wild bandit camp appears, and so on.
I prefer if the game doesn't bombard me with constant things to do all the time. If the game is any good, it will keep me engaged.
People criticizing Kingdom Come because it doesn't provide constant shallow stimuli should get a different kind of stroke.
Yeah, but lack of content doesn't make KCD less shallow. I mean, what is the interest of walking through the forest in the game, when the only thing you can meet is a stupid hare or even more stupid bandit?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Polearms are the best content in RPGs:

4ZUe48L.png

thesecret1

Arcane
Why so many huge, boring and empty forests?
Because that's how forests usually are

Why the battle system sucks so much with these master strikes?
Shit design

Why houses are so empty and similar to each other?
Because that's how they usually were back then
Yes, I understand it's "realism", but is it a good thing, lol. It's like adding a requirement for your character to take a big dump in the game once a day. Yes, it's realistic, but adds nothing to gameplay.
The game focused on realism from the get go, the goal being to create a believable world. That's why everything is done to scale - there are no fake "cities" of 10 houses like you find in Oblivion. This of course necessiates many things to be done for the sake of that alone - NPCs without any quests or content for the player that go about their routine. Despite that, there's easily over a hundred hours of content in the game, just not the kind you stumble over at each step.

In other words, it's a different sort of design approach to Bethesda. If you try playing it like a Bethesda game, where you criss-cross the forest expecting to see something interesting every 50 steps, you're gonna have a bad time.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
KCD has fuckton of content, that's one thing I don't get when someone says it doesn't. Main quest is easily more than 30 hours long and then you have side quests in almost every settlement. Then if that's not enough you also have DLCs (of various quality, I admit), and then if that's still not enough there are turneys, activities... I'm not autistic enough but I can understand how some people spent 150h+ in a single playthrough, and if you are not autistic but still a completionist it will easily be 70-100h

kangaxx

Arbiter
One of the things that makes this game so fucking good... is that the swords aren't magic. The armour isn't magic. If you get attacked by a Cuman in the woods early on and manage to fight him off (difficult early on) you suddenly get equipment better than most other people in the world. And that's exactly how it would be in real life.

I dunno there's something about KCD, that despite the belly laugh inducing glitches, it's still borderline the most immersive game I've ever played... that's difficult to achieve and the devs deserve a lot of credit. People who say it's boring need to remember to take their proscribed speed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game zeroes in on the immersion as much as it can get away with. I think it does a better job in this than RDR2 where the realism was often obnoxious.

In KCD if you don't play on Hard with all maluses on you're playing a weak, inferior version of the game. You either lean fully into the larp or you better go play something else.

Ryzer

Arcane
One of the things that makes this game so fucking good... is that the swords aren't magic. The armour isn't magic. If you get attacked by a Cuman in the woods early on and manage to fight him off (difficult early on) you suddenly get equipment better than most other people in the world. And that's exactly how it would be in real life.

I dunno there's something about KCD, that despite the belly laugh inducing glitches, it's still borderline the most immersive game I've ever played... that's difficult to achieve and the devs deserve a lot of credit. People who say it's boring need to remember to take their proscribed speed.
KCD is so immersive that whenever my horse jumps on a bush, he instantly goes flying into the air.

DKunit

Literate
How about we wait to see how the character is written before we start passing her off as a Girlboss. Dan Vavra is still the lead writer after all.

KeAShizuku

Educated
My country had wiped away the last of it's old forests by the 17th century to the point that they had to import wood from the Baltic's so I'm always confused when I see trees.

I really fucking hate nature by the way Google maps doesn't even work up there. Luckily this is a videogame so you can always look up a guide instead of wondering around for hours trying to find some fucking bandits.

Harthwain

Magister
How about we wait to see how the character is written before we start passing her off as a Girlboss. Dan Vavra is still the lead writer after all.
Be that as it may, a woman going into battle is usually a sign of desperation. Hell, she isn't even dressed for combat in that art.

DKunit

Literate
Be that as it may, a woman going into battle is usually a sign of desperation. Hell, she isn't even dressed for combat in that art.
I doubt that this art is meant to portray a specific scene. It looks like more of a "hero lineup" meant to show off key players in the narrative. I trust that Warhorse are not dumb enough to have an unarmored female character with an unloaded crossbow charging into battle on the front lines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom