Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - Henry's coming to see us on February 11th

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
People who make video games are not to be trusted, they are all presumed to be sneaky scheming corpo fuckers until proven innocent and they then will be presumed guilty once again when their next game rolls around.

kangaxx

Arbiter
How about we wait to see how the character is written before we start passing her off as a Girlboss. Dan Vavra is still the lead writer after all.
Be that as it may, a woman going into battle is usually a sign of desperation. Hell, she isn't even dressed for combat in that art.
Maybe she's a bath house wench trying to rob Henry and Capon.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How about we wait to see how the character is written before we start passing her off as a Girlboss. Dan Vavra is still the lead writer after all.
This. As long as Vavra is calling the shots in Warhorse we aren't gonna see anything outright woke.

Btw it seems in the din and clamor of anti-wokism some people have forgotten that before girlbosses and stronk wahmen there had always been actual strong women.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Btw it seems in the din and clamor of anti-wokism some people have forgotten that before girlbosses and stronk wahmen there had always been actual strong women.

Totally agree. I think my biggest frustration is that strong women are always made warriors in a lot of modern media, it's very dismissive of the achievements of actual strong women. Not that Vavra would do that of course.

Good example is how Æthelflæd is treated in Cornwell's saxon story books vs the TV adaptation. In the former, much like her historical figure, she's a shrewd politician, administrator and capable war leader (who never fights herself but is a very capable commander and happily trusts her warlords). In the latter they turn her into a warrior who is killing danes left, right and centre and rarely seems to show any of the brilliance of the real person.

It should actually be insulting to many feminist types that woke writers turn them into men in order to portray them as strong.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Good example is how Æthelflæd is treated in Cornwell's saxon story books vs the TV adaptation.
One of the best renditions of strong female chars in modern fantasy is in Joe Abercrombie's Age of Madness. Highly recommended. There a couple of important female chars who are also shrewd diplomats, business owners, even war planners but it's clearly shown that in intense, physical situations (battles, demanding long journeys, heated exchanges with explosive alpha males etc.) they quickly lose composure and fall apart. Furhtermore there aren't any female soldiers, mercenaries, gladiators or any such nonsense. All of that is perfectly mirroring actual historical reality.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
New Artwork
fqaplrzub2jd1.png
Stronk woman.
Not a good sign.
One woman historically uses a crossbow to kill a king and now suddenly every woman in a medieval setting has them.
ffs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One woman historically uses a crossbow to kill a king and now suddenly every woman in a medieval setting has them.
ffs.
At least she uses a crossbow and not a bow, which would be p. absurd due to very high upper body strength required for actual war bows. Xbows with a lever could've been used by any reasonably healthy person.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Cranked xbows could've been used by any reasonably healthy person.
Certainly. Its just a bit out there to have her using it in a military combat situation. I could understand possibly hunting with it, maybe self defense... but her being in a band of nobles and "helping out" is a very hard thing to take as historical fact. Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but she most definitely shouldn't be using a cross bow on a Christian, pretty sure they burn you for that shit, granted that was 200 years prior.

Harthwain

Magister
Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but she most definitely shouldn't be using a cross bow on a Christian, pretty sure they burn you for that shit, granted that was 200 years prior.
1) Was the Pope's ban actively practiced in Europe though?
2) Pretty sure the Hussites didn't care about what the Pope had to say on the matter.

Nas92

Augur
Guise, is it over? Has Kingdomu Comu 2 now been branded as woke due to a single stronk wamman being depicted in an artwork?
Good, maybe people will start to take the ourguy blinders off when it comes to KCD. Ffs, peole have been sucking this game off for historical accuracy when the main character looks agressively britbong and has a name like Henry when everyone else has proper Czech names.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Guise, is it over? Has Kingdomu Comu 2 now been branded as woke due to a single stronk wamman being depicted in an artwork?
Good, maybe people will start to take the ourguy blinders off when it comes to KCD. Ffs, peole have been sucking this game off for historical accuracy when the main character looks agressively britbong and has a name like Henry when everyone else has proper Czech names.
The game also needs to sell outside of czech borders retard.

thesecret1

Arcane
Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but she most definitely shouldn't be using a cross bow on a Christian, pretty sure they burn you for that shit, granted that was 200 years prior.
2) Pretty sure the Hussites didn't care about what the Pope had to say on the matter.
Hussites are still quite a few years away at the time the story is set in. Unless they plan a huge timeskip, we won't get to see the Hussite Wars in this game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hussites are still quite a few years away at the time the story is set in. Unless they plan a huge timeskip, we won't get to see the Hussite Wars in this game.
Hus claimed the higher clergy are despicable, gluttonous fornicating hogs and the Pope is a sinful, wicked ulcer on the face of Mother Church.

So no, him and his followers didn't give any significant fuck about what the Pope thinks or says.

Nas92

Augur
I know you're being tongue in cheek, but I do think this is the justification for this. But if we go by that logic then why not have anime girls in bikini armor? Why not have stronk womyn?

thesecret1

Arcane
Hus claimed the higher clergy are despicable, gluttonous fornicating hogs and the Pope is a sinful, wicked ulcer on the face of Mother Church.

So no, him and his followers didn't give any significant fuck about what the Pope thinks or says.
They were all members of the catholic Church, the hussite movement only starting after Hus's death. What they thought of the pope mattered little, they were still bound by the Church's laws, much like a soldier is obligated by the decisions of his superiors, even if he thinks them to be a bunch of despicable cunts. Besides, there were plenty who didn't sympathise with Hus, and would've been on the Pope's side. Hell, Radzig, for example, had been brutally murdered by Hussites, for example.

Nas92

Augur
The reason we won't see the Hussite Wars ever from a Vavra game is simple cowardice. That would be a politically polarizing, a dangerous, but interesting setting. He could get shit from it from both woketards and the anti-woke fascist crowd. He's afraid of that kind of pressure so we'll have to settle for the whole father's sword storyline during completely historically insignificant events. Just sad really.

thesecret1

Arcane
I know you're being tongue in cheek, but I do think this is the justification for this. But if we go by that logic then why not have anime girls in bikini armor? Why not have stronk womyn?
I think it was due to the voice acting, actually. All the important characters in the game have English or German names (ie. Hans Capon instead of Jan Ptáček), and I think it's because if you listen to the english dub, the VAs always seem to stumble whenver there's a czech name they need to pronounce. No doubt, Vávra didn't want that "stumble" in actually significant scenes. There's also the matter of the players possibly having a harder time to remember a cast of characters they can't even properly pronounce or write.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
peole have been sucking this game off for historical accuracy when the main character looks agressively britbong and has a name like Henry when everyone else has proper Czech names
There are 10+ million Czechs and every single one of them would completely understand why an internationally-sold game can't afford to have all names properly Czech.

Slavic languages have a very specific sound and rhythm and tone (in Czech it's mainly the ř sound and the fact that some consonants function as vowels, yeah, don't ask) and if you've been born into a Germanic language like English, names like Ptáček, Úžice or Přibyslavice would twist your tongue and make your eyes roll back in your head inside the first 15 minutes.

Not sure I'm coming across here, anyway just trust me, it'd be a terrible decision, fun-wise and money-wise as well.

Harthwain

Magister
There are 10+ million Czechs and every single one of them would completely understand why an internationally-sold game can't afford to have all names properly Czech.
What would be a "proper" Czech version of the name Henry?

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I know when I play a japanese game, I never know what's going on because I can't remember the names of any of the characters or locations even after 100s of hours of hearing them. Doesn't bother me though, I still play them.

ShiningSoldier

Educated
Isn't his name Jindřich in Czecz dub?
And Индржих in Russian.
So, he's only called Henry in English version, because English-speaking people are not able to understand Slavic names.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom