Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - Henry's coming to see us on February 11th

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
KCD2 at PAX West:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Just read Dan's article in latest Level magazine, where he decided to wake up and choose death :D
He basically goes through a list of most acclaimed videogames in history (Zeldas, Soulslikes, GTAs, Uncharteds..) and lists his reasons for why they suck.

Even when I disagree with him, I laughed out loud reading it.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Just read Dan's article in latest Level magazine, where he decided to wake up and choose death :D
He basically goes through a list of most acclaimed videogames in history (Zeldas, Soulslikes, GTAs, Uncharteds..) and lists his reasons for why they suck.

based

ferratilis

Magister
Is this the new target audience for KCD2? If it is, I'm gonna be pissed. Keep Swen away from Warhorse!

EdmEk7M.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yea I've read it, it's funny when he's dumping on stupid shit like Zeldas, GTAs and Uncharted but Dark Souls? Thief? Half-Life? The nu God of War is debatable but reducing it to "repetitive arenas, button mashing, looking for blue keys to blue doors" is like saying KCD is a empty forest walking simulator. Or that Fallout 2 is about shuffling your mouse around and clicking on things.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
It's funny when people talk shit about games I don't approve of, but when you talk shit about games I like??? That's when you've gone too far and you and me are fucking FINISHED buddy... first and last warning... I better not catch any of you pieces of shit saying anything bad about HORSE CLUB ADVENTURES...

Yea I've read it, it's funny when he's dumping on stupid shit like Zeldas, GTAs and Uncharted but Dark Souls? Thief? Half-Life? The nu God of War is debatable but reducing it to "repetitive arenas, button mashing, looking for blue keys to blue doors" is like saying KCD is a empty forest walking simulator. Or that Fallout 2 is about shuffling your mouse around and clicking on things.

Clearly meant to get a bit of a reaction, the article. What was the Czech Take on Thief though of all things holy? Lemme guess: not enough cutscenes. Looking Glass died for all of your future sins, Dan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxApGeuwNQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPXRwm-qldo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTnd6sx2HTc

Paul_cz

Arcane
Dark Souls? Thief? Half-Life? The nu God of War
His point is mostly that these games are overrated.

Which, eventhough I enjoyed them, don't really disagree with.

But obviously it is all about subjective value judgement. He has his own biases and doesn't hide it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thief? Half-Life?
Oh no, he didn't...

Anyway, was anyone actually surprised in the slightest?
Vavra is a cutscene and story fag.
Wouldn't be a true gayming experience according to him if you don't sit through fucking hours worth of cutscenes and dialogue...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dark Souls? Thief? Half-Life? The nu God of War
His point is mostly that these games are overrated.

Which, eventhough I enjoyed them, don't really disagree with.

But obviously it is all about subjective value judgement. He has his own biases and doesn't hide it.

The point is retarded because those games are NOT in fact overrated. They are indeed rated correctly.

I mean all of the ones mentioned except God of War, which i have not played and just seems like mainstream slop to me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Thief? Half-Life?
Oh no, he didn't...

Wouldn't be a true gayming experience according to him if you don't sit through fucking hours worth of cutscenes and dialogue...

This is the kind of conversation that drove Vavra out of the Codex. He has a stubborn and very narrow conception of what a game ought to be and nothing anybody says has ever been able to convice him otherwise. The only thing you can do with him is take his approach at face value and judge it on its own term and leave the question about whether it is or isn't the ONLY way video games ought to be made aside. It's a waste of time he won't budge from that position. In a sense his unflinching belief in the superiority of his point of view is what makes him interesting, because whether one believes in his vision or not at least he has a vision and by God he'll go through with it or perish trying.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thief? Half-Life?
Oh no, he didn't...

This is the kind of conversation that drove Vavra out of the Codex. He has a stubborn and very narrow conception of what a game ought to be and nothing anybody says has ever been able to convice him otherwise. The only thing you can do with him is take his approach at face value and judge it on its own term and leave the question about whether it is or isn't the ONLY way video games ought to be made aside. It's a waste of time he won't budge from that position. In a sense his unflinching belief in the superiority of his point of view is what makes him interesting, because whether one believes in his vision or not at least he has a vision and by God he'll go through with it or perish trying.
Of course.
Nothing wrong with him being unyielding and relatively uncompromising.
Also I heard he is really well off, having a wife and kids AND money.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, my point is that it's not really important that he thinks games should be "cinematic" as long as his cinematic games are actually good for what they are.

I personally don't agree with him at all in this respect but as a consumer and player all i care is the quality of the game and if his singular obsession produces good games of the specific type he favors i'll take it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

In a sense his unflinching belief in the superiority of his point of view is what makes him interesting
It also makes games like Mafia 1 or KCD 1 even possible because they were so unique and novel for their time nobody believed they can succeed or even be done and Vavra had to literally drag everybody kicking and screaming through the entire process and over the finish line. As he never fails to remind us :D

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
I'm gonna be honest with you, while KCD was pretty good where it mattered, it was also often very boring and disappointed me on the lack reactivity more than a few times.

From the trailers, I didn't see the sequel doing anything different either. Seems to be playing it completely safe which is kinda disappointing.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I plan to be one of the top experts on trolling the criminal justice system in this game

Gerrard

Arcane

The guy who was praising Cyberpunk 2077? Oh no, I really care about his opinions on games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom