Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Also, this freaking guy - among the generic poor thugs who only rob people to feed their families in the first fight, there's an evil drake cleric with MASTERWORK FULL PLATE AND A MAUL +3 :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sacibengala

Prophet
Also, this freaking guy - among the generic poor thugs who only rob people to feed their families in the first fight, there's an evil drake cleric with MASTERWORK FULL PLATE AND A MAUL +3 :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Reminds me of one rich kid that studied in my public school.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Ok, I know that this might sound strange since I asked questions about game since long ago, but I was able to play it only right now and first impressions kinda weird.
I decided at first to play tutorial, even though people complained about it a lot, just to check if it is really THAT annoyingly difficult.
Now, I tried to prepare myself for ridiculous resistances (although monster sheet for Chaos Treant with it's insane resistances seen in this thread early still haunts me) and high numbers of said enemies, but I didn't expect of what happened during Necromancer encounter.
I mean, I didn't expect from a game that praised for it's "tacticool" options for combat to just automatically put my entire party in ideal position to be blinded/fried during usage of color spray/burning hands by necromancer and surrounded by undead.
Same thing annoyed me in Kingmaker (game teleported my entire party in my own sirocco for cutscene) and I know from forum posts on codex that WOTR has same problem too, but existence of such bulllshit in other games is poor excuse to repeat the same mistakes, imho.
Necromancer not even told anything important to the party ffs. Such "storytelling technique" is common sight in main module or exist only in tutorial ?

Now, while I enjoyed putting necromancers body in grease and frying it in fire, I can't help but notice that at some point my party stops rolling nat 20 and get murdered by remnants of undead in one-two attack, even after death of necromancer and his apprentice/bodyguard.
So, this made me question my sanity if I missing something or skipped mandatory feat/spell for defeating necromancer, because my party is getting slaughtered.
Can someone share some tips about this fight ? Maybe lever is the key to solution of the problem? Is this fight even winnable?

I feel like asking a stupid question, but after seeing how two of my characters died in first turn (Ronja died right after game suggested to use bard songs, lmao), I tried to replay tutorial several times in attempt to see what I exactly did wrong and I don't see anything what can help.
Is main module is more difficult?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Once more unto the breach.

I'm pretty sure this party is going to crash and burn terribly because it has 3 characters I have awful prior experience with (Pally, Cleric, Ranger), 2 that don't seem particularly amazing (Mage Knight, Death Knight) and only 1 that I know is gud (Psionicist).

Dis gon be gud :avatard:
You dun goofed, I mentioned passingly to Pierre that I was gonna try an all-fighter party, and he said he doesn't think the module would be beatable without a magic caster and a cleric at the very least. Those you've got covered, but the ranger is dead weight that'll be draining XP from the party.
DK can be quite good actually, MK is rather lame, specially nearing high-level encounters.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, there's a weird bug I've been experiencing on and off for a long time and with many different builds.
Pierre can't reproduce it, I can't reproduce it either.

During the disappearing sword quest / village.
There's 3 encounters with sentient rats, gnolls and orcs.
Sometimes, only the leader is engaged in the fight, the other are neutral and can't be targetted.
I got it in the first rat encounter this time, usually, it was the second with gnolls.
Except if I reload, it doesn't happen anymore.

Did anyone experience it as well?
If you do and have additional info, it'd be much appreciated if you could report it with details and even attach a save file to it.

There's a wolf in the woods of the werewolf fight that is supposed to be hostile but can't be attacked.

Desiderius

Patron
I feel like asking a stupid question, but after seeing how two of my characters died in first turn (Ronja died right after game suggested to use bard songs, lmao), I tried to replay tutorial several times in attempt to see what I exactly did wrong and I don't see anything what can help.
Is main module is more difficult?

It's a little overtuned but doable. I figured something else out last time but now can't remember what it was but yeah pretty much exclusively about sliding stuff into pits and Grease.

Tutorial is generally harder than main campaign but doable if you can think outside the box a little (fog cloud vs Golems for instance).

the ranger is dead weight that'll be draining XP from the party.
DK can be quite good actually, MK is rather lame, specially nearing high-level encounters.

Ranger isn't deadweight. At least play the class before opining.

Long Ranger.jpg

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
First reload in front of the crypt against the elementals.
They got the surprise round, and in 3 turns, they threw 2 stinking clouds, one web, one fireball, 2 electric spheres, a couple of magic missiles...

That's what the Half-Sal Ranger is for. They didn't get off a spell.

Why do you need Piz for Lizard/Hydra? Hydra can be Slept/Feared easily? Liz King Sanded/Grappled?

Dorateen

Arcane
On the discussion of rangers in Augury of Chaos, have arrows of slaying entered the equation? Or are high level enemies just going to make their fortitude saving throws, so the instant kill arrows will never, ever work.

Desiderius

Patron
Entangling (no save) is one enchantment point, but you can also pair things like Force with Crit Shot or pair Skewer with Rapid since your AB gets really high and with Far Shot you get a ton of range. Perfect for clogged up battlefields.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
On the discussion of rangers in Augury of Chaos, have arrows of slaying entered the equation? Or are high level enemies just going to make their fortitude saving throws, so the instant kill arrows will never, ever work.

I had no luck with them on my run this time, but back in 1.0 I killed the hydra with a lucky shot.

Desiderius

Patron
Hydra dies to Sleep + Coup. I think a Wolf coup'd him.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
the ranger is dead weight that'll be draining XP from the party.

my first ever party that i abandoned at the moon cyrpt had a ranger that was total deadweight, so i'm eager to see if anything changed here :avatard:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anybody having issues with spell selection? When I hoover over a spell icon, the description randomly doesn't match it, and even when it does after clicking the icon the spell selected is different. I have to click the icons multiple times before the game decides to pick the spell I want.

I'm playing on v1.34. Save transfer from previous version issue perhaps?

Also, since I'm posting anyway, is there any way to exploit creature's low dexterity? Some maneuver with dexterity check or smth?

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Downloading those 2 gigs again I guess. I'm sure v1.36 will come out just after that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Anybody having issues with spell selection? When I hoover over a spell icon, the description randomly doesn't match it, and even when it does after clicking the icon the spell selected is different. I have to click the icons multiple times before the game decides to pick the spell I want.

I'm playing on v1.34. Save transfer from previous version issue perhaps?

Also, since I'm posting anyway, is there any way to exploit creature's low dexterity? Some maneuver with dexterity check or smth?

The issue with spells was a 1.34 bug. The latest update, 1.35, is supposed to have fixed that.

1.35 fixed it, It's extremely stable, at least chapters 1 & 2, I didn't go farther yet.

There's a wolf in the woods of the werewolf fight that is supposed to be hostile but can't be attacked.

Yeah, I reported that already but Pierre answered it's normal, he's using that wolf for the howling background sounds.
Also, he found the source of the inactive goons while chasing the sword.

That's what the Half-Sal Ranger is for. They didn't get off a spell.

Why do you need Piz for Lizard/Hydra? Hydra can be Slept/Feared easily? Liz King Sanded/Grappled?

It was just me feeling overwhelmed after the bone dragon and vampire fight, it took me forever to kill them both.
Every other playthrough, I just OS the bone dragon with the mace, not this time... It took me 10 turns or something and he Koed my Paladin and Psychic warrior at least 5 times each.

The Salamander fight, on the other hand was a piece of cake Cleric Barbarian, Silence + wait for the salamander and one scroll of ice storm I think, It was over before it even begun.

As for the hydra, I usually use stinking cloud, this time, I just threw my Barbarian at it and he OS the hydra with a 198 damage skewer hit...
That's my boy!

And Pizarra fight was quite easy as well, but I picked the surprise round + the angel ally + I brought Erzimon which only use was to stinking cloud Pizarra's hill.
1 acorn of earthquake used, they didn't even see what hit them.

My party is on a roll, I removed the Storm Warrior from the Party and replaced him by Pizarra, Erz is on the bench as well since the whole point is to only use 2 full casters, the cleric and Pizarra.
Also, I tried a reach skewer weapon and it kind of works, not as well as a Greataxe wielded by a half giant but it works nonetheless, might even be great with whilrwind for a low caster party.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
So I have managed to advance further into tutorial, but can't figure out secret message puzzle (torn out page from stash book in bandit room). Perhaps it's easy puzzle, but my limited skills in English and lack o context (a dusty book forgotten in unremarkable room can be anything, from "the diary of half-ogre school girl who has fetish on RTWP combat" to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" the possibilities are endless) really hold me back on this one. Is this text important or it's just a some elaborate prank from dev?

Berengar

Learned
Oof this encounter might be too much for my ass party. Looks like the end of playthrough 1! Not too ruffled about this since I accidentally skipped like all of Finchbury and now know that Bards have a lot of dialogue options.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I have a question. The bravery/greater bravery armour enhancement. It only say +1/2 to attack rolls but doesn't mention the type. Does it mean it's generic, stackable or what?

I have no idea, wanted to try it but I realized Greater bravery takes a star diamond and I will not ruin an armor for just +1 so you're on your own. :P

So I have managed to advance further into tutorial, but can't figure out secret message puzzle (torn out page from stash book in bandit room). Perhaps it's easy puzzle, but my limited skills in English and lack o context (a dusty book forgotten in unremarkable room can be anything, from "the diary of half-ogre school girl who has fetish on RTWP combat" to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" the possibilities are endless) really hold me back on this one. Is this text important or it's just a some elaborate prank from dev?

I think I remember decoding it because of a name, maybe from the title or description of the letter, you check the word count in the message and from this you will decode the whole message.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I think I remember decoding it because of a name, maybe from the title or description of the letter, you check the word count in the message and from this you will decode the whole message.
YEEEES!!! Thank you, using name helped me to decode. Phew, that sure took me some time...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom