Update #69: KotC 2 Version 1.59 Fixes Bugs + New Script Types + New World Map & Temple Maps!
Hello everyone! I hope you're well. The latest version of KotC 2 is version 1.59. It can be downloaded here
for both Windows and macOS. It can also be downloaded on Steam
In the past month, I completed work on the new large-size World Map of Mindrel. The final image covers 15,000 x 15,000 pixels. That means I can use any rectangular section as a regional map. It took me a long time to finish the new world map, but I think that's fine because I'm planning to use it in all of the three upcoming adventure modules. The old world map can be found here
This month, I also created two new isometric temple maps for the new module The Dark Arena. Please scroll down to see these images. You can also read about the deities here
The new large-size World Map of Mindrel.
Alternative Display System for Very Large Maps
Separately, in the last few days, I worked on an alternative system for drawing very large adventure maps. Instead of having a single png or jpg image for the backdrop, we have a folder containing many images of size 512 x 512 pixels. ImageMagick
can be used to divide a large image into such squares.
Then the game loads and displays only those 512 x 512 squares that are contained within the player's main view at any time. As you move around, the game loads the required images in real time. That way, when starting a game, we don't have to load a huge file, which is slow. Also, we don't risk running out of memory due to the size of the image.
With the new system, for example, we could have a really huge cave system based on a single map. Such a map could be mostly black; the rest being long cave passages and a number of big cave rooms.
Temple of Tyr in Crossroad Castle. Work in progress.
Two New Script Types For Combat
As well as fixing bugs, version 1.58 limits animated weather effects such as rain and snow to the map's boundaries. It also introduces two new script types: Wounded Script and Turn Script.
The Wounded Script is triggered in combat when a creature is wounded or damaged. You can set a creature's Wounded Script in the Intelligence tab of the Creature Properties screen, within the Creature Editor. Examples of use of the Wounded Script:
1) The Wizard Zarx is essentially invulnerable until the player has done a specific thing such as destroy a mirror or a jar. After each hit, he recovers lost Hit Points and a Vrock is summoned (up to five).
2) The Necromancer Eldark has linked his body with that of a bunch of slaves using a sinister ritual. Each non-fatal hit on the Necromancer kills one of the slaves and heals the Necromancer (as with a casting of the spell Heal).
3) Garock the Barbarian will taunt the player the first time he receives a hit, shouting 'That's the best you can do?' or 'Oooh, a mosquito bite!'.
Next, the Turn Script is triggered in combat at the start of the turn of a creature. You can set a creature's Turn Script in the Intelligence tab of the Creature Properties screen, within the Creature Editor. Example of use of the Turn Script:
At the start of her turn, the Cleric Llagotha will call upon Chaotic Evil deity Hexdra
for assistance if her Hit Points have dropped below 55% of the maximum, or if half of her allies have been defeated. She won't be able to do it if she's sleeping, fascinated, stunned, dazed, affected by the spell Hideous Laughter, etc.
With the Turn Script, you don't need to check for these conditions within the script itself, as the Turn Script for a character will only be executed when that character can act normally. You do need to track whether the script was executed before if you don't want the script to be executed multiple times.
Preview image from the new large-size World Map of Mindrel.
Updated Hearkenwold Adventure & New Videos
Thank you so much Dorateen for updating Hearkenwold
and for uploading new videos! Kudos!!
for the new Hearkenwold video showing the new rain and water animations and click here
for the new video showing the Throw Creature combat manoeuvre.
List of changes in KotC 2 Version 1.59
- Fixed a problem with the animation of tiny crawling bugs. They would stop moving after a very short while. That bug was introduced in the February update; my apologies.
- Fixed a bug with the Reach Domain of the Cleric and Bishop not granting the +2 bonus on the attack roll for the spell Magic Stone. Thank you very much Quincy for letting me know about this!
- Fixed a bug with the Rogue's version of the spells Shocking Grasp and Greater Shocking Grasp not granting the +4 attack roll bonus when the target wears metal armour.
- Fixed a bug with the Druid's version of the spell Ice Lance not granting its +4 attack roll bonus.
- Fixed a slowdown when opening and closing the Script Editor from the Intelligence tab of the Creature Properties screen. When closing the Script Editor, processing will now take place only if you've actually saved a script.
Temple of Palanthias in Crossroad Castle. Work in progress.
List of changes in KotC 2 Version 1.58
- Added the following options in the Game Options screen, under Display: limit weather effects to map boundaries, allow map colour changes due to rain, allow rain special effects, allow snow special effects, allow falling-leaves special effects, allow will-of-the-wisp (glows) special effects, allow fog special effects. Also updated the in-game help entry for game options.
- Fixed a source of crashes when moving the party with the numeric keypad and the destination square exceeds the map's boundaries.
- Fixed a bug with the recording of game time. This would result in the display of an incorrect game time when loading a saved game. See the previous update for details.
- Fixed bugs with the weather effects when the frequency is set as 'always' for any of them.
- The combat-action tooltip for the Elephant Spirit Animal Sonic Breath Weapon will now indicate that it is indeed the Elephant Spirit Animal, and not another type of breath weapon.
- Added the code required for the execution of scripts that are triggered in combat when a creature is wounded or damaged. See above for details.
- Added the code required for the execution of scripts that are triggered in combat at the start of the turn of a creature. See above for details.
Preview image from the new large-size World Map of Mindrel.
Next Steps for Knights of the Chalice 2
Nearly unchanged from the previous update
, the next development steps are the following:
- Work on the three upcoming adventure modules. Create new adventure maps & regional maps.
- Hire a graphic designer to create new sprites, new maps and other types of artwork.
- Fix any remaining issues mentioned on the Steam Forum, GOG Forum, website Forums, and by email.
- Implement new features such as new monster abilities, subraces, familiars, items and the fog effect.
As always, if you find bugs or if you have any feedback, thoughts and suggestions, please feel free to let me know here, or in the Forums
, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank You So Much For Your Support, Great Wizards and Mighty Knights of the Realm! Enjoy!!