Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

almondblight

Arcane
Pricing his game at a more reasonable sum would make him more money. I told him as much by email and his response was... "Ok you're right I'll do some sales in the future!"

No, Pierre, not sales.
Reduce the base price to something like 19,99€ at the most, or 14,99€, more in line with what other indie games in this genre have.
But no, that's still at 39,99€ which is more than any other indie RPG I ever played.

Pierre just doesn't understand business.

Especially since more people means more modules which means more sales. A game like this thrives with a big community.

Keep pushing him, maybe he'll eventually budge.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Reinhardt

Arcane

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Any build advice for AoC? Dunno which races to pick.

I want something like 2 Glad, 1 Cleric, 2 Wiz (one CC and the other damage). Dunno about the rest. Mantis Rogue for pickoff maybe.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I want two Gladiators with reach weapons. Imba class, lots of feats, can use all weapons and high Hit Dice. Also gets Uncanny Dodge (cannot be flat footed). For this to work well both need to have,

Cleave
Combat Reflexes
Blind Fight
Disarms/Trips

It's something that worked excellently in ToEE

Need one Mantis Rogue for picking off Disarmed/Prone targets.

One Cleric, two wizards, but dunno which races.

Dorateen

Arcane
Stygian Humans work well for wizards, but make sure to take the Improved Initiative feat. That is one of the most important considerations. There are a lot of options for Cleric domain selection, and these can often provide choices later on in AoC.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I want two Gladiators with reach weapons. Imba class, lots of feats, can use all weapons and high Hit Dice. Also gets Uncanny Dodge (cannot be flat footed). For this to work well both need to have,

Cleave
Combat Reflexes
Blind Fight
Disarms/Trips

It's something that worked excellently in ToEE

Need one Mantis Rogue for picking off Disarmed/Prone targets.

One Cleric, two wizards, but dunno which races.
The following tips might be all bullshit but anyway :

Are you sure about the two gladiators? I remember thinking my fighter was stronger than my gladiator because of exactly one feat the first could take and the second could not, apparently called "Wade in" from what I wrote somewhere else.

Not sure which but knowing different classes will definitely unlock more different options before fights I would probably use 6 different classes if I played again. More different races too, I guess, I'm not even certain but in the doubt I would use 6 different races.

I also think a Rogue is indeed worth it, the main reason is because he's often useful before and between the fights because he can detect things.

Don't hesitate to make your gladiators respectively Mantis and Half-giant or something, the game is hard enough that going full munchkins is fine.

I think my psionicist was cool, but maybe a second mage is just as good.
I was looking at Mantis Gladiator

How did this work out for you?

Mantis has a lot of APR but low dmg due to 14 maximum starting strength

If you take Fencer Rogue specialization you can use Dex modifier for dmg
At the end of the game my Mantis Gladiator was doing 27 hits a round so damage was high enough with the good weapons and items, and with the Fitness feat replacing strength for dexterity for attack then attack was good enough too.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I remember she was using 4 weapons and I remember that indeed several dual wielding feats raised her power by a mile.

What I can't remember is how she bypassed a lack of reach weapons.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Those pics look quite a lot better than Augury, though the isometric perspective bothers me because tokens will look weird on it, while the isometric character sprites he added to appease the whiners are just ugly as hell.
To be honest Pierre's tokens aren't the prettiest either. Don't get me wrong, I played with tokens most of the game but that's because they look better than sprites in a top-down dungeon Same as sprites looking less out place than tokens in the first part of the game. If Pierre made the game "isometric" from the start some - not all - people, who say today how sprites are ugly, would be saying that they are OK. I say they are OK now. OK as is "serviceable" not as in "pretty". Same as tokens. The idea Pierre had for the tabletop-like look was interesting but IMO he didn't use it very well so "isometric" is better choice.
The more important part are the environments and Pierre seems to abandon the cheap, "glue some free assets semi-randomly" approach, and went with something better for the second part. The only problem I have with graphics now is that his sprites don't have all models for all races, one needs to improvise. Hope he adds them.
In the end I honestly don't care. For me both parts of the game, the early game "iso"+sprites and all the 2d rest looked ok - and nothing more. As long as he doesn't go with ASCII i'm good in case of a Pierre's game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom