Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kodex GOTY 2021

GOTY

• Total voters

vazha

Arcane
What an absolute shitshow.
Trials of Fire, I guess. A deckbuilder, sure, but does its job which is more than can be said about the absolute majority of games on the list

notpl

Arbiter
Wrath of the Righteous is the best rpg since Kingmaker but unfortunately Archolos snuck in with a few seconds left on the clock to claim the title of goty easily. Gothic > D&D every time

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I was torn between Solasta and PF:WOTR. I really like the way Solasta does things, but ultimately there's not quite enough game there for it to be a GOTY, it's more like a proof of concept exercise (and it'll certainly provide a nice foundation for user-generated content).

PF:WOTR has lots of little problems, but it's such a gigantic work that you can hardly expect it to be perfect on release, and judging by Owlcat's track record, it wlll all be well-polished eventually. At any rate, I haven't been as absorbed by a game since Troubleshooter last year, and PF:K before that.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
On that list I've only played Pathfinder, Solasta, and Encased. I think some of the other games might be better, maybe ATOM, but I didn't play them so I had to give it to Solasta. Not a great year, obviously.

wishbonetail

Learned
I've played FalloutNevada, like 3 years ago. That's it. But i'll still vote couse it's my sacred duty.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
One day somebody will have to meticulously detail how the codex's opinion on Owlcat games changed. It will be worth many lulz.

Until that day, we have the cringefinder thread, I guess.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
One day somebody will have to meticulously detail how the codex's opinion on Owlcat games changed. It will be worth many lulz.

:deathclaw:

But did it? People have seen them as sjw cunts even when they released kingmaker,doesn't change the fact that kingmaker is a good game while wrath of trannies is garbage tier.

notpl

Arbiter

But did it? People have seen them as sjw cunts even when they released kingmaker,doesn't change the fact that kingmaker is a good game while wrath of trannies is garbage tier.
wotr is significantly better than kingmaker in every gameplay respect (the only ones that matter)

also, if you actually play the game, the trans character is written as a manipulative bpd psychopath, it's great

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I dunno, codexers seemed to like Owlcat before the release of WotR.

Also, is WotR garbage-tier mechanically? I tried it but the boring/lame/time-consuming army management turned me off.

Both Pathfinder games would be much better without those kingdom/army management systems.

Actually now that I think about it, both games would be better without 90% of the writing and were just pure build/combat simulators.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter

Also, is WotR garbage-tier mechanically? I tried it but the boring/lame/time-consuming army management turned me off.

Both Pathfinder games would be much better without those kingdom/army management systems.
They give you the option to completely automate it and never touch the system at all, to be fair. For whatever reason that garbage seems to make Russians happy.

Saduj

Arcane
Voted Geneforge 1: Mutagen. I would have had second thoughts on voting for a remake. But the presence of Fallout of Nevada, released several years ago, on the list makes such a concern moot.

If I was going to vote for completely original content, I would have gone with Atom: Trudograd.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

They give you the option to completely automate it and never touch the system at all, to be fair. For whatever reason that garbage seems to make Russians happy.

Doesn't having it on auto lock you out of content though? And if you just automate the battles, the AI is straight retarded and you'll lose when you should've won easily.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Doesn't having it on auto lock you out of content though? And if you just automate the battles, the AI is straight retarded and you'll lose when you should've won easily.
The game is bad even if you ignore retarded writing and the tranny shit,it is just not a good rpg.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Bravely Default II should have been on the list. It deserves it more than Nocturne. At least it's a new game.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Turning it off doesn't lock you out of any meaningful content. Just some useless relics and crusade decisions. Auto battles are bugged though yes.

The real problem with auto crusade is that you don't have a skip time button without the crusade menu. Which means you'll have to spam rest at certain points.

WOTR winning is the collective Codex cry that we support trans rights. Nobody can accuse codexers of being nazis again.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
tbh if there was an exemplar case for kodexers looking really hard for something to be offended about, trans shit in wotr seems to be it. you have to get really deep into dialog with a rather unlikable npc to find it, right?
Yes it is actually pretty difficult to find. Locked behind an easy to miss side quest early game and requiring a lot of digging into dialogue and a lategame diplomacy check. I've played through the entire game a few times and wouldn't know she's trans if it weren't for people talking about how she's trans in the actual adventure path.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Who cares about trannies. Wrath is mind numbingly boring after first hours. It's like they looked at house at the edge of time from kangmaker and decided to stretch it for full game. Encounter after encounter of same demons with slightly different names.

gothfox

Liturgist
one of the - admittedly stupid - reasons i liked both pathfinder games is that when the defeated npc inevitably initiates dialog you can just tell it to stfu and finish it off. it's a small detail, but it always makes me feel good.

i was so tired of fucking fey and their constant bullshit at the end of kingmaker i was just finishing those fuckers left and right, it was a cathartic experience.

sure combat is monotonous but i'm not a build/combatfag, and it's an rtwp game anyway, so it doesn't diminish my enjoyment. i wish there was a functional party AI though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom