Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play: Rage of Mages 2 (The End)

Big Nose George

Educated
I put on my robe and wizard hat =D

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
The Rage of Mages games would have benefited enormously from RTwP... I could never get the various retards under my command properly co-ordinated in real time, but maybe I'm getting old.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Àëëîäû 2, fuck yeah! I played it when i was a kid, it was so hard i couldn't finish it even with a guide.

North of the village we meet a new type of foe: GIANT BEES. While their defence and hp is laughable, they can hit pretty hard, and are especially dangerous in large swarms and on higher levels.

rom0243.jpg

These are giant mosquitoes, buddy

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Clockwork Knight said:
North of the village we meet a new type of foe: GIANT BEES. While their defence and hp is laughable, they can hit pretty hard, and are especially dangerous in large swarms and on higher levels.

rom0243.jpg

These are giant mosquitoes, buddy

No shit, but in game they're called 'giant bees'.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
rom0282.jpg

We arrive near the adamantium mines, and again, Kingcomrad has his doubts.

rom0283.jpg

Heading northward, we come upon this humble village.

rom0284.jpg

rom0285.jpg

Splendid. Let us head north.

rom0286.jpg

On the way we're attacked by a pack of wolves... LEAD BY A GREEN WOLF.

This green wolf is a level 2 wolf. Generally, more powerful versions of monsters can be identified by different colours or equipment, if we're talking about undead or humans.

Level two or not, this wolf is also pretty useless.

rom0287.jpg

Traversing the wilderness, we also come upon this lovely brigand camp.

rom0288.jpg

The two shamans nearly got Igles killed.

rom0289.jpg

Finally, we arrive at the blacksmith's place. He looks like a perfectly sane and healthy individual, doesn't he?

rom0290.jpg

rom0291.jpg

rom0292.jpg

rom0293.jpg

rom0294.jpg

rom0295.jpg

rom0296.jpg

Peculiar. We will need to search for more clues. We head off north.

rom0297.jpg

rom0298.jpg

And there we find the famous mines. Pretty much the whole mountain is filled with them, but they're nothing but decoration.

rom0308.jpg

A short treck south we find this fellow.

rom0299.jpg

merch.jpg
I am not a farmer! I'm Galen's apprentice!

kc.jpg
This is great news! Please tell me, what has happened to Galen? There is something artificial about the way he looks and talks.

merch.jpg
I don't know, sir...

kc.jpg
Why are you so scared? You know something, but you're afraid to tell me, aren't you? If you tell me, I may be able to help your master!

merch.jpg
The necromancers visited us and placed a curse on my master! Now he doesn't recognise anyone and doesn't talk at all. He just works day and night at his smithy. I have heard that such curses can be removed by killing the mage that created it, but how can I possibly confront the power of necromancers?

kc.jpg
Where are these necromancers right now?

merch.jpg
They're in a village in the east. They're also holding some hostages from our village! Please try and help them!

Do not despair, peasant! The great wizard Kingcomrad will save the day!

rom0309.jpg

Going east, we find the first signs of the Negrodancers' foul magic.

rom0310.jpg

And further east, we arrive at the, uh... village.

rom0311.jpg

Mighty fine village it is. Coffins, skeletons, houses made of bones. And of course, we have sighted our first negrodancer enemy.

rom0312.jpg

Igles rushes headfirst to chop up the enemy mage, but he is attacked by enemy forces coming from the south!

rom0313.jpg

A skeleton. Fear it. There's also another necromancer shoopin' fire arrows from the south, but he's off the screen.

Those black bubbles on Igles are the necromancer's 'drain life' spell.

rom0314.jpg

Igles nearly hits the dirt, but he manages to hack up the mage and skeleton. Similarly to the troll challenge in our first mission, the southern necromancer couldn't see Igles anymore after his allies were killed, so he got confused and lost interest. We'll be returning to him later.

rom0315.jpg

On the corpse of the necro we find a lightning spellbook. KC doesn't use air magickz, but another spell can't hurt, eh?

rom0316.jpg

Another new type of undead - a skeleton archer. Encouraged by our previous epic victory, we rush in to chop 'em up for bbq again.

Unfortunately, there was a lightning-spamming necromancer behind the skeleton, and the zombie charged Kingcomrad instead of Igles.

rom0317.jpg

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Okay, time warp.

rom0318.jpg

This time Igles rushes ahead, while Kingcomrad tries to heal him.

Unfortunately, he gets blocked by the undead minions and the necromancer soon sends a couple hundred volts through him.

rom0319.jpg

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Okay, another timewarp. This will require a different approach.

Let's try going from the north, so we can be as close to the necro as possible...

rom0320.jpg

But, of course, Sir Clueless had to stray off his path and aggroed the undead mob.

rom0319.jpg

Okay. Timewarp again. This time, we'll send Igles first, and disarm KC to let the AI stand behind and heal.

You see, when your mage is armed with a staff, he will autoattack anything that comes close, but if you disarm him, he'll just stand back and cast supportive spells (like healing) automatically. Autocast healing is a lot more efficient than doing it manually, because while you manually use the spell maybe once, the AI will use it thrice. Don't ask me how that is possible.

rom0321.jpg

Zombie down.

rom0322.jpg

So is the skeleton.

rom0323.jpg

Archer soon follows.

rom0324.jpg

And finally, the necromancer himself.

Shit was tough.

rom0325.jpg

Heading south, we come across the necromancer who barraged us before.

rom0326.jpg

Since he's out of support, he goes down fairly quickly.

rom0327.jpg

Another one further south.

rom0328.jpg

Some more undead.

rom0329.jpg

And on the edge of the village, we meet another enemy: THE BAT.

rom0330.jpg

These assholes are superannoying, because they usually come in big groups, they're airborne, so they can't be hit in melee, and have a rather high ranged attack speed that can take you down rather fast.

But, since they're just level 1, Kingcomrad's magic staff takes care of them with no problem.

rom0331.jpg

rom0332.jpg

rom0333.jpg

rom0334.jpg

We need to secure the area completely before they can be freed.

rom0335.jpg

Some more zombies.

rom0336.jpg

But wait, what is this? This is a level 2 zombie. As you can see, these assholes come with basic weaponry and armour. At higher levels, they'll be sporting full plate armours.

rom0337.jpg

Chop chop.

rom0338.jpg

Another zombie.

rom0339.jpg

And more bats.

Area secured, we can get the peasants.

rom0340.jpg

rom0341.jpg

On our way home, we meet a level 2 squirrel.

rom0343.jpg

rom0344.jpg

10k gold. Damn right.

After that we visit the blacksmith.

rom0345.jpg

rom0346.jpg

rom0347.jpg

rom0348.jpg

rom0349.jpg

After that, we get a short bonus mission.

rom0350.jpg

Indeed he will. This mission is timed, so we hafta move it.

rom0351.jpg

Brigands and wolves try to stop us.

rom0352.jpg

But they die in a few seconds.

rom0353.jpg

Shit.

Well, time warp. Since we're attacked only by shitty wolves and brigands, we can just ignore them and run through.

rom0354.jpg

The wolves also make for a pretty good distraction, and soon everything loses interest in us.

rom0355.jpg

That's the guy. CHARGE!

rom0356.jpg

rom0357.jpg

Victoly! But, we don't return to town yet, as the sword bearer dropped phat loot that we just can't miss.

rom0358.jpg

A magic two-handed sword, with almost double the damage of Igles's current one.

rom0359.jpg

rom0360.jpg

We can also go test it on the brigands.

rom0361.jpg

Well, what do you know. These useless fools actually got all killed by wolves.

rom0362.jpg

Exploring the rest of the map, we come across some bats and an ogre.

rom0363.jpg

Igles gets hit in the face a couple times too many and we have to run away.

Will Kingcomrad always have to run from ogres? :(

rom0365.jpg

After a quick pitstop, we return.

rom0366.jpg

rom0367.jpg

And the ogre goes down.

Nothing more to be had here, let's get back to town.

rom0368.jpg

First, we sell all the junk we got.

rom0370.jpg

Then buy Igles a new helmet.

rom0371.jpg

rom0372.jpg

And again, some new threads for KC.

rom0373.jpg

rom0374.jpg

rom0375.jpg

rom0376.jpg

Pimpin'

rom0377.jpg

Also, a haste spell might become handy in the future.

rom0378.jpg

Next stop: Lyrisha Village.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why the heck does the guy run away with a MITHRIL sword from the ADAMANTITE mines, sword forged by the blacksmith providing ADAMANTITE swords to the merchant? Huh? :conspiracy:

Looks hard but nice, keep going.

Black_Willow

Arcane
I watch Igles die in the battle while your mage shoots crappy firbolts and a question comes to my mind: Why won't you make Kingcomrad un-equip his staff and autoheal Igles?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Black_Willow said:
I watch Igles die in the battle while your mage shoots crappy firbolts and a question comes to my mind: Why won't you make Kingcomrad un-equip his staff and autoheal Igles?

Because that's lame and popamole :(

Black_Willow

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Black_Willow said:

Because that's lame and popamole :(
rom0319.jpg

I see your point :smug:

laclongquan

Arcane
It's actually a bit hard in that you have to use heal, unlike BGs style of quaffing potions.

Hmmm.... IIRC, the last time I played this shit with a amazon archer. The hired mages were not sufficient, it seemed.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
laclongquan said:
It's actually a bit hard in that you have to use heal, unlike BGs style of quaffing potions.

Yes and no. You can also buy healing potions in shops and then spam them like crazy, but it's not really good cost-wise. It's good to have a few on you as 'panic buttons', but if you wanted to make them your only source of healing, you'd be constantly out of cash.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
rom0379.jpg

We arrive in the vicinity of Lyrisha village. Igles doesn't foresee any trouble.

rom0380.jpg

rom0381.jpg

rom0382.jpg

rom0383.jpg

rom0384.jpg

Ogre? What ogre?

rom0385.jpg

WHAT OGRE?! :?

Nobody ever tells me anything :(

rom0386.jpg

rom0387.jpg

igles.jpg
Let's get straight to the business that brought me here, shall we? What happened?

headman.jpg
Oh, young lord! Do you know my son? My only beloved son?

igles.jpg
Of course I do, what could possibly happen to a huge guy like him? Was he kidnapped?

headman.jpg
Worse, my lord. He was drafted! I tried to show them the protection papers you gave us, and told them that my lord would be enraged, but they only murmured something about 'the nobles getting it too' and left.

igles.jpg
Drafted!!?? Who did this?!

headman.jpg
Some soldiers, an officer and a mage. I grabbed my axe to defend the village, but the soldiers beat me up and then the officer threatened to send in some people to burn down the village.

UO1010.jpg

headman.jpg
I told them that I would tell my lord about them, but they only laughed and then headed to Daustun, far to the west from here.

igles.jpg
So they laughed, huh? Well, I'm going to join the fun too. Just let me catch up with them! Can you protect yourself from the bandits while I'm gone? Do you have enough weapons and supplies?

headman.jpg
Our watchmen have clubs, and we also have hunting bows that we can use.

igles.jpg
That's not much. I'll do my best to be back here when the bandits arrive. Together we can explain to them that this is OUR land.

Damn right. But first! we should check the road we came from again for oddities.

rom0398.jpg

Ah-HAH! An ogre!

rom0399.jpg

Igles takes a few blows to the face and needs to hightail it.

rom0400.jpg

With Clueless nearly dead, we actually manage to defeat the beast.

rom0401.jpg

Anyway, going east from the village, we come upon this grim scene:

rom0402.jpg

rom0403.jpg

rom0404.jpg

rom0405.jpg

rom0406.jpg

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

rom0407.jpg

Being a good samaritan, Kingcomrad heals the dying peasants.

rom0408.jpg

Yeah, I'd prefer cash in addition to your thanks, though.

rom0409.jpg

Heading north, we encounter signs of foul negromancy.

rom0410.jpg

The shitty level 1 zombies are no match and go down quickly.

rom0411.jpg

And just next to the defiled cemetery, we find the kidnapped villagers and soldiers... lead by a negrodancer. Surprise, surprise.

rom0412.jpg

This place has 'trouble' written all over it, so we better proceed with a appropriate battle formation.

rom0413.jpg

Kingcomrad is disarmed and stays back in order to heal Igles while he uses his 1337 diplomacy.

rom0414.jpg

rom0415.jpg

rom0416.jpg

rom0417.jpg

rom0418.jpg

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN RAGE OF MAGES 2

rom0419.jpg

rom0420.jpg

Igles was a step away from the mage, and hacked him to pieces in two blows.

rom0421.jpg

rom0422.jpg

The rest soon followed, as they sucked balls.

We now get three villagers that will be mindlessly following us. And that's why we should keep on exploring instead of dropping them in the village!

rom0423.jpg

Heading north, we find this strange place.

rom0424.jpg

It also appears to be guarded by... A SUCCUBUS.

These are probably some of the toughest enemies in game. They are spellcasters that can throw around some really mean spells, starting with fireballs and even having petrification on higher levels iirc. In addition, they're airborne, just like bats, so they can't be hit by melee waffen.

rom0426.jpg

The tactics are rather silly: Kingcomrad stays at the back and keeps healing Igles while waiting for the succubus to run out of mana. Then we'll engage.

rom0427.jpg

Many enemies run away when they're low on hp. With flying enemies it is most annoying, because they ignore terrain obstacles like trees and can FLY AWAY FROM THE MAP, which means you have to politely wait for them to return.

rom0429.jpg

After a third try, the succubus finally dies before it manages to fly away.

rom0430.jpg

Heading west, we find some peasants getting slaughtered by wild animals. Fortunately, they aren't needed for any quest.

rom0431.jpg

After that, we go south and encounter the meanest son of a bitch of them all...

rom0432.jpg

The dragon. Not only are they tough - they are also airborne, just like bats and succubi and throw around a plethora of nasty spells.

rom0433.jpg

We can't even use the same tactics we used against the succubus, because Kingcomrad runs out of mana for healing faster than the dragon runs out of his. Igles's crossbow does absolutely nothing, and we can't move Kingcomrad in to engage the beast with firebolts, because once he's in range, the dragon changes targets and KC goes down in 2-3 fireballs.

This is a battle we cannot win. Fortunately, it's optional so we can just use time warp and ignore the dragon... but our self-esteem will never recover :(

We can only return the peasants to the village, then.

rom0434.jpg

rom0435.jpg

rom0436.jpg

D: !!!!!!

rom0437.jpg

These folks don't quite look like bandits to me.

rom0438.jpg

Clad in full plate armour, this is military stuff not just some silly treehugging brigands.

rom0439.jpg

There's also a negrodancer with them... Fishy, isn't it?

rom0440.jpg

But after a while the battle is won. Pretty much half the village got wiped out, but collateral damage is acceptable :smug:

rom0441.jpg

rom0442.jpg

rom0443.jpg

Vielen dank.

rom0444.jpg

rom0445.jpg

rom0446.jpg

rom0447.jpg

Thus, we return to Kaarg. The townsfolk have new useless monologues for us!

rom0448.jpg

rom0449.jpg

rom0450.jpg

rom0451.jpg

rom0452.jpg

In the tavern we find a new hireling.

rom0453.jpg

rom0454.jpg

Let's chat with Igles.

kc.jpg
So what can you say about that strange thing the headman gave us? It seems to be a part of something. Something resembling a crown.

igles.jpg
Exactly! A crown indeed! Remember seeing the king's statue here in town? Remember what his crown looks like? Now imagine it broken into three pieces. There's no doubt we have a part of the crown of Yases. But how could this happen? It's not just a pretty piece of jewelry. It's an extremely powerful magical artifact!

kc.jpg
You did not have to explain that to me. It is hard not to sense the magic of this item. But who made the magic crown?

igles.jpg
Long ago it was given to the very first king of Yases by the necromancer guild. The spell on the crown protects its bearer from the magic of astral. This was the condition set by the ancient king when he allowed the necromancers to form a guild in his lands. The sovereign of Yases must be protected from their magic. But nobody has seen the present king wearing this crown for quite some time. He's always wearing a helmet with a faceplate now. People say he's been doing that since the day when Urd, the head of the necromancer guild, took place of the deceased Great Mage Yokke.

kc.jpg
I can't believe we really possess a piece of the crown of Yases!

igles.jpg
I don't understand! Who in his right mind would break the crown into pieces? And what does it have to do with the stars?

kc.jpg
We shouldn't be talking so loud, people will start listening to our conversation... Too late, one of them has turned to us. Let's hope he's drunk enough to forget what he's heard.

merch.jpg
I dun f-f-forget nuthin! You were talkin about s-stars (hic) but you don't know annnnnything about them. We in Ushut have an old man who knows everything about the stars! He lives a couple leagues south of sanity, though, and b-brings up his granddaughter in the same way. But he's really good at this star business. Hey, waiter! More beer! I want to drink to my astrologer friends!

kc.jpg
I hope this dipsomaniac is more interested in his beer than in our business. By the way, Sir Igles, how far is Ushut? And what kind of place is it?

igles.jpg
It's a small town, more of a village, really, not far from the capital. I think we should see if this astrologer really exists. He might be able to explain a couple of things to us!

rom0472.jpg

The drunk guy.

rom0473.jpg

rom0474.jpg

Some mage.

rom0475.jpg

rom0476.jpg

rom0477.jpg

rom0478.jpg

rom0479.jpg

rom0480.jpg

Interesting.

rom0481.jpg

Some random peasant.

rom0482.jpg

rom0483.jpg

rom0484.jpg

rom0486.jpg

rom0487.jpg

rom0488.jpg

rom0489.jpg

There sure are many dragon problems across the kingdom.

rom0490.jpg

A necromancer? What does this scum want?

rom0491.jpg

rom0492.jpg

rom0494.jpg

rom0495.jpg

Rebels, eh? Somehow, I don't buy it, but whatever, as long as we get to chop more undead.

rom0496.jpg

Next, we head to the shoppe, which received a shipment of mithril goods.

rom0497.jpg

And we buy Igles a supersilly helmet.

Now, choose where we should go next:

rom0498.jpg

Main quest.

rom0499.jpg

Dragon trouble.

rom0500.jpg

Dragon trouble 2.

rom0501.jpg

Rebel necromancers.

Obviously, given our previous encounter with a dragon in Lyrisha, if you choose to send Kingcomrad and friends on either mission with dragons, I'll hire the amazon archer to aid us.

DISCUSS!!!

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I would prefer to watch him suffer while trying to kill a dragon but negormancers are acceptable too...

lightbane

Arcane
I would say help the chick mage, perhaps she'll pay you with a "special favor"...

:smug:

lightbane said:
I would say help the chick mage, perhaps she'll pay you with a "special favor"...
Deceit is rather obvious there. Another succubus in disguise would be my main guess. With the possibility of another artifact's presence at the tower being a stone throw away.
Or just someone trying to con KC into doing the dirty work to grab the loot and give him the finger.
I say go for the dragons if KC's up to it. If not, the necromancer "rebels".

Sagus said:
lightbane said:
Deceit is rather obvious there.

Yeah, it has "trap" written all over it. Then again, that's what makes things fun, innit?

Go help her. Chances are you'll get a mage reward, and you're a mage.

Go for the negrodancers later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom