Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Which BG2 LP style would You prefer?

• The Codex Solo / Core

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • The Codex + 1 helper / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Insane

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 6 new characters / Insane

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

taplonaplo

Scholar
Hieromancer said:
Funny thing is, he actually doesn't turn hostile if you attempt to paralyze him with the rod, so you can shoot him as many times as you want until it sticks. Killing him on iron man is very doable, and I've done it before.
I'm not saying it's not the way to do it. I had my fair share of dragon killing with wand of cloud kills, but i wouldn't exactly call that an achievement. The question was whether anybody defeated it without reloading/abusing script bug/luck with the wand of paralyzation.

Hieromancer

Educated
taplonaplo said:
Hieromancer said:
Funny thing is, he actually doesn't turn hostile if you attempt to paralyze him with the rod, so you can shoot him as many times as you want until it sticks. Killing him on iron man is very doable, and I've done it before.
I'm not saying it's not the way to do it. I had my fair share of dragon killing with wand of cloud kills, but i wouldn't exactly call that an achievement. The question was whether anybody defeated it without reloading/abusing script bug/luck with the wand of paralyzation.

Not sure. It'd be quite a task though. Aside from the -20 AC, he gets massive resistances to elemental damage and physical attacks. Though I'm left to wonder why Bioware didn't just outright make him invincible rather than go to such annoying-but-flawed lengths to protect him.

But, you know, he has a really spiffy robe. Something a chaotic neutral F/M/T could get some really good use out of. Just saying. :D

desocupado

Magister
Great LP, keep going op.

I'm sure there aren't any more gibberlings (I don't actually know).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
taplonaplo said:
I don't know which is worse. Basic Tutu spawn with the ridiculous respawn rates, or BGSpawn mod with it's scaling shit. Altho 2 vampiric wolf lords that cast fear every other round and dispel magic and also summon some adds, one of which could oneshot any of my char with it's stupid high fire damage certainly explained why the common folk talk about how dangerous the roads are.

I actually wanted the game to be as similar to BG1 as possible (though I wouldn't mind some improved AI). I wasn't aware that tutu changes the spawns in any way. In the end, it will make this LP cover much fewer areas than initially planned, since respawning enemies will have The Codex reach level cap faster.

Mikayel said:
Where the fuck is fireball when you need it.

Get a wand of fire asap man ;(

That might not be a bad idea, although I'm not a fan of buying items with limited charges, so I'll try to remember where I can find a free one ;)

Hieromancer said:
Another question, by the way, will either Drizzt and/or Shandalar survive the end of the game?

Ulgoth's Beard is not anywhere near our planned travel route, so Shandalar will live (unless we have some spare time and codexers explicitly tell me to go there and kill him). As for Drizzt: if we meet him, he dies (though probably not right away).
Anyway, I'm not doing any stuff like paralyzing a non-hostile enemy. The combat has to be initiated first - either by dialogue, attacking the enemy or using a damage-dealing spell (yes, that last one still allows some abuse :smug: ).

I planned to pots the next update today, but due to some procedural problems, it might be slightly delayed.

EDIT: more delay. Photobucket account bandwidth exceeded (already?). Gotta create a new one and upload images there. Can't do it from here (work).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #5: The Friendly Flaming Fist Inn

We are finally able to leave gibberlingland and enter a much more friendly neighbourhood.

up5_Baldr004.jpg

codex_m.jpg
It even has 'friendly' in the name. I bet they give away free swords here!

up5_Baldr005.jpg

I didn't screenshot The Codex' initial stats for this place, since almost nothing had changed since the last level up.

We head straight into the inn...
up5_Baldr006.jpg

...and are surprised by an assassin!

codex_m.jpg
Surprised, indeed, heh, heh, heh.

up5_Baldr007.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I don't want to talk to you! We're not here for the plot!

up5_Baldr009.jpg

Tarnesh manages to mirror image himself.

up5_Baldr012.jpg

Which extends his lifespan by approximately 3 seconds.

codex_m.jpg
Send Sarevok my regards!

What? How's he supposed to do that, if he's dead?

codex_m.jpg
Oh, they'lll meet in hell, eventually. When I kill Sarevok :smug:

But... doesn't that mean Tarnesh meets him after You meet... Urg. Ok, I'm not analyzing this. Move on!

up5_Baldr013.jpg

The Codex heads inside.

up5_Baldr014.jpg

Entering the shoppe.

up5_Baldr015.jpg

We sell some loot. The Codex' expertise in Identify allows us to profit even on the transvestite belt :thumbsup:

up5_Baldr016.jpg

We buy a new sword, with a backup.

codex_m.jpg
Oh no, we're not buying anything! I want MY sword back.

You mean the one which broke and was trashed, back in the wilderness?

codex_m.jpg
Yes!

What's the difference? These swords are exactly the same.

codex_m.jpg
For you, maybe. But that broken sword was my friend. I refuse to replace him with substitutes.

Ok, ok, I know: this is the same sword! It came all the way here, was repaired and waiting for You to buy it again! How about that?

codex_m.jpg
Ok, sounds reasonable. But, what's with the second sword?

It's the first one's long-lost twin brother that has decided to join You on Your noble quest.

codex_m.jpg
Sweet! Welcome aboard, boys! :love:

up5_Baldr017.jpg

The Codex' combat stats with the new... I mean retrieved sword.

up5_Baldr018.jpg

We will finally be able to use two-handed weapon fighting style bonuses. The Codex should deal twice as much critical hits as before.

up5_Baldr019.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Look, two half-elves willing to give me all their stuff!

Ain't that just so nice of them?

up5_Baldr020.jpg

Yes, the resemblance to Gorion is uncanny, obviously.

codex_m.jpg
I'm much more handsome!

up5_Baldr021.jpg

Jaheira doesn't really have anything usefful, save a potion of invisibilty.

up5_Baldr022.jpg

It's a little better with Khalid. At least we can sell his weapons and armour.

codex_m.jpg
Wow, he's a dual wielder now. Great idea to make his already crappy THAC0 even worse!

up5_Baldr023.jpg

We say our farewells.

up5_Baldr024.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes. Bye. And don't forget Your bitchy wife!

up5_Baldr026.jpg

If You don't arrive at the Friendly Arm Inn in time, Khalid and Jaheira will disappear - presumably leaving after You failed to show up. But if You recruit them and make them leave the party immediately after, they will stay here and wait for Your return indefinitely.

up5_Baldr027.jpg

We'll use this chest as a stash.

up5_Baldr029.jpg

We pack Gorion's letter and some bandit scalps.

codex_m.jpg
I still say these are toupees.

up5_Baldr030.jpg

Notable loot: a healing potion is found in the inn's kitchen.

codex_m.jpg
Do you think they keep it here to cure food poisoning?

They would probably need an antidote for that.

codex_m.jpg
The anti-what?

That green stuff.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, the cow cure! It's the bottle that is green, not the liquid.

Whatever.

up5_Baldr031.jpg

We head upstairs to help ourselves to the inn's guests' possessions.

codex_m.jpg
That's an awfully convoluted sentence You managed to create there.

Yeah, I know, I sometimes get tangled in my basal ganglia.

codex_m.jpg
I'll pretend You didn't say that.

up5_Baldr032.jpg

We immediately encounter an un-unlockable chest.

codex_m.jpg
Goddammit! Why do these things keep persecuting me? :x I only want to take other people's stuff!

up5_Baldr033.jpg

We take what we can, including some more notable loot: another healing potion.

codex_m.jpg
Not that I mind the gold, too :smug:

up5_Baldr035.jpg

This chest is being watched by some guy. We'll try to open it anyway.

codex_m.jpg
What can go wrong?

up5_Baldr036.jpg

codex_m.jpg
The fucker called the guards!

up5_Baldr037.jpg

We try to reason with them, but Flaming Fisters are not bribeable. Offering them gold only makes us lose reputation.

up5_Baldr038.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ow! This guy hits hard!

up5_Baldr039.jpg

You can say that again. Oh, wait, no You can't. Being dead, and all.

Death count: 14

Load Game.

codex_m.jpg
I'm starting to feel slightly more law-abiding today.

up5_Baldr041.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Forget it. You're not taking my belt. You can't even imagine what I've went through to obtain it!

Look out! Gibberlings!

codex_m.jpg
Aaah! What? Where?

Just screwin' with You a bit.

codex_m.jpg
Why don't you try drilling a hole in your head? Maybe that will vent at least part of the dumbfuckery away?

up5_Baldr042.jpg

This guy also objects to The Codex taking his stuff.

codex_m.jpg
Shit!

up5_Baldr043.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I will fuck you up for what you've done to me before!

up5_Baldr044.jpg

It's an epic duel worthy of Dragon Age 2 trailer at least, with both sides taking hits and bleeding all over the place.

up5_Baldr045.jpg

The enforcer wins.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck this shit!

Death count: 15

Reloading.

You know what, Codex, either those flaming fist guys are seriously badass, or you still are an ufledged weakling, despite all the progress.

codex_m.jpg
How's that drilling coming?

up5_Baldr046.jpg

There's a lot containers to loot here, but most of them don't really contain anything of value.

up5_Baldr049.jpg

The second floor.

up5_Baldr050.jpg

For some reason this guy didn't actually give us the pantaloons. The Codex had to steal them after the conversation. Must be a tutu thing.

codex_m.jpg
Tutu! Tutu! Tutu! That's one funny word!

If You're bored, I can arrange some meeting with the flaming fist for You.

codex_m.jpg
Here, I'll lend you a sword. Go, and fuck yourself with it. I'll wait.

up5_Baldr051.jpg

It's a long way from here until we will be able to use this item, if ever.

up5_Baldr052.jpg

Collecting quest notes. Not that we need them, but since we are already here...

up5_Baldr053.jpg

Another one of them chests dares to resist the awesomeness of The Codex.

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

up5_Baldr054.jpg

Finishing up the looting.

up5_Baldr056.jpg

The pantaloons will wait for their turn in our stash.

up5_Baldr061.jpg

We head to the temple of wisdom to resupply.

up5_Baldr062.jpg

I hate paying for these, but I would hate even more being caught without them in the field.

codex_m.jpg
You can say that again.

up5_Baldr063.jpg

A few more interiors to explore here.

up5_Baldr064.jpg

codex_m.jpg
That guy was rude to me, let's steal his shit!

Like we wouldn't do it anyway.

up5_Baldr066.jpg

Joia's house.

up5_Baldr067.jpg

We get a quest involving killing stuff.

codex_m.jpg
My favourite kind by far!

up5_Baldr068.jpg

We embark immediately.

up5_Baldr070.jpg

After a longer than expected walk, we finally ecounter hobgoblins.

codex_m.jpg
Hi, guys. Say hello to bow!

up5_Baldr073.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Kneeshot!

Ok, that's just nasty.

up5_Baldr074.jpg

The second bunch of hobo-goblins.

up5_Baldr079.jpg

They die as easily as the previous ones.

codex_m.jpg
17 damage with a regular, non-critical attack! I rule, baby!

Let's see: 10 (sword) +4 (strength) + 2 (proficiency) + 1 (fighting style) = 17. Yup, that's the maximum damage You can deal with one blow, for now.

up5_Baldr081.jpg

One of hobgoblins had Joia's ring.

But before we return it, let's finish up exploring the area.
up5_Baldr083.jpg

codex_m.jpg
More hobgoblins waiting to die by my hand.

We already have the ring.

codex_m.jpg
I fail to see the supposed relation between these two facts.

up5_Baldr086.jpg

codex_m.jpg
How do you like them arrows?

up5_Baldr087.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Hey, what's that?

What? Where?

codex_m.jpg
There, by the tree.

up5_Baldr089.jpg

Looks like a ring of some sort.

up5_Baldr090.jpg

Not just some ring. That's one badass magical item!

codex_m.jpg
The Codex likes it very much :love: Gimme!

up5_Baldr091.jpg

With the ring equipped, The Codex' magic might actually become useful.

codex_m.jpg
Not a moment to soon, if you ask me.

up5_Baldr092.jpg

We return Joia's ring. Giving it to her is not necessarily the most profitable thing to do, since she can actually be safely killed with no reputation loss and everyone turning hostile (I think she checks out as evil on alignment detection) which nets about 900 XP, if I remember correctly.
She can even be killed after finishing the quest. It just has to be done fast, as she immediataly departs.

codex_m.jpg
Do you want me to kill her, then?

No, that would be too cheap of a move for us.

codex_m.jpg
I wasn't aware that there even existed moves too cheap for us.

We're not alone, You know. They're watching... They're always watching.

up5_Baldr093.jpg

This reputation point will ensure that The Codex only gets good-aligned powers from his dreams (cure light wounds and slow poison).
In retrospect, I should have probably postponed finishing this quest and bump up The Codex' reputation at the temple first. That would save us some gold. It shouldn't matter in the long run.

up5_Baldr094.jpg

Area completed!
-------------------------------------------

Next time: we find no less than two magical weapons!

codex_m.jpg
Oh, that is gooood.

Also: more death.

codex_m.jpg
That is... not so good.

Last edited:

taplonaplo

Scholar
Hah, the ugly fuck didn't get the antidote potions for the spider quest. If you get high pick pocket it might be worth grabbing them.
Also, i fuckin hate quests that want a useful magical item i could use. Especially if i can't steal them right back after turning in.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just noticed one thing: why didnt You dump more points into CON? Instead of WIS for example. All classes benefit from at least 16, and fighters do from 18 and more... Having 15 seems extremely wasteful, either go for amximum or dump it to 10 (since You wont be resurrecting the character anyway).

Well no point in telling this now just wondering...

taplonaplo

Scholar
I guess he counts on the book to raise it to 16 but that is still not optimal for MCs. I'm not sure if non fighter MCs can get +2/+2 with 18 CON, but fighter MC's sure as hell do.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
taplonaplo said:
I guess he counts on the book to raise it to 16 but that is still not optimal for MCs. I'm not sure if non fighter MCs can get +2/+2 with 18 CON, but fighter MC's sure as hell do.

Yes, I wanted CON to reach 16 after reading the manual of bodily health, considering it optimal for F/M/T (it's not). Should have gone with 17 instead. This is probably the largest mistake I've done during character creation.
Oh, well, we should survive BG1 with the crappy CON, and if I decide to do BG2, there's a belt increasing CON to 18 (for 9 hours, once per day).

Screenshots for next update are ready, but I don't yet know when I'll be able to do the writing. The optimistic version is that it will be posted tomorrow at about this time, the pessimistic - around Saturday or even Sunday.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Hieromancer said:
taplonaplo said:
Why not just ctrl y it then? Saves you the trouble of reloading till you get that 1 on his saving roll, and the battle plays out pretty much the same anyway.

If you webspam him while engaged it's clean. If you reload till you get your paralyzation rod to hit him before he's hostile, you are cheap shotting it.

You can also kill him with vampiric touch, he needs like 5 or 6. Use haste and invisibility, use spell, run away from his spells. If necessary sleep to reload the spells.

The Demon Knight on the ground level in Durlags Tower (not the endboss version on the final level) can be killed if you put an Otilukes on him and fist him (buffing your chars with that cleric spell that puts strength to 18/50 helps, too, plus some haste) and when he lies unconscious(1hp left) just attack him with a weapon. He drops a nice helmet.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So 'normal' tactics like summoning a shitload of monsters or spamming fireballs/lightning bolts/arrows dont work?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I think they do, since I've killed him a few times and don't remember doing any punching.

Seriously, why would you punch a demon, that's just weird.
Unless, you're a monk of course.

taplonaplo

Scholar
No, i think he means the first encounter when he throws 2 fireballs and then teleports away. Otiluke's probably for preventing teleport. The fisting part i don't get unless you can damage it while Otiluke's is on him, which you shouldn't be able to.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
taplonaplo said:
No, i think he means the first encounter when he throws 2 fireballs and then teleports away.
Thor Kaufman said:
The Demon Knight on the ground level in Durlags Tower (not the endboss version on the final level).

Sorry, I cannot into reading sometimes.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #6: Day Of The Undead

!-Technical Upgrade-!
Small portrait of The Codex (the one visible on the right side of the screen) will now have different background - that will make it easier for us all to see his wounds.

codex_m.jpg
See my wounds better? You people are all sadisitic fucks!

Right. Before we embark on another epic journey, there's something we forgot to do:
up6_Baldr000.jpg

Back to the Temple of Wisdom.
Note: this screenshot was surprisingly difficult to take, because the priest lady runs like crazy, back and forth (especially with game speed at 60FPS), often hiding in fog of war.

up6_Baldr001.jpg

The Codex shares some of his wealth with the temple.

codex_m.jpg
What? WHY?

Consider it an investment. You may spend a couple of thousand gold at the temple, but that will cut more than 15 000 of the price of Robe of Neutral Archmagi. Not mentioning other items.

codex_m.jpg
I like this plan. Let's donate some more!

up6_Baldr002.jpg

Not wanting to spend all the gold, we stop at +3 reputation for the moment. (I like how the game tries to 'hint' us to go to Nashkel already.)

up6_Baldr003.jpg

That gives us a reasonable 14.

codex_m.jpg
I'm popular now, People will be recognising me on the streets!

Don't count on that too much.

up6_Baldr270.jpg

We head to the area south of High Hedge.

up6_Baldr271.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Why exactly have we come here? What's so special about this place?

Uh, nothing, I guess. It just happens to be the shortest way to our true destination.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, great, filler content. Wake me up when it's over.

up6_Baldr272.jpg

The Codex is not that far from another level up.

up6_Baldr273.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm bored with cave bear being my most triumphant victory. Let's find something stronger to kill!

Finding it is not the problem. We'll have to actually defeat it too.

codex_m.jpg
Ha! Leave that to me!

Oh, I will, don't worry.

up6_Baldr274.jpg

Our search for powerful enemies is quickly confronted by reality.

codex_m.jpg
Are Thalantyr's skeletons migrating south? Is it fall already?

up6_Baldr275.jpg

Skeletons have a nasty 50% resistance to piercing weapons, which means The Codex is rarely able to destroy them with arrows, before they get close.

up6_Baldr279.jpg

Not that it helps them much.

codex_m.jpg
That journey was more tiring than I've realised, let's rest a bit.

Ok.
up6_Baldr280.jpg

We move on after the rest.

up6_Baldr281.jpg

Look, another skeleton.

up6_Baldr282.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Stupid skeleton! If you migrated a bit faster, you wouldn't die now!

Technically...

codex_m.jpg
Don't even start with un-undeadening. You're not half as funny as Merkwürdigliebe.

You hurt my feelings.

codex_m.jpg
I would hurt you much more than that, if you happened to appear within my bow's range.

up6_Baldr284.jpg

Hobgoblins!

up6_Baldr286.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What exactly are those things, anyway?

Not sure. I think they may be half-goblins, half-humans.

codex_m.jpg
Oooh. That's disgusting. Who would want to screw a goblin?

Half-ogres also exist, as do ogrillons, which are half-orcs, half-ogres.

codex_m.jpg
This world in one sick place!

up6_Baldr287.jpg

A wolf!

codex_m.jpg
Exciting...

up6_Baldr288.jpg

Some skeletons decide to crash the party.

up6_Baldr292.jpg

codex_m.jpg
There sure are a lot of them here. Winter must be coming pretty fast this year.

Will you stop with the skeleton migration thing?

codex_m.jpg
Not until I find better explanation.

up6_Baldr293.jpg

Hobgoblins!

codex_m.jpg
No! That's it! I'm bored to tears and refuse to move on unless you make it entertaining!

Calm down. How about I let play with magic a bit?

codex_m.jpg
Hell yeah!

Let's try putting those hobgoblins to sleep, then.

codex_m.jpg
Whatever has to be done to avoid putting me to sleep. Not even mentioning the audience.

up6_Baldr295.jpg

The Codex casts his first combat spell. Truly, a moment worth remembering.

codex_m.jpg
Your mockery shall surely be remembered. And you'll pay for it someday.

up6_Baldr296.jpg

But it seems that hobgoblins have scattered and not one of them was affected.

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

up6_Baldr297.jpg

The Enraged Codex goes all medieval on them.

up6_Baldr299.jpg

codex_m.jpg
This is for spoiling my magical debut, you half-goblin pile of turd!

up6_Baldr300.jpg

Skeletons. Please, don't mention...

codex_m.jpg
Yup, definitely winter must be coming soon.

Yeah, that. THANKS.

up6_Baldr302.jpg

There must be another explanation for all these skeletons here.

codex_m.jpg
Even if there is, we might never discover it.

up6_Baldr304.jpg

Five steps to the north, it turns out this is the Bassilus area. I completely forgot about that guy.

codex_m.jpg
So, it wasn't seasonal migration after all.

We try to reason with Bassilus, but to no avail. No surprise here. This is Baldur's Gate, not Fallout.

up6_Baldr306.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh fuck, that's a lot of enemies.

up6_Baldr307.jpg

Yes, too many for The Codex to handle, it seems.

Death count: 16

Reloading.

up6_Baldr308.jpg

Since I didn't expect Bassilus here, I also didn't save the game right before meeting him. We have to repeat some earlier skull-bashing.

codex_m.jpg
More like skull-slashing. But yeah, it doesn't sound so good.

up6_Baldr309.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ouch! Mother-fucker!

Try not to die, please.

up6_Baldr311.jpg

It's a victory, but we have to use a healing potion.

up6_Baldr312.jpg

After a quick 72-hour rest, we move on.

up6_Baldr313.jpg

We approach Bassilus from another side. No futile talking this time.

up6_Baldr314.jpg

We try to pawn Bassilus with a barrage of arrows, but he manages to cast Rigid Thinking on The Codex. Not too good.

codex_m.jpg
Whoa. What's going on?

up6_Baldr315.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I think... I should go... this way.

The idea itself is not that bad, but a zombie follows. Plus The Codex passes a dread wolf on the way.

up6_Baldr316.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ow. Dude, that wasn't cool...

up6_Baldr317.jpg

Death count: 17

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
That was... weird. Just a single fixed thought in my head. That must be what MMO players feel like.

up6_Baldr325.jpg

I have a new plan how to defeat Bassilus. We'll charm him.

codex_m.jpg
Sounds reasonable... except the part WHERE I HAVE NO ARMOR DURING THE FIGHT.

Oh, don't worry, I will equip you your armour right after you cast the spell, before the actual bashing and slashing begins.

codex_m.jpg
Isn't that, you know, exploiting the game?

Your point being?

codex_m.jpg
Forget I said anything.

up6_Baldr320.jpg

The Codex approaches cautiously and casts Charm as soon as Bassilus is in range.

up6_Baldr321.jpg

Unfortunately, it fails.

codex_m.jpg
Dammit!

Bassilus counters with Rigid Thinking again, but The Codex resists.

codex_m.jpg
Can't fool me twice! Uh, I better retreat a bit.

up6_Baldr322.jpg

Bassilus follows, along with a pet zombie.

codex_m.jpg
I will shoot you in the...
up6_Baldr323.jpg

Bassilus paralyzes The Codex and the zombie starts raping our helpless hero. I wonder howl this wil end.

up6_Baldr324.jpg

Yeah. Surprising.

Death count: 18

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I feel... violated.

Were You aware the whole time?

codex_m.jpg
Yes!

Sucks to be you. Let's try charming Bassilus again.

codex_m.jpg
I don't think I like this plan anymore.

It's the only one we've got. Get to it.

up6_Baldr327.jpg

The Codex once again unleashes his charming personality on Bassilus.

up6_Baldr328.jpg

Again, it doesn't work. Maybe you're just too ugly, Codex?

codex_m.jpg
I hate you so much!

up6_Baldr329.jpg

Bassilus's Rigid Thinking works flawlessly this time, though.

codex_m.jpg
Where am I?

In deep shit.

up6_Baldr331.jpg

Bassilus: 4:0 The Codex

Death count: 19

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
Are you now convinced that this tactics is shit?

No. Let's try it again.

codex_m.jpg
Why would it work this time, if it failed in the previous two attempts!?

You know what they say: three's a charm.

codex_m.jpg
I'll fucking kill you someday!

up6_Baldr332.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Please, let it work this time!

up6_Baldr333.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes!

You can say that it worked like a charm.

codex_m.jpg
I SWEAR TO ALL KNOWN GODS, I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T STOP WITH THE FUCKING PUNS!

Ok, ok, calm down. I promise to restrain myself.

We tell Bassilus to cast entagle right next to him and retreat a bit, coming back a few moments later. We find Bassilus being raped by his own army of darkness.
up6_Baldr334.jpg

codex_m.jpg
His screams of pain and terror are the most wonderful music for my ears.

Let's put him out of his misery.

codex_m.jpg
I thought you'll never ask!

up6_Baldr335.jpg

One arrow in the back does just that. Double good news: not only is Bassilus killed, but also The Codex levels up.

codex_m.jpg
We're doing so good, I'm starting to suspect something fishy.

Gibberlings!

codex_m.jpg
Aah! Whe... You fucker. I'll get you for that someday.

Let's focus on the mopping up.
up6_Baldr336.jpg

A zombie here.

up6_Baldr337.jpg

A skeleton there.

up6_Baldr338.jpg

And another one.

up6_Baldr340.jpg

And another...

up6_Baldr342.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Geez, how many of these things did that goddamn priest raise?

More than a just skeleton crew, it seems.

codex_m.jpg
Read my lips: FUCK. YOU.

up6_Baldr346.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I hope that's the last one.

up6_Baldr347.jpg

Wishful thinking.

up6_Baldr348.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Die, crumble to dust, whatever, just get out of my sight!

up6_Baldr349.jpg

Oh, look, there's one more.

codex_m.jpg
:x

up6_Baldr350.jpg

codex_m.jpg
There! Cleared!

up6_Baldr351.jpg

Nope. Apparently you missed one.

codex_m.jpg
Fuuuuuuck!

up6_Baldr352.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Down! Down! Down! Any fucking more skeletons around?

No, looks like that was really the last one.

codex_m.jpg
Good. I don't want to see another one for a very long time.

I'm sure we won't have to fight them again anytime soon.

up6_Baldr353.jpg

Time for another dual mage/thief level up.

up6_Baldr354.jpg

The Codex is now able to cast level 2 spells. Well, one spell anyway.

codex_m.jpg
I rule, baby!

up6_Baldr355.jpg

Bassilus has topped the cave bear as our most prestigious prey. Also, The Codex' favourite spell is Sleep, for some reason.

codex_m.jpg
I rule, baby!

Yeah, let's rest, so you can regain your spells and identify stuff picked up from Bassilus' corpse.

codex_m.jpg
I rule... 'kay.

up6_xBaldr004.jpg

The Codex' rest is interrupted by skeletons!

codex_m.jpg
To be honest, that looks more like a dread wolf to me.

You must be mistaken. Just read the event description in dialog box.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck you. I can't see the interface and you know it.

Ok, ok. Whatever woke You up, just kill it.

up6_xBaldr005.jpg

codex_m.jpg
No problem!

Wow, You've come a long way since first encounter with dread wolves, haven't you?

codex_m.jpg
Yes. I have.

You know, that one encounter when they tore you to liitle pieces with their jaws and you screamed like a little girl, and...

codex_m.jpg
You are really pushing your luck today, you know?

up6_xBaldr006.jpg

Nothing interrupts The Codex' rest this time.

up6_xBaldr007.jpg

Our first magic item, and already a +2 one. This is a very nice hammer that does at least 5 damage (+ strength bonus and other stuff) with each hit. Unfortunately, The Codex doesn't have proficiency with this kind of weapon, nor does he plan to have it in the future.

codex_m.jpg
What are you trying to say? No Crom Faeyr love for The Codex?

up6_xBaldr008.jpg

And Gauntlets of Fumbling, which will severely bite you in the ass if you try to immediately equip every magical item found (unlike the gender change belt, which is more of a warning not to try this approach) and identify stuff before. It's kind of a lost art too - current games either don't let you equip unidentified items at all (lame), or items' magical abilities don't work until they're identified (lame too, unless explained in-universe), or you immediately know every magical property of every item you find (even more lame).

codex_m.jpg
If you're done with the nostalgia attack, can we move on?

Oh, sorry. Yes, let's go.

up6_xBaldr009.jpg

Look, an opportunity to prove You're really not afraid of dread wolves anymore.

codex_m.jpg
Let me at 'em!

up6_xBaldr011.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Die, foul beasts!

I'm impressed. They haven't even scratched you.

codex_m.jpg
As you should be. I'm just that awesome.

up6_xBaldr012.jpg

A few moments later we find Melicamp - a wizard turned into a chicken after some sort of failed magical experiment (I think the implication is that gauntlets of fumbling had something to do with it).
He won't speak to us until we kill the wolf that's supposedly chasing him.

codex_m.jpg
I don't see any wolves here.

Must've got stuck somewhere around. You know how crappy the Infity Engine pathfinding can be.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, trust me, I know.

up6_xBaldr013.jpg

Ah, there it is.

up6_xBaldr014.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Down you go!

Do you remember that time when a single wolf...

codex_m.jpg
No! And don't remind me!

up6_xBaldr015.jpg

A typical example of 'humorous' dialogue from Baldur's Gate.

codex_m.jpg
I think the hamster line is pretty funny, in the right context.

up6_xBaldr016.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Mmm... delicious, tender meat.

You are not eating Melicamp.

codex_m.jpg
I bet he tastes like chicken.

up6_xBaldr017.jpg

Zombies. You should be safe, Codex. They are only interested in people with brains, I heard.

codex_m.jpg
That joke was so lame that it crossed the event horizon of lameness and is now in another universe.

up6_xBaldr024.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

That wasn't even close to the head, I saw it.

codex_m.jpg
Keep talkin'. Someone might even care someday.

up6_xBaldr025.jpg

Cave bear. We like those, don't we?

codex_m.jpg
Gotta love those slow-moving level-ups!

up6_xBaldr026.jpg

codex_m.jpg
And he's down! Easiest earned XP since... well, the previous cave bear.

up6_xBaldr027.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What kind of weird wolves are those?

Worgs.

codex_m.jpg
What's the exact difference between them and other types of wolves?

Why should I know? Can you just kill them already?

up6_xBaldr029.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sure I can.

up6_xBaldr030.jpg

We meet Zergal (and his two friends). He has simple needs and goes straight to the point. That's kinda respectable.

codex_m.jpg
I'll show them respect by cutting their heads off!

up6_xBaldr031.jpg

Poison! Quick, cure yourself!

up6_xBaldr032.jpg

Well, shit.

Death count: 20

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I'm thinking, maybe I should approach them with more caution.

Let's do that.

up6_xBaldr033.jpg

We stop when seeing the first hobgoblin. He's not the one initiating dialogue, so we are able to back off, and circle around them, looking for a weak spot.

up6_xBaldr034.jpg

Zergal is lured away from his heteresexual (I presume) life peratners.

codex_m.jpg
Yes, yes, com'ere. Uncle Codex has some candy for ya.

up6_xBaldr035.jpg

codex_m.jpg
DIE! DIE! DIE!

You scare me sometimes, you know.

up6_xBaldr036.jpg

Zargal drops a nice sword. We'll identify it later.

codex_m.jpg
Let's kill the others.

up6_xBaldr037.jpg

We approach Geltik.

codex_m.jpg
Seriously, nobody fucking cares what these guy are called. You can stuff it with the names! Just call him goblin hobo #2!

'Geltik' is shorter.

up6_xBaldr038.jpg

Geltik panics after two shots and tries running away. To no avail, but that makes The Codex do a step forward..

up6_xBaldr039.jpg

...and get into Malkax' sight range.

He's the one that shoots poisonous arrows and was the cause od The Codex' death first time. We don't want to engage in an archery duel with him.

codex_m.jpg
Chaaaarge!

up6_xBaldr040.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Crap! Fucking hobo!

Just drink the cure and hold on in there!

up6_xBaldr041.jpg

Yeah...

Death count: 21

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
There must be some way to kill these guys other than charging in and swinging the sword around like fucking crazy Conan The Barbarian on a sugar rush.

You may be right.

up6_xBaldr042.jpg

We approach the edge of hobgoblins' sight range and The Codex casts sleep on their approximate location.

up6_xBaldr043.jpg

It seems to have worked just fine.

codex_m.jpg
Slaughter time!

up6_xBaldr044.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Slaughter!

21 damage with a regular hit? That doesn't seem right.

codex_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha!

up6_xBaldr045.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Die, fucking hobos!

You have one hell lot of negative emotions inside you, you know?

codex_m.jpg
You say that just because I killed those two in their sleep, without any hint of remorse?

No, I say that, because you had such a good time killing them in their sleep, without any hint of remorse.

codex_m.jpg
Oh.

up6_xBaldr046.jpg

A few steps to the north, we encounter some bandits.

up6_xBaldr052.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Luckily, only three of them. Not even that much of a delay.

up6_xBaldr053.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Crap!

up6_xBaldr059.jpg

Apparently the game wants us to die of tediousness here, since after dispatching the bandits, we meet some ghouls no more than 10 feet further.

codex_m.jpg
That's a load of bullshit! Why didn't those ghouls attack the bandits, if they were there all the fucking time? Are they some kind of gourmet ghouls that don't eat bald people?

up6_xBaldr060.jpg

One foul undead is destroyed.

up6_xBaldr061.jpg

But yet another one joins the party. The Codex is wounded and not wanting to be holdpersoned and eaten alive, he employs his Clever Retreat(TM) tactics.

up6_xBaldr062.jpg

up6_xBaldr063.jpg

After some running around, both ghouls are killed.

codex_m.jpg
I'm sick and tired of running from monsters like these. When will I get my ring of freedom of movement?

Yeah, and which of current rings will you give up to wear it?

codex_m.jpg
Well... Shit.

Exactly.

up6_xBaldr064.jpg

A quick 64-hour rest helps The Codex recover from his wounds.

up6_xBaldr065.jpg

Another worg is encountered.

codex_m.jpg
Do we really have to relate every single monster encounter EVER in details?

Of course. If not for that, out noble audience would never be able to experience the tediousness and boredom wonderful sense of adventure of traveling alone by yourself.

up6_xBaldr066.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I think you should let them decide if they want to skip some of the weaker encounters that don't really add anything new.

So they would later ask me why You have 100 experience points more than You should have according to their calculations? Forget It!

up6_xBaldr067.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I don't think you can keep this up. You will run out of comments pretty soon. Already there is a large drop in their quality.

I can always move on to puns.

codex_m.jpg
Let me show you, what happens to you then:
up6_xBaldr068.jpg

codex_m.jpg
THIS!

up6_xBaldr069.jpg

Oh, I'm so aghast of Your threats...

codex_m.jpg
I'm warning you!

up6_xBaldr070.jpg

codex_m.jpg
DON'T PISS ME OFF!

up6_xBaldr071.jpg

This last ghast drops a moderately useful spell scroll. It is also the last enemy in the area.

codex_m.jpg
About fuckin' time.

up6_xBaldr072.jpg

Area completed!

But don't turn off your computers yet, for this is not the end of the update. We still have a chicken to deliver before we finish for today.

up6_xBaldr073.jpg

We travel back to High Hedge.

up6_xBaldr074.jpg

First, we sell some excess stuff. Remember when I mentioned Thalantyr buys almost everything? Here we see, that we can even sell Melicamp to him. Incidentally, this is the only way to direct financial profit from this quest.

codex_m.jpg
I wonder what he would do with it... Mmm... chicken soup.

up6_xBaldr075.jpg

The Codex explains the situation to Thalantyr and is sent on a wild skull chase - Thalantyr needs a human skull to turn Melicamp back.

codex_m.jpg
We need a skull?

Yes.

codex_m.jpg
And where are we going to get it?

There are plenty of skeletons in the area, so we...

codex_m.jpg
Skeletons.

Welll... yes.

codex_m.jpg
Explain me, please. Why the fuck didn't we take a skull from one of the three hundred skeletons I have destroyed today?

Were there any skulls to pick up?

codex_m.jpg
No. There were no skulls.

Well, there's Your answer.

codex_m.jpg
No. That is not an answer. I want... No, I demand to know WHY THERE NO FUCKING SKULLS TO PICK UP!?

Uh, maybe Bassilus bred a special kind of skull-less skeletons?

codex_m.jpg
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Ten minutes of paper-bag breathing later, we embark on a skull hunt.

up6_xBaldr077.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Of course. Normally you can't walk three steps here without tripping over a horde of skeletons trying to kill you, but now, when I'm actually looking for some, I encounter fucking dogs.

I don't think these dogs are fornicating right now.

codex_m.jpg
One more word. I dare you. One. More. Word.

up6_xBaldr085.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Die, bitches!

You didn't have to slaughter them poor dogs like that, we might have taken a different route.

codex_m.jpg
Should have listened to me before. Now, suffer.

You can be a real dick sometimes.

up6_xBaldr086.jpg

We meet some skeletons, eventually.

codex_m.jpg
Remind me never to rescue any more chickens.

up6_xBaldr087.jpg

Our spirits are pretty low, but soon they're lifted - The Codex levels up!

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah! :thumbsup:

up6_xBaldr088.jpg

codex_m.jpg
That's quite enough of fighting skeletons for now, let me just take this skull here and let's go back to Thalantyr's place.

up6_xBaldr089.jpg

The Codex has reached 4th level in fighter class.

up6_xBaldr091.jpg

Slowly, The Codex' HP rises from 'horriabysmal' to 'really bad' level.

codex_m.jpg
And whose fault is that?

up6_xBaldr092.jpg

Bassilus is still our fattest prey. Total number of kills has exceeded 300.

codex_m.jpg
Those Spartans can suck it!

I didn't mean... Ok, whatever.

up6_xBaldr093.jpg

Thalantyr casts Antichickenator (gotta love the name) on Melicamp, essentially reincarnating him as a human. This spell can actually fail, which ends with bits and pieces of Melicamp spreaded all over the place.

codex_m.jpg
I would so much like to see that! Can we load the game and...

No.

up6_xBaldr095.jpg

Completing this quest nets us sweet 2000 XP and a reputation point. Still want to load the game?

codex_m.jpg
Who wants what where? Are you mad or something?

Thought so.

up6_xBaldr096.jpg

The short sword found on goblin hobo's #1 corpse turns out to be a pretty good +2 weapon. It should prove very useful in The Codex' backstabbing activity.

codex_m.jpg
Can't wait to try it. Hey, how about I hide in shadows now, and check how many hitpoints does Thalantyr actually have?

Maybe later.

codex_m.jpg
Promise?

No.

Not wanting to clutter the inventory, we sell the +2 warhammer.

This is still not the end. We have an unfinished bussiness to attend in this area.
up6_xBaldr097.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Well, hello there, stubborn chest. Missed me?

up6_xBaldr098.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah! Who's the bitch now?

up6_xBaldr099.jpg

We find this pretty rare gem inside. It's worth 25 GP.

codex_m.jpg
That's 25 GP closer to my robe of neutral archmagi!

up6_xBaldr100.jpg

We meet some skeletons on the way back...

codex_m.jpg
I'm not even going to comment on that.

up6_xBaldr101.jpg

codex_m.jpg
AND STAY DOWN!

up6_xBaldr102.jpg

We put Bassilus' holy symbol into our stash in FAI, together with Perdue's sword, which The Codex was carrying in case of backstab necessity.

This is still not the end (I know, I know, bear with me just a little longer). We're still onto some revenge:
up6_xBaldr103.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm baaack!

up6_xBaldr104.jpg

This one's a bit more resistant, but is eventually defeated.

codex_m.jpg
Yes! The Codex owns!

up6_xBaldr105.jpg

Unfortunately, when we try to rob the contents, guards are called.

codex_m.jpg
That's fucking bullshit! The guy was asleep! Still is! Who supposedly called the fucking guards?

Being able to live without that chainmail and not wanting to lose our freshly gained reputation, we reload.

codex_m.jpg
I wish you let me kick flaming butts of those guards before reloading.

There'll be opportunities for that later.

up6_xBaldr106.jpg

The second chest is also overcome with enough persistence.

codex_m.jpg
Suck it, chest!

up6_xBaldr107.jpg

Nothing special inside, just another low-priced gem.

codex_m.jpg
That's a little disappointing, but whatever. I kicked those chests' butts!

One last thing to do:
up6_xBaldr108.jpg

We donate some more money at the temple, three times (300+400+500 GP).

codex_m.jpg
That's a lot of gold, but I guess it's for the greater cause - my robe of neutral archmagi!

I somehow knew You didn't mean charity.

up6_xBaldr110.jpg

This raises The Codex' reputation to 18 (already a 30% discount at stores) - maximum that can be achieved through donations. Getting the last two points from quests shouldn't be very hard.

And that (finally) is all for today!
------------------------------------------

Next time: The Codex meets some scantily clad ladies.

codex_m.jpg
Hell yeah!

And they rape him to death, more than once.

codex_m.jpg
HELL YEAH! Wait, what?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!-Important Question-!
I would like to ask You, noble codexer audience, if You would mind a little rehash of The Codex' base stats. I specifically mean moving two points from Wisdom to Constitution, to provide our hero with a few more HP. I was a stupid dumbfuck at character creation, thinking that 16 (15+1) CON is optimal for multiclass fighter. Reality proved that he could really use those two additional points.

Even if You agree, I will not edit the save file in any way. I will just switch the 2nd and 3rd book of wisdom we find with books of constitution. That will still make us suffer through most of the game with crappy HP (gotta pay for mistakes of the youth), as well as ensure some kind of continuity.

If You don't agree - well, life sucks, and we will have to deal with it.

Last edited:

Hieromancer

Educated
Eh, I say go for it. If that little bit will help you continue the LP through to the end (fat chance), then by all means take it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can force talk Bassilus after charming him to find what that was about his father and stuff. I'm sure you know.

taplonaplo

Scholar
The book approach sounds OK. Especially if it makes you go to Durlag sooner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom