Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Level Design

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by MRY, Aug 22, 2016.

1. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    That's a very broad and simplistic diagram, mostly here to show varying degrees of space usage. The Advanced/Expert fluff is here in relation to architecture complexity, not layout. Another thing is that these are just top-down views that don't represent height variations or any of that stuff. It just can't be properly represented on a 2d plane. You can have a level that's very well made layout-wise with lots of vertical action but looks like #2 and then have a super flat level with a complex arrangement of rooms like #4. In this case #2 will be much more interesting than #4 despite a simpler architecture and space arrangement. But hey, who designs vertical levels nowadays in AAA?

#4 here is perhaps the most 'accurate' representation of what a MP level should be from top view:
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Ubisoft does, which is surprising

^ Top  
  3. DosBuster Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

DosBuster
    Codex USB, 2014
    Even Fallout 4 had heavy vertical level design, it's a common thing in AAA.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    Fallout 4's dungeons are actually an improvement over skyrim imo. Skyrim dungeons are the epitome of straight line covered by cheap illusions and easy twist and turn. Skyrim's dungeons are exactly like intestines. They look like they have many turn and twists, but actually, there is only 1 entrance and exit.

Fallout 4 is much better in complexity and natural feel of the place, without making it just a straight line.

That said, both are still shit games.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Skyrim dungeons were typically composed of relatively well designed small sections strung together in a completely linear fashion. Sometimes they would loop around above one another permitting shortcuts and exchange of fire.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Oblivion had best MMO dungeons ever. You follow a single path which eventually leads to the exit :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  7. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator

Can someone explain to me how it is intermediate level to physically build the level and expert level to draw "flow" circles. This looks like an attempt to baffle through oversimplification

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    It's not simply drawing flow circles, it's making the level using these flow circles as a design goal, which the intermediate level doesn't do. And yes, doing that is way harder than it seems. You can make your level with flow circles and stuff rather easily, but if it's randomly done your level will suck. Why do you think Quake or CS players have been playing the same maps over and over again for more than a decade?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
    He doesn't look bad at designing levels based on his website, he's just no good at explaining it

Multiplayer map design is by nature more boring than singleplayer map design anyway, so I think we should redirect the discussion towards singleplayer level design.

And I think level design like a lot of similar disciplines that have a rough blend of science and art, the more you analyse it, the worse your results

^ Top  
  10. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    :necro:

This thread needs more love. Level Design is something not very much talked about (even here), despite being extremely important.

Some cool levels:

Show Spoiler
    Dark Souls

While I don't think most individual locations in DS are good, if we consider it's entire game world as a whole dungeon then we have some cool shit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course there are good levels. The best ones being...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is one of the best because, it was the first area they developed and tested the game in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I kinda wish they had put a puzzle or anther type of mental challenge in this level.

Dark Souls II

This game gets a lot of shit from everyone (specially the fans). Most levels are bad or just forgetable. However mechanically speaking this one is the best of the trilogy, and the levels that are good, are pretty damn good (specially the DLC's that have the best levels in the Soulsborne series).

I could only find maps in Japanese for this one, though.

Forest of Fallen Giants (great first level; good exploration; nice challenges; 2 Bosses)

[​IMG]

No-man's Wharf (it's a dark area with good enemy placement and one of the best bosses of the game IMO)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Lost Bastille

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting area for those who come from No-Man's Warf Ship (the other starting location is from the 2nd Boss of the Forrest of Fallen Giants).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This area has however a problem with Bonfire placement.

Earthen Peak (feels like a proper dungeon, with traps and 2 bosses - the first one being also one of the best in the game)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Gutter (DSII Blighttown, but with better atmosphere - and design IMO)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the DLC's. Starting with the best: Crown of the Sunken King

Shulva, Sanctum City

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dragon's Sanctum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crown of the Old Iron King (most difficult areas in any Soulsborne games)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The biggest problem of the DLC's are these areas that are almost require the player to use Co-Op because they are filled with trash mobs. Fortunately they are optional.

[​IMG]

This DLC has easily one of the best Bosses in the SoulsBorne series. That is Sir Alonne (even tough is concept being pretty much Samurai Artorias).

[​IMG]

It also has what is IMO the hardest Boss in the series. Fume Knight.

[​IMG]

Crown of the Ivory King

Frozen Eleum Loyce

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frigid Outskirts.

[​IMG]

Found this one a few days ago. Love it...

Show Spoiler

Khazad-dûm. Better known as Moria.

[​IMG]

Moria's floors:

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler

Zelda games have some great dungeons with spectacular puzzles as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Majora's Mask Stone Tower Temple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This dungeon also as an excellent Theme:

Shit Zelda games migh have the best Dungeon Themes.

A complete mess...

[​IMG]

(if you look closely you can see that it repeats certain areas)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Brofist x 7
    • Salute x 3
    • Prestigious x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Sums up modern game design conventions entirely: realism obsession, even when it's hardly necessary (i.e multiplayer). Are they completely ignorant of the advantages of abstraction? Do they seriously think every game should have a strong sense of realism? I return to old games specifically because of their embrace of abstraction.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. frajaq Liturgist

frajaq
    If I had to choose a game with good level design that would probably be Dishonored 1, unfortunately part of it is completely ruined by the OP Outsider powers

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Level design has to deal with two different ideas:

Having more than one path.
    Having each of that path mechanically different.

i.e. if you create two paths but going through either of them involves exactly the same shit e.g. killing 10 million aliens or talking through one with a <intimidate check> and other with <persuation check> then the multiple paths have achieved nothing. Deus ex had the right idea. One path was for the talker, other for the fighter and the third for the stealther. Now, that's a good design.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. AscendedFlames Learned

AscendedFlames
    Don't forget that they stretch it and have 3 cutscenes from start, middle and end.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Deus Ex doesn't have such binary level design. Rarely is it just a) combat route or b) stealth route. Even rarer still is a path dedicated to talking. Now Deus Ex: Human Revolution, yes that was very binary. Mostly boiled down to you go the obvious way or you crawl through some vents, but that was shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Now I want to replay Chaos Strikes Back.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    I kind of agree with Vivec, but I think what he said is more of a concern for RPG's.

Since one of the most important features of RPG's is the different number of classes (or roles), these games must be designed with this in mind to allow the players to overcome the game's various obstacules in a way that supports said playstyle (and this is something Deus Ex did right)

Most RPG's only let you play a certain way and that's to kill every obstacule you might encounter. Sometimes they might let you light shealth or talk your way out, but those times are few and far between. And even those different routes most times wield effectivaly the same results as going trough the combat way. Even magic in most rpg's is never more than a fire ball machine gun, few games actually have spells that your meant to use creativily.

While level design can influence this, IMO what really has weight in this, is the overall gameplay systems and mechanics.

Still Vivec, by level design we are talking specifically about the layout, connectivity, the obstacules (and their placement), mental challenges (such as puzzles, riddles, etc) and lastly the aesthetics and atmosphere.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Even in that scenario, the central idea of what I say applies. That each path is different in theme. If one has to be a puzzle and then the other has to be a *different* puzzle or purely combat. If one simply has nodes in the map, then what good is one node compared to the other?

^ Top  
  19. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    System shock 2,Deus ex,Thief games have great level design. Random illogical levels are cool in old school blobers and fps. Good level design heavily depends on the game settings and idea. I always like to see a level shows that people live there. From recent games Kingdom come have great design.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    I like how he starts talking about "FPS Multiplayer level" and ends up with Uncharted 4 and "tells a story" in a MP map in the "EXPERT" level. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Quake III Arena had my favorite maps in any shooter, ever. Then again, I didn't play many.

Seconding fantadomat 's comment about Thief. It feels natural, real, and mazelike because a place (mansion, cemetery, prison) you've never been to SHOULD feel like a maze.

^ Top  
  22. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    I've only played Dark Souls 1 but it definitely has some of the best level design I've ever seen.
    DJOGamer PT pretty much covered it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Dark souls have shitty level design,really can't stand all the fanfaggots. Average action rpg hit their consoles and they loose their mind,and proclaim it best game eva.

• Edgy Edgy x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    Despite being my first Legacy of Kain title, Soul Reaver is the one I've played the least, arguably. I should replay it.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.