Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

Lyre Mors

Arcane
cruel, just use summons when you're beating your head against a wall, dude. You'll have more fun in the long run. I've had to use them for a couple boss fights, and they certainly didn't trivialize said fights. Some of the bosses almost seem designed around it, ala summon spells in Elden Ring.

Speaking of beating your head against a wall, Laxasia has to be one of the most insane boss fights I've ever dealt with in one of these games. Holy shit.

Last edited:

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Patch just dropped.

Update Notes Version 1.2.0.0

Balance Changes
Field Monster Balance Changes
- Decreased the HP of certain field monsters
- Increased the chance of breaking some monsters' stance and the frequency of stagger
- Increased the staggerable window time

Decrease the HP of all 3 types of Dimensional Butterflies

Adjusted the rewards for some monsters
- Increased the drop rate of Moonstone type items
- Decreased the drop rate of Star Fragments
- Increased the drop rate of Ergo items
- Increased the Ergo rewards of certain monsters that appear after Lorenzini Arcade"

Boss Monster Balance Changes
- Decreased the HP of 'Fallen Archbishop Andreus'
- Decreased the HP of 'King of Puppets' in the first phase
- Decreased the HP of 'Simon Manus, Arm of God'
- Decreased the damage of 'Simon Manus, Awakened God'
- Increased the chance to break the stance of 'Simon Manus, Awakened God'"

Increased the Specter's HP and damage

System Changes Related to the Character Progression Reset
- Added the feature to reset the character's level, P-Organ, and Legion Arms at the 'Gold Coin Tree'
- Characters created after this patch will now receive 8 Gold Coin Fruits instead of 5 for their first harvest
- Adjusted the required amount of gold coins to reset the character's level, P-Organ, and Legion Arms

Additional Changes
- Players will now be able to carry more weight for each point spent on Capacity
- Decreased the weight of Amulets that could be purchased with Boss Ergo
- Players will now be able to land attacks better when they use fable arts that consume three or more slots. (includes Fable Arts that stack)
- Successfully performing the Fable Art 'Guard Parry' will now break the monster's stance

New Features
Now supports the DUALSHOCK®4 & DualSense™ controllers on Windows OS devices

Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug with the Legion Arm 'Pandemonium II - Acid Charge' rarely not working properly.
- Fixed a bug that the Legion Arm 'Pandemonium' consumed only Legion guage while using Grindstones
- Fixed a bug that Geppetto's face to flicker in the cutscene after defeating the 'Nameless Puppet' with Graphic Quality Presets - Low
- Fixed a typo of Carlo Collodi in the End Credits. (We sincerely apologize to Mr. Collodi and that was not a lie!)

Known Issues
[PS4 Controller Settings Resetting Issue]
Changes made to controller settings cannot be saved when the [Use X button for Enter] option is disabled. This feature is exclusive to PS4 systems in Asian regions. If you are facing constant resetting of your PS4 controller settings, please follow the instructions below to enable the [Use X button for Enter] option.
PS4 User Guide: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/crossbutton.html To change the key binding for 'Confirm' from the O button to the X button, navigate to [Settings] → [System], and check the [Use X button for Enter] checkbox.

[Inability to Proceed to Chapter 3]
Some players have encountered difficulties in advancing to subsequent chapters due to abnormal actions, such as passing through doors in unconventional ways. To resolve this issue, please follow the instructions below:

Install the latest patch.
Launch the game and activate any Stargazer ability.
Visit the Hotel and interact with Gepetto to trigger a P-Organ cutscene.
Acquire the Krat City Hall Key.

[DUALSHOCK®4 & DualSense™ Controller Display Error on Windows]
If you trigger keyboard input while using the DUALSHOCK®4 & DualSense™ controller on a Windows operating system, the game's input UI may switch to that of a keyboard. In this case, the key binding for 'Menu' will be displayed as 'C', instead of 'ESC'.

The boss nerfs are quite reasonable and much appreciated. I just gave up on the final boss fight a few hours ago because it was so ridiculous. Going to try again, hopefully with improved results!

EDIT: got him first try post patch. Either I was calloused from the beating I was getting from him earlier, or they nerfed him a little too much. Either way, victorious! Such an excellent game. There's definitely a NG+ or two in my future, and I'll be getting any DLC they release. Hopefully they're big ones.

This studio has a bright future in front of them. Let's get an Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan game next! But more than likely it'll be:
Wizard of Oz, as is hinted at after the credits.

Which I'd be more than fine with. Would be cool to see how they handled that setting. Also interested if there's some kind of
multi-verse

thing going on here.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Successfully performing the Fable Art 'Guard Parry' will now break the monster's stance
I don't think there was a need for that. The dmg is big enough reward (at least with the weapon I'm using), the timing of it being different than perfect guard is what fucks with my brain.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This studio has a bright future in front of them. Let's get an Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan game next! But more than likely it'll be:
Wizard of Oz, as is hinted at after the credits.

Which I'd be more than fine with. Would be cool to see how they handled that setting. Also interested if there's some kind of
multi-verse

thing going on here.

I have to admit, that makes me more interested in checking this out. It was always the reimagined fable thing that intrigued me the most about this game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So no parry changes? Huh...most requested thing from the community, from what I've seen and read. Also much more preferable than nerfing bosses' damage and HP. Oh well.

cruel

Cipher
@cruel, just use summons when you're beating your head against a wall, dude. You'll have more fun in the long run. I've had to use them for a couple boss fights, and they certainly didn't trivialize said fights. Some of the bosses almost seem designed around it, ala summon spells in Elden Ring.

Thanks. I thought that summons are a complete EZ mode, trivializing the fight completely - happy to hear it's not the case. Will try few more times and if still no progress, I will use the summon.

BTW, regarding patch notes - Lyric Suite will be angry. Another game that gets a difficulty nerf before he was able to play it :) But, based on what I hear, it was completely justified here.

abija

Prophet
Idk if it was justified... but if he hurries xbox/game pass didn't get the patch yet :D

Btw, while perfect guards are clearly "the way", I'm in chapter X mostly doing good old dodging and spacing (only reapered swamp boss cause bleagh). So if you don't enjoy them, just don't use them. Or use them only for clear moves not the baits/akward timed attacks.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

BTW, regarding patch notes - Lyric Suite will be angry. Another game that gets a difficulty nerf before he was able to play it :) But, based on what I hear, it was completely justified here.

Fucking hell why does this shit keep happening.

Now i'll never know what it was like playing this game on release.

abija

Prophet
The disappointment when boss wields awesome greatsword and your reward is an ouroboros themed chainsaw.

abija

Prophet
Making one of the coolest fights optional seems wierd, at least I got lucky.

cruel

Cipher
Definitely. If I didn't know it's not made by From, I would actually believe it's another game from them. Very high quality, a lot of attention to detail, proper difficulty, different weapons, replayability, great voice acting and atmosphere. And you get a poison swamp and a big rolling ball that can kill you quite early :)

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I watched a friend play this and it's definitely 100% smoother and higher quality than some other recent offerings, including jank like Bleak Faith: Forsaken, which glitched on me within literally 10 minutes.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Regardless of the quality or lack thereof, when it comes to video games, there really needs to be a law that's enforced internationally with brutal violence where the main character of an action game is not allowed to be less manly than me. This is really not a high bar to reach, but this guy in Lies of P - I could very easily rape him if I wanted to and it wouldn't even tire me out. I should never be able to comfortably rape an action hero. Hopefully the devs fix this glaring oversight for their next project and then maybe real gamers like myself will take it seriously.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I watched a friend play this and it's definitely 100% smoother and higher quality than some other recent offerings, including jank like Bleak Faith: Forsaken, which glitched on me within literally 10 minutes.
Afaik there are really only two soulsikes that feel like cheap jank, like something for African markets - Bleak Faith and Hellpoint (didn't play either because of that).

Everything else is relatively high quality, even heavily stylized ones like Ashen.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Hellpoint had some fairly decent level design. I actually liked it, though i didn't finish it.

Ivan

Arcane
So would you guys say this is a step above the usual ghetto Souls clone?
Like Jinn said, this is easily the best Souls influenced title. It has the polish, feel, and precision that other titles lacked for me (e.g. Mortal Shell, The Surge). If you're paying $, it gave me 30+ quality hours of gameplay. It's also on GP if you have access to that.

Ivan

Arcane
Everything else is relatively high quality, even heavily stylized ones like Ashen.
This has actually been on my radar. How would you say Ashen compares to the likes of this, Mortal Shell, Surge, etc?

Machocruz

Arcane
I appreciate that by its omission Nioh 2 is acknowledged as being beyond the ranks of Souls wannabes and stands upon its own mountain:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom