Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

Ivan

Arcane
After being stuck in a fight 2 evenings with a particular group you meet twice in game ( want to avoid spoilers) I feel like I'm getting filtered. :( I simply can't make any sense of that moveset and they just roflstomp me.
try investing in throwables and cheese?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
After being stuck in a fight 2 evenings with a particular group you meet twice in game ( want to avoid spoilers) I feel like I'm getting filtered. :( I simply can't make any sense of that moveset and they just roflstomp me.
Yeah I tried that, I even used a summon two or three times. The adds I have no problem with, it's the big guy that gives me trouble. I always panic when he starts those bullshit combos and he always catches my rolls because my retarded ass keeps panic rolling. Need to try it again with a clearer mind. First bossfight that gives me major problems.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
creativity is dead
Welcome to videogames. Successful games get replicated and their foundations get built upon. There has never been a time this hasn't been true in the history of videogames.

Lies of P has done a great job of creating its own identity through gameplay and setting. There's a lot of creativity to be found in it despite the foundation it's working on being very apparent. And that's ok.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah I tried that, I even used a summon two or three times. The adds I have no problem with, it's the big guy that gives me trouble. I always panic when he starts those bullshit combos and he always catches my rolls because my retarded ass keeps panic rolling. Need to try it again with a clearer mind. First bossfight that gives me major problems.
Pro-tip (all soulslikes): Don't panic roll.

You're welcome!

abija

Prophet
If you play the roll game, double rolling (phase 1 upgrade) towards him a bit to the side works wonders (single needs more precision).

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Pro-tip (all soulslikes): Don't panic roll.

You're welcome!
BRO IM GOT TO THET MOTHERFUCKER

IM MOTILITY AND IM TRYING TO BURN THE MOTHERFUCKER BUT I MIGHT GET THE DOO MACHINES ARM

ALSO BEING LESS DRUNK AND HIGH HELPS I DINT USE MJ WHEN I WANT TO DO GOOD AT A GAME

cruel

Cipher
Is there any consensus on trading Bosses ergo, special weapons vs amulets? I'm leaning toward weapons to try and experiment, but some of those amulets look very helpful, albeit heavy - attack boost on a perfect parry or weapon damage up based on Fable Slots, both sound good. But is it worth it at the cost of missing out the weapons completely? Decisions, decisions...

And bonus question - can you buy Crescent Moonstones later freely? I need to do some upgrades to deal with certain Archbishop, but don't want to mess up further weapon upgrades in the process if those are limited.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yeah you can buy upgrade material later on. I am using a strength build and used the boss weapon of the Archbishop right until the end, it's very good.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THE CLOWN IS A CUNT

BUT KINDA FUN TOO IT MADE MEGO BIG ON THROWABLE SHIT

GOT THE AEGIS AND CHUCKED EL3CTRITY POTIONS AT THE FUCKER

cruel

Cipher
Fuck the mad clown puppet.
That is all.
Quoting this just to confirm. Fuck this guy, random mini boss is harder than 90% of Dark Souls 2 bosses, just wtf.

Still like the game though. Will get him tomorrow.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
How is the exploration/world connectivity in this game? Also which is better, strength or dex builds?

cruel

Cipher
Exploration is very good - I'm constantly rewarded by straying off the beaten path, either by finding handy shortcuts, upgrade materials or quartz. As per world connectivity - not on a first DS level, but still good. The game even gives you a 'Blighttown to Firelink' moment at some point, when your long journey unexpectedly brings you back to the hub area.

Strength builds are probably easier than dex, mainly due to 'guard regain' mechanic tied to weapon type. Big heavy weapons can block much more % of damage received, so you don't need to be great at 'perfect parry'. With lighter dex weapons you get a lot of speed, but loose much more health if you block instead of doing a parry, which makes things more difficult. But this can also vary based on enemy type, faster enemies can be a pain with slow & heavy weapons.

Btw, I like how the game trolls the player in creative ways. Spoilers below regarding one of the main boss fights of the game:

I knew I'm approaching King of Puppets, based on the NPC dialogue. It's clearly a puppet, so I felt strong and confident by equipping a weapon with Electric Blitz, which wrecks puppets nicely. What the game did? Second phase, being TOTALLY different than the first, and whatever weapon you picked in the first won't work that well on the second. And not enough time to change between weapons between phases :)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yeah the places you visit are somewhat interconnected, but the game is VERY linear. I don't see this as a negative after Elden Ring burned me out so much, but your mileage may vary.

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Dark Souls wasn't linear.
And what burned you out in Elden Ring was the open world, not its non-linearity.

All these souls-likes devs think that shortcuts were all there was to Dark Souls' world design.
Well, I've got news for you, faggots...

cruel

Cipher
The game even gives you a 'Blighttown to Firelink' moment at some point
You mean Undead Parish to Firelink.

I meant going back to Firelink after you visited Blighttown, so to be precise: Blighttown -> Valley of Drakes -> part of New Londo -> Firelink Shrine. The journey in Lies of P doesn't hit as much, but it's very clear they did their homework.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I meant going back to Firelink after you visited Blighttown, so to be precise: Blighttown -> Valley of Drakes -> part of New Londo -> Firelink Shrine. The journey in Lies of P doesn't hit as hurt, but it's very clear they did their homework.
That's...not the famous a-ha! DS1 moment people usually refer to but ok.

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron

I meant going back to Firelink after you visited Blighttown, so to be precise: Blighttown -> Valley of Drakes -> part of New Londo -> Firelink Shrine. The journey in Lies of P doesn't hit as hurt, but it's very clear they did their homework.
That's...not the famous a-ha! DS1 moment people usually refer to but ok.
Yeah, it's better than that.

Unfortunately devs are as retarded as you seem to be. Shortcut -> wow.
The interconnectedness, which is the real star, goes over your head.
But the lantern gimmick makes up for that, right?

Sorry fools.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I went ahead and bought it using the refund money from nuLords of the Fallen, and already I'm enjoying it a lot more. Only just got past the first boss and to Hotel Krat, but it seems very solid so far.

My only problem with these Soulslikes that have a fixed protagonist is it feels kind of lame doing different builds on successive playthroughs, because you're still just the same guy as before. It's more fun to build your own character and make someone completely different to be your STR/DEX/Magic guy. But it's a minor complaint, the game is very enjoyable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom