Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I just unlocked the weapon crafting tool, and damn, what a cool idea. I turned my rapier into an electroshock rod thing.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Well guys, this is pretty dang embarrassing, but I kept seeing people and even having people in my own life insisting that this game is not trash. Now, I was playing Lords of the Fallen so I was in a certain gaming mood and it just needs some time for them to patch out all the retardation and I was told that they already patched the retardation out of this one.

The main character is a big, big problem, I don’t know what they were thinking making you play as a little girl. I found myself getting real upset at her haircut. When waiting on a dialogue to finish and moving the camera around, I would try to find an angle that would allow me to make sense of this haircut but to no avail. Had to keep restarting dialogues because I couldn’t pay attention to a single word the npc was saying to me. Probably the very worst, shittiest special-ed haircut I’ve ever seen in my entire life.

The thing is, this lame ass character doesn’t ever talk, so you only must bear with the shittiness of it for a few painful hours until you unlock a mask to place over its head. After that, you never have to see this little homo’s face again and you can pretend it’s a bloodborne character and the game is good again. And really, everything except the main character is pretty good. Not Dark Souls good, but pretty good. Well, the writing is a little… foreign... and the Pinocchio stuff is pretty cringe. But still.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And really, everything except the main character is pretty good. Not Dark Souls good, but pretty good.
How's the level design, is it as boring linear as people say or not that bad?
Linear with small side areas
Then I suppose the combat makes up for the unbearable fixed PC and linear areas? Because what else is there to make it "pretty good"?

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Combat, atmosphere, fun bosses, cool setting. Character building can still be fun despite the fairly narrow avenues it provides. The weapon assembly system is pretty brilliant. Exploration is lacking, but still has some charming moments, and gets the job done through the end. Really hope they give it more attention in their next game, which I'll likely be getting regardless.

It's good, cvv, trust me.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
And really, everything except the main character is pretty good. Not Dark Souls good, but pretty good.
How's the level design, is it as boring linear as people say or not that bad?
Linear with small side areas
Then I suppose the combat makes up for the unbearable fixed PC and linear areas? Because what else is there to make it "pretty good"?
It's pretty good like The Surge was and keep in mind the kind and quality of games getting released nowadays when I say pretty good.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Also, does anyone speak Korean and can tell me what the fuck they translated "P - organ" from?

eyebrows-adventure-time.gif

abija

Prophet
Also, does anyone speak Korean and can tell me what the fuck they translated "P - organ" from?
Blood organ apparently, but it's more like a pun (blood in korean sounds like pi). P - organ is correct, the organ powering P.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Blood organ apparently, but it's more like a pun (blood in korean sounds like pi). P - organ is correct, the organ powering P.
That makes sense, my blood organ powers my P when I'm using a toilet.

cruel

Cipher
I'm surprised how great of a job they did in this game with weapon variety and their usefulness. I've started with a rapier, switched to shock mace, later swapped it with Booster Glaive and now Dancer Handle + Bonesaw Blade. And there are 2 more weapons I like and strongly consider switching to: Trident and Puppet Ripper. Each one of those is completely different and unique in some way, just asking to be played with & tested. And I don't even mention weapons with some elemental effects on them.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I started this game and having fun! It feels like a budget Bloodborne so gets no complaints from me.
This was the first time I wanted to try controller playing a Soulslike game on PC but bloody fucker is broken and not working properly. So back to my beloved K&M.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
A few people have mentioned the clown enemy in this game. I agree, the clown features every single thing that I loathe in an enemy:

-He is happy and gloating all the time when I’m trying to battle him

-He has poise even though I don’t get to have poise (I miss poise, it was my favorite stat in dark souls :mad: )

-All his attacks outrange mine

-He has 99999999999999 hp or thereabouts

-He is located in an area with a bunch of wimpy mook enemies that need to be cleared out before engaging

-Just like every enemy in this game, his attacks are all the mega annoying type where they hold their hand up menacingly for between 1 second to 20 minutes, then suddenly release and complete the hit at lightspeed. This is especially annoying because when someone approaches you off-balance with their arms in the air, you want to stab them repeatedly in their exposed chest, but they have poise so they’ll just eat your damage and stunlock you.

Now, a lesser man might look at this and say to himself “I guess it’s time to buckle down and die to this clown until I win fair and square” but that, in my opinion, is a loser mentality. I decided that this clown wasn’t going to kill me ever again. I will never be reduced to counting Mississippi in my head to time all these fake-out combos.

My first try, I used hit and run tactics and threw what consumables I had available, but he had too much hp for that to work. I had to retreat.

Second attempt I ran past and found a bonfire right behind him. Fucking Koreans. Unfortunately, he followed me, so I wasn’t allowed to use it. After a brief struggle I realized that I was going to die and ran around in circles Benny Hill style until I got enough distance to quit out of the game. He reset upon loading and I was able to get the bonfire.

Now I was *really* pissed. Steam was coming out of my ears. Killing the clown wouldn’t be enough, I had to send a message as warning to future clowns. I went to the creepy weirdo merchant and bought the max amount of every throwing weapon that he had available. I then loaded up my hot bar, ran up to the staircase behind the clown and began throwing random shit at him while retreating. I threw every item I was able to carry and he *still* had some health leftover. Unfortunately for him, my last shotput made his stars twinkle so I was able to shove a spear all the way up his cellulitic clown ass.

Ahhh, a flawless victory with a fatality at the end. I bet the clown is down in hell right now telling everyone that I was a bullshit enemy.

TLDR:

Imagine the zombies are giant robot clowns, that’s how it went down

cruel

Cipher
I was able to beat him legit by 'git gut' process, but it took 20 tries and included switching back to Shock Mace and taking advantage of the fable art. Of course, using the bonfire behind him was necessary in order to keep my sanity.

Few things that really help with him:
- his long-range attack (ball throw) is actually pretty easy to parry
- there is a clear telegraph before he tries to slam you with his belly, easy to punish
- it's a good idea to keep medium / low distance from him: enough for him to start his spinning attack, but miss first 3 out of 5 spins; another punish possible with only 2 parries instead of 5
- his posture is actually breakable if you're aggressive enough
- he is not so bad after scare factor goes away (and you stop getting annoyed with him laughing at you ofc)
- electric blitz works nicely

He was definitely annoying as fuck, but at the same time, a very memorable encounter and part of what's making the game good. Even when I finish this, I will remember him slowly going down the alley and grinning at you, plus all my frustration associated with finding him.

cruel

Cipher
Okay, Green Monster. Can I safely assume this is one of the worst boss fights of the game and shouldn't feel bad about using a summon?

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Okay, Green Monster. Can I safely assume this is one of the worst boss fights of the game and shouldn't feel bad about using a summon?

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
It is indeed one of the hardest fights in the game. Maybe third hardest for me.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Ok I beat this and it really pissed me off a lot with its elden ring style boss encounters and they could have stood to remove a couple of chapters because it dragged on too long but it wasn't too bad.

My strategy for success:
-Pump health points, then stamina, then capacity until you can use all the best stuff without being heavy.
-Trade a boss soul for the amulet that lets you dodge red attacks asap
-Get the trident too
-Unlock extra throwing weapons, extra belt slots, extra wish stone uses
-Unlock refill legion automatically and refill legion on kill. Oh, and resist status effects too.
-Use the shield and upgrade it once so you can poke with the shield up. Other upgrades for it are useless.
-Parrying is a scam to get you to waste your time and attention

Any annoying enemies in the level, hold your shield up, walk forwards and mash r1. You can also parry with it if you want by holding it up and mashing l1. If that doesn't work, retreat and start hucking trash at it. The AI has a leash and will allow you to throw things at it without retaliating when returning to its starting point. Heh, retards.

Bosses let you have a mimic tear and the items to summon it drop constantly, I had 99 at the end of the game. With the wish stone upgrades you can heal it 3 times in a fight and you can carry enough flavored cocktails and construction implements that you can usually avoid standing toe to toe as only a fool would do. With this strategy and some old-fashioned adventuring knowhow, I barely ever died. Now, I've made the land of Pinocchio my bitch and I'll probably never play this game again in my life. :3.5/5:

cruel

Cipher
Director's letter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCnjeUilhU

Summary:
- confirmed 1 million copies sold
- DLC in the works (sketches shown at 7:00)
- sequel confirmed
- big patch coming in November: tweaking least-used weapons & handles, more quartz in the beginning, rising dodge available as a default, fashion adjustments
- soundtrack with 60 tracks will be released

Ivan

Arcane
Director's letter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCnjeUilhU

Summary:
- confirmed 1 million copies sold
- DLC in the works (sketches shown at 7:00)
- sequel confirmed
- big patch coming in November: tweaking least-used weapons & handles, more quartz in the beginning, rising dodge available as a default, fashion adjustments
- soundtrack with 60 tracks will be released
Don't know how to embed video? Let me help ya there. It's quite charming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom