Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Just 100% this without save-scumming, which means I played through 3 times to get all endings. My thoughts:

Good stuff:
  • People say that this is a Souls-like, but it's really much more of a From-like. Most Souls-likes try to do something original, but Lies of P apes more than just the central mechanics of Souls-likes. It apes everything in a From game in almost fetishistic detail: sounds, gestures, quests, objects in the environment....fucking everything. This would be bad if it were a bad game, as it's not terribly original, but it's actually really great. Apart from some limited and linear level-design, this genuinely feels like a From Soft game, so if that's what you want, that's what you'll get.
  • The combat is a nice mix of Sekiro and Dark Souls, although without the absolute demand that you parry in the same way that Sekiro does. Parrying will make your life waaaaaaay easier if you master it, but you can probably do 85% of the game without it. I was a dodger for most of NG and then got good and parried for NG+ and NG++.
  • Bosses are awesome and the difficulty curve of the game is perfect. I don't think I died at all up until the Green Monster Swamp Boss thing mid-game, at which point, I was like, "Oh, this is the get good moment." The game has a nice mix of monstrosities, humans, and the in-between, and the final 3 bosses are all brilliant.
  • Story and world are actually great. I can't think of a Souls-like in a really long time where I paid attention to what was going on.
  • It's also the first soulslike in a really long time where consumables don't seem like an afterthought.
Some bad stuff:
  • The stat system is very odd and almost meaningless in the end. Damage and stamina stats are severely soft-capped at level 30 or so, to the point that there's not a lot of reason to keep raising anything beyond that. However, capacity isn't at all, and ends up stealth being the best stat in the game (I raised it to 100 by the end to wear the heaviest NG++ armor and rings).
  • Despite (or because of) the above, it's really, really, easy to grind out levels in this game. You can get everything you need to 40 or 50 in about 3 hours of grinding in NG as unlike most From Games, the soul requirement doesn't increase steeply in NG between levels.
  • Level design is linear, as has been said, although the levels are very well done despite this.
  • The summoning mechanic is really boring as it's just a generic spirit.
  • The secret fruit tree shit was kind of dumb too. It was a very elaborate thing you had to pay attention to, but with little payoff.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS MOSTLY ADFREE WITH BRO ABOVE

I THOUGDFT THAT ALL THE FLAWS WERE WIRTH THE NEW STUFF

BROS I WAS USIND HEAVY STAMINA BUILDS IN DS GAMES SO MAXING CAPACITY WAS A GIVEN BUT YOUR RIGHT OTHER STATUS ARE HIT AND MISS

FRUIT TREES MEAN FUN TO WALK RUGER PRETTY HOTEL

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BTW BROS IM SKYWAYS I MIGHT PLAY THIS SHIT SEVEN TIMES

FINISHED TREE TIMES BIT ONLY NG++ NOWONE MORE TRY FOR LAST CHEEVO

cruel

Cipher
  • The secret fruit tree shit was kind of dumb too. It was a very elaborate thing you had to pay attention to, but with little payoff.

I'm pretty sure they were planning something completely different with the Golden Tree, but changed direction somehow and left it in a different / inferior form. The effort vs reward ratio is clearly off here, especially considering how well different parts of the game were designed.

cruel

Cipher
Denuvo was removed from Lies of P today (following them accidentally releasing the Denuvo-free executable) for anyone that was waiting for that before buying.
https://steamdb.info/app/1627720/history/
Finally.

I'll wait until it's under 20 bucks tho, which seems about right for a game like this.

This is one of the few games that's fully worth the full price of $60. It may be a while before it goes under $20, but $40 is doable during the sale.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Denuvo was removed from Lies of P today (following them accidentally releasing the Denuvo-free executable) for anyone that was waiting for that before buying.
Finally.

I'll wait until it's under 20 bucks tho, which seems about right for a game like this.

This is one of the few games that's fully worth the full price of $60. It may be a while before it goes under $20, but $40 is doable during the sale.
Nah. It's overrated and kind of dull. I really don't get the amount of love it receives.

cruel

Cipher
Finally.

Nah. It's overrated and kind of dull. I really don't get the amount of love it receives.

If fighting Laxasia or Nameless is dull, then I don't know how to label 'wolves fight in packs' or 'goblins hate fire' :)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally.

If fighting Laxasia or Nameless is dull, then I don't know how to label 'wolves fight in packs' or 'goblins hate fire' :)

Different genres and... HOW DARE YOU!?

But anyway, I'll admit that I bounced off the game before those fights. I was bored to tears and felt it was a waste of my time even if there are true gems later on.

I played it on a Game Pass trial and tried to give it a fair shake before giving up on it due to boredom.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Finally.

Agreed, finally tried it and so far it feels like a kinda cheap Sekiro/DS knock-off. It's not exactly bad or anything (CLANGING is simply fun) but it has absolutely nothing on its ""inspirations"". Level design sucks, not digging the flavour, dumb handholdy shit etc.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Agreed, finally tried it and so far it feels like a kinda cheap Sekiro/DS knock-off. It's not exactly bad or anything (CLANGING is simply fun) but it has absolutely nothing on it's ""inspirations"". Level design sucks, not digging the flavour, dumb handholdy shit etc.
Last year the hype around this game was so unreal there were videos claiming it's just as good as Bloodborne and the only soulslike that can rival FromSoft.

I'm still baffled where was this coming from. I guess it's the trans protagonist and the clockwork punk vibe, which is a fad among zoomers and soy people nowadays? Dunno.

I mean I play and enjoy most soulslikes but saying any of them can rival FromSoft? There are WAY better games than Lies of P, like Nioh 2, and even then it's a stretch. Denuvo and this uncritical, irrational adoration was what kept me from playing it so far. But I'll get to it soon.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I guess it's the trans protagonist and the clockwork punk vibe
That might just be it since outside of that the game seems pretty mediocre so far. CLANGING is fun either way, not saying I'm not having fun, but pretending it's more than a competent From garage coverband? Nuh-uh.

There are WAY better games than Lies of P, like Nioh 2, and even then it's a stretch.

I think Nioh 2 is weird comparison, it shares only a passing resemblance to From Software games. How would you even compare it as a whole? Presentation and level design? Yeah From Software has it beat in that regard. But when it comes to the core of Nioh 2, the combat, it absolutely wipes the floor with any From game as far as I'm concerned. And I certainly had way more fun with it than I ever did with Dark Souls III and Elden Ring combined. Already have stupid amount of hours in it and will eventually come back for more, after I'm done with Stranger of Paradise and Wo Long.

I'll have to try Lies of P too. From what I've seen of it combat seemed enjoyable enough and I'm a combatfag mostly, so it might work for me. Though obviously I don't see any way it could be as good as NIoh 2 in that regard.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
And I certainly had way more fun with it than I ever did with Dark Souls III and Elden Ring combined.
Like you said bad comparison, DS/ER are LARPies, Nioh is straight up character action with looting instead of jumps lol.

From what I've seen of it combat seemed enjoyable enough and I'm a combatfag mostly, so it might work for me.
Don't expect anything like Nioh, the combat is firmly in between Sekiro/DS and probably Bloodborne.

And I certainly had way more fun with it than I ever did with Dark Souls III and Elden Ring combined.
Like you said bad comparison, DS/ER are LARPies, Nioh is straight up character action with looting instead of jumps lol.

Yeah but I can definitely compare the amount of fun I had. Not implying this is how everyone else should feel, obviously.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are WAY better games than Lies of P, like Nioh 2, and even then it's a stretch.

I think Nioh 2 is weird comparison

My personal definition of a soulslike is p. broad so I put Nioh in that big bag too. For other people only games with "Souls" in the name are true soulslikes, which excludes even BB or Sekiro. Whatever floats anyone's boat I guess.

And yeah, I had a thousand times more fun with Nioh 1/2 than with DS3. Still not sure what to think about Elden Ring. I hated the open world and the obnoxious length but I do have almost 200 hours in it, meaning I did enjoy it.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I think at least one problem with ER is people overdosing on it, more so than the open world (which you can traverse very fucking fast anyway),I know it was for me. When everything starts to look and feel the same after 60 hours it's time to take an extended break.

Anonona

Learned
While the game encourages parries, it does have a certain degree of freedom when it comes to playstyles. Dodging, although initially being kinda of bad, once you gain some skills and get the time timing down becomes not only a very good option, but sometimes the better choice to deal with certain bosses or attacks, as it may allow you to punish the boss while it is doing its long chain of attacks. There is even a ring that allows you to dodge red attacks. https://liesofp.wiki.fextralife.com/Ghost+Walk+Amulet.

Theoretically you could even play relaying on hyperarmor. The weapon selection and customization is actually pretty decent. What it lacks in quantity it makes up in quality, specially the bosses weapons. Not only because of their unique special skills (kind of Lies of P take on Ashes of War), but certain weapons have very unique properties like attacks with guard points, unique movements options, weapon transformation and more.

And yeah, I had a thousand times more fun with Nioh 1/2 than with DS3. Still not sure what to think about Elden Ring. I hated the open world and the obnoxious length but I do have almost 200 hours in it, meaning I did enjoy it.

I have 140 hours in it and I had a legit good time for maybe 30 of those. It's just from one playthrough, plus few hours of couple of failed attempts to replay it. Figured maybe I just approached it wrong the first time and I will finally manage to feel the greatness so many other people feel. Nope, still tedious boring shit. I actually think replaying DS III would be less tedious for me at this point. At least it would less time wasting.

You tried Thymesia?

Playing it now, feels like poor man's Sekiro with Nioh mission structure. Still, lot's of clang (more like cling) to be had. It's a budget indie but I'm having a lot of fun tbh.

No and I doubt I will get around to it, the only Sekiro inspired game I really want to play is Wo Long, after I'm done with Stranger of Paradise. More games in action genre than I'm willing to spend time on lately.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom