Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of The Best VR Games

I've never used a VR set save for a cheap Android phone VR unit my sister had and a crappy Shark Tank sim, so is this "vorpX" stuff basically non-VR games made to look VR by making them fully 3D with a 360 degree FOV using a VR set?

Yes, and it's an extremely garbage experience. Don't even bother with it, it's not worth the money they want for it.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I've never used a VR set save for a cheap Android phone VR unit my sister had and a crappy Shark Tank sim, so is this "vorpX" stuff basically non-VR games made to look VR by making them fully 3D with a 360 degree FOV using a VR set?

Yes, and it's an extremely garbage experience. Don't even bother with it, it's not worth the money they want for it.

SomeGuyWithAnOpinion

Username checks out...

giphy.gif

Poseidon00

Arcane
Honorable mentions:

Morrowind VR - Works only for openmw. I haven't played it that much to add to my top but seems very fun. Def. makes it more immersive, mwse scripting doesn't work with openmw sadly so you can't use amazing mods like Ashfall.

Are you playing with free hand controls, and if so, how do you do that? I play Morrowind VR through VorpX and it looks and plays just fine but free hand controls > everything else

Poseidon00

Arcane

And the end of the day this is how I feel about VorpX. There are some novelty experiences you can have in non-VR games, sure. But VR is more than just a field of view and none of these games feel particularly fun to play using a headset with basically a standard controller.

Fargus

Arcane
Honorable mentions:

Morrowind VR - Works only for openmw. I haven't played it that much to add to my top but seems very fun. Def. makes it more immersive, mwse scripting doesn't work with openmw sadly so you can't use amazing mods like Ashfall.

Are you playing with free hand controls, and if so, how do you do that? I play Morrowind VR through VorpX and it looks and plays just fine but free hand controls > everything else

Hi! A mod i use is a VR mod for Morrowind's OpenMW with proper handtracking for attacks and actions. VorpX is not needed.

https://openmw-vr.readthedocs.io/en/latest/manuals/installation/install-openmw-vr.html

ind33d

Educated
The comment about immersive sims benefitting from VR is dead-on. The tech is so good that once HMDs are affordable, Deus Ex and Dishonored and Thief become mass-market AAA titles

NwNgger

Educated
The comment about immersive sims benefitting from VR is dead-on. The tech is so good that once HMDs are affordable, Deus Ex and Dishonored and Thief become mass-market AAA titles
Yes. Immersive Sims benefit from players thinking outside the box. If you can physically pick up any object without animations or controls to stop you it instantly broadens your options and you can react realistically to a situation as opposed to having your intent translated by a control input that then goes through whatever the devs have decided can be picked up.

Yes. Immersive Sims benefit from players thinking outside the box. If you can physically pick up any object without animations or controls to stop you it instantly broadens your options and you can react realistically to a situation as opposed to having your intent translated by a control input that then goes through whatever the devs have decided can be picked up.
I've said it before and I will say it here. Immersive Sims are the future of VR gaming. The design of immersive sims go hand in hand with the interactivity VR provides.

ind33d

Educated
Is there a VR mod for the FEAR games yet, that seems like a good match

Sibelius

Novice
Is there a VR mod for the FEAR games yet, that seems like a good match

Nigger, i wish...

Only need the first FEAR and maybe Extraction Point in VR. Don't care about the rest.
I completed FEAR in VorpX (and flat screen back when it came out). It doesn't have motion controls obviously, but you'll be surprised how natural the 'gun face' method of aiming feels. I mean, you need to look where you are aiming anyway, just use motion controllers and hold you arms out and it feels pretty good.

Sibelius

Novice
Has anyone tried out Grimlord? It's an early access VR title, that purports to be a fully fledged dark fantasy RPG, this is the blurb on Steam....

Grimlord is not a battle arena, Grimlord is not limited to hack and slash. From the lowest of beginnings, fight your way out. Your fighting style is unrestricted, your crafting options are limitless, and your enemies are versatile and fierce. Your future and the future of this land lie in your hands.
This is a story-driven, classic action RPG that is native to VR interactions.
This is what’s been missing for so long.
This is Grimlord.

Despite the claim of not being a battle arena, any screenshots or footage I have seen (aside from a few brief NPC interactions) screams otherwise. Can anyone confirm if this is any good? Cheers.

deama

Prophet
Has anyone so far attempted or seen someone attempt a full on VR stadium experience?
I really want to get into VR, but I don't want to without doing it properly for me. The way I was thinking is building a giant stadium about 500m2, get a high end VR headset that's also light (one got recently released I believe), and then make it wireless and add in those motion interpreter posts or what they called.

But not sure on the experience with that, if it'd be any good, can't really find anyone that actually did something like that, everyone these days just seems to have barely any space for anything.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Has anyone so far attempted or seen someone attempt a full on VR stadium experience?
I really want to get into VR, but I don't want to without doing it properly for me. The way I was thinking is building a giant stadium about 500m2, get a high end VR headset that's also light (one got recently released I believe), and then make it wireless and add in those motion interpreter posts or what they called.

But not sure on the experience with that, if it'd be any good, can't really find anyone that actually did something like that, everyone these days just seems to have barely any space for anything.

Just get used to joystick movement. It becomes very natural after your brain clicked with it.

I always stick to headset oriented movement, no vignette, smooth turning. Didnt have motion sickness in ages.

Its just an adoption phase. Unfortunately it manages to scare off new users which is the reason VR struggles to enter mainstream for now.

deama

Prophet
Just get used to joystick movement. It becomes very natural after your brain clicked with it.

I always stick to headset oriented movement, no vignette, smooth turning. Didnt have motion sickness in ages.

Its just an adoption phase. Unfortunately it manages to scare off new users which is the reason VR struggles to enter mainstream for now.
Yeah but I don't see the point in VR unless you can properly move with it.
Sure it's more immersive than a screen, but I'd rather go all the way then half way and then regret it after a week.

I tried it out at a friends place for a few hours and whilst it was interesting, the urge to just run was too great, I would just be too pissed that I wouldn't be able to do that.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Sure it's more immersive than a screen, but I'd rather go all the way then half way and then regret it after a week.

I tried it out at a friends place for a few hours and whilst it was interesting, the urge to just run was too great, I would just be too pissed that I wouldn't be able to do that.

If you got about 5 grand you don't need, you can run until your heart is content.

https://www.virtuix.com/

deama

Prophet

If you got about 5 grand you don't need, you can run until your heart is content.

https://www.virtuix.com/
I seen reviews of that, apparently it's a bit iffy, especially if you want to do more crazy stuff, nevermind actually dodging away from things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom