Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Jaesun said:
OP said:
Ultima 4, Ultima 6

What in the fuck is this bullshit?

Should read:

Ultima IV, Ultima V, Ultima VI, Ultima VII - The Black Gate, Ultima VII - Serpent Isle.

thisisanoutrage.jpg
I never played U5 and U7.2. This will be changed one day. Speaking of U7, I think I can add it to my list, I now in Moonglow and like it so far in spite of chaotic combat.

@MMXI
Do it. I made my list mostly because threads "recommend me some game" was popping left and right and I'm starting to develop blister on my fingertips typing same titles.
And, BTW, why sort by date? It's not like you have more KKKs for playing more ancient games. Always wanted to slightly sort it by subgenres, though. Maybe I'll make it tomorrow.

MMXI

Arcane
Well, this is for RPGs. So if I were to sort by genre it would be subgenres of RPGs. To me that kind of implies I'll be including shit like action RPGs. No thanks.

:smug:

Seriously, I want to do this. Problem is I'm not sure if the likes of Jaesun agrees. However, I will start my own thread just like I planned, and perhaps create multiple indexes for subgenres too (blob crawler, tactical, single character real-time etc). If it works then hopefully it gets made a sticky or something to replace this. If it tanks then I've wasted my fucking time.

:rpgcodex:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MMXI said:
Well, this is for RPGs. So if I were to sort by genre it would be subgenres of RPGs. To me that kind of implies I'll be including shit like action RPGs. No thanks.

:smug:

Seriously, I want to do this. Problem is I'm not sure if the likes of Jaesun agrees. However, I will start my own thread just like I planned, and perhaps create multiple indexes for subgenres too (blob crawler, tactical, single character real-time etc). If it works then hopefully it gets made a sticky or something to replace this. If it tanks then I've wasted my fucking time.

Did this ever happen? I tried searching but didn't find anything after about 30 seconds, so I gave up. I'd like to see an list organized list of games to check out. It's too tedious to go through the items in various posts one-by-one and look at the Wikipedia article to get some idea of what it is and when it came out.

MMXI

Arcane
Dickie said:
Did this ever happen? I tried searching but didn't find anything after about 30 seconds, so I gave up. I'd like to see an list organized list of games to check out. It's too tedious to go through the items in various posts one-by-one and look at the Wikipedia article to get some idea of what it is and when it came out.
Yes. http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60723

It's not dead by any means. I'm just too busy programming my RPG at weekends at the moment. It's already better than this list in my opinion, and it's nowhere near finished. And I haven't abandoned it.

Cassidy

Arcane
Realms of Arkania 1 and 2. One of the first CRPGs with isometric turn based combat instead of blob-based combat, while still having the same complexities and challenges of other CRPGs of the time, and a complex survival system that includes diseases, lightning being important and other factors.

As a whole they are better than Drakensang and Drakensang: The River of Time, which are based on the same setting. Only issue is that the first one's interface is a bit crude, and the lack of unique 2d art for different types of buildings can be somewhat disorientating when navigating a city for the first time in the game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Added 2 new resources on the first post, link to MMXI's thread as well as a link to Bruticis' cRPG master list.

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
This needs to be sticked, maybe with a topic changed to : "Before you post anything on The Codex, finish at least 20% of those".

It could prevent a lot of misconceptions about cRPGs I have seen in this forum. When I found out about Codexia I thought that the Fallout 1-2 were the best games ever, but the twitch combat that started to dominate about 2004-7 suddenly made me stop playing games at all. I wish I knew earlier that all "modern crpgs" I played during last decade were already a decline in genre long before the introduction of fucking QTE.
So almost a year passed since my discovery, during which I devoted myself solely to the SSI's Gold Box games.

And for that awesome year I thank thee, o Codex.

tundra

Novice
ok, since my topic was sent to a place where noone wants to be, ill write the same thing in here..
Havent played computer games for a while now and somehow thought that i should start again with a decent rpg.
When younger i think i have tried most of the Black Isle series (like Icewind Dale, Baldurs gate, Fallout, Neverwinter Nights 1/2), Morrowind, Gothic 1/2. But now id like to start fresh. What could you recommend that is not too hard to get the hang of it, the story is gripping and overall would make me stay with RPG's?

zeitgeist

Magister
If you want to compile a truly educational list, it should be in form of an article focused on helping readers understand various RPG-related elements, how they were done in specific games, which games did them best, and what they evolved from (and devolved to later on). You know, stuff along the lines of "to see proper turn-based tactical party combat play JA2, to see a decently realized persistent online gameworld play/read about UO and/or SWG".

I see this as valuable because, outside of the Codex (and often on Codex itself), there are all these discussions and arguments stemming purely from participants not being informed enough about such things - suggesting lite versions of features that have already been done better in games they never even heard about, supporting concepts that have already proven to be poor, and so on.

I'm probably too naive and idealistic, but in theory efforts like these could show people what was better, when it was better, and why it was better, so that they can demand better in the present and in the future. Or, if nothing else, at least add some healthy cynicism and bitterness to their outlook, through better understanding of cultural decline.

MMXI

Arcane
If you want to compile a truly educational list, it should be in form of an article focused on helping readers understand various RPG-related elements, how they were done in specific games, which games did them best, and what they evolved from (and devolved to later on). You know, stuff along the lines of "to see proper turn-based tactical party combat play JA2, to see a decently realized persistent online gameworld play/read about UO and/or SWG".

I see this as valuable because, outside of the Codex (and often on Codex itself), there are all these discussions and arguments stemming purely from participants not being informed enough about such things - suggesting lite versions of features that have already been done better in games they never even heard about, supporting concepts that have already proven to be poor, and so on.

I'm probably too naive and idealistic, but in theory efforts like these could show people what was better, when it was better, and why it was better, so that they can demand better in the present and in the future. Or, if nothing else, at least add some healthy cynicism and bitterness to their outlook, through better understanding of cultural decline.
I don't like the idea of telling people what's best. You end up with lots of sheep going around saying they know a thing or two about cRPGs just because they've played the Codex's "holy trinity". It also discourages people from trying out games that aren't often mentioned, which itself hinders the unearthing of hidden gems. Let people find out what the best is themselves. If they have to go through 100 cRPGs to arrive at the conclusion that Planescape: Torment actually isn't one of the best cRPGs ever made then that can only be a good thing, because then that person may start promoting a more obscure game instead.

That's kind of the purpose of my list. It lists games that I consider decent and fun to play, even if a lot of people will find them shitty and old and go back to their precious Skyrim after an hour or two. But hey, if one person tries Demon's Winter as a result and enjoys it enough to start up a thread on the forum about it then it's a job well done in my view. No need to tell people that Fallout and Planescape: Torment are the only worthwhile games to play.

gloomy

Educated
Sup, guys! How about Albion, Anachronox and Darklands? Pretty nice, uh?

To the OP: would you mind going into what you like about sCthangband? What differentiates it from other variants or, more broadly, roguelikes in general? Other than the setting, that is. There are no proper reviews and hardly any impressions for it on the internet, and I'm not well-versed enough in the genre to really say.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anybody mentioned The Void?
You mean Tension The Void? It's an awesome game, but hardly a cRPG. More like adventure/action/horror. Even Pathologic was more cRPG (and I mean it wasn't), because you had an inventory, but apart from that it was, again, adventure-action game. They are awesome and I loved them, however I wouldn't include them on this list. It could be included in "Must Play Non-cRPG List"... I think we need to start it though.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
To the OP: would you mind going into what you like about sCthangband? What differentiates it from other variants or, more broadly, roguelikes in general? Other than the setting, that is. There are no proper reviews and hardly any impressions for it on the internet, and I'm not well-versed enough in the genre to really say.
Hm. I played it many years ago, so my memory is fuzzy, but it was interesting *band. It has pretty curious skill system with many magic skills, afair every spell belonged to one of four schools of magic and to one of four "forms" of magic or something. There is "hedge magic" skill too, basically using several special items to cast utility spells. Skill progression was use-based, but every dungeon had limit to how much skills were raised. So, you can't raise any skill more than 30% in first dungeons and so on. Game had overland map, that was cool. I can't remember anything more.
And I liked setting, of course.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You mean Tension The Void? It's an awesome game, but hardly a cRPG. More like adventure/action/horror.

It's a dating sim first, everything else later, imho. There's also some economics included... ...damn, what a weird game.

Hegel

Arcane
I love that game (Tension: The Void) it offers the correct mix of weird and fucked up.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
System Shock 1/2?

Also, I think Dark Souls should be added. As it's the only recent, seminal game to give us a punishing "dungeon crawler."

joeydohn

Savant
Are they're any games that are universally agreed on here or do you just prefer trolling each other?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom