Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm:

You must have done that on purpose.

Micmu

Magister
A good blast from the past! :)
So their doomed social experiment lasted for almost 4 years. That's commendable.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Its no wonder why their social apps like the Dragon Age one died. Players could only do about 5 minutes worth of stuff a day unless they paid $5 for some in game currency. So $5 a day to play a shitty social app..... ya, no one could have foresaw that kind of price structure crumbling.

Angthoron

Arcane
Still better than IGN or Polygon

So shit is fine since you once tasted diarrhea?
I rememeber reading some fine articles on Kotaku. Pile of crap + few gems lying next to it is still better than pure pile of crap. Just don't step aside or you might get dirty.
Which is exactly why bros don't link bros Kotaku articles. Bros copypaste 'em. True bros emphasize the best parts, too.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You never should inflict unwanted "necessities" on anyone. You can copypaste the text, that will be enough.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer

I rememeber reading some fine articles on Kotaku. Pile of crap + few gems lying next to it is still better than pure pile of crap. Just don't step aside or you might get dirty.
Which is exactly why bros don't link bros Kotaku articles. Bros copypaste 'em. True bros emphasize the best parts, too.
Hand-holding? Casual surfing? Here on 'dex? Pussies!

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, this is why everyone should lick shit to know it's shit, because it's hardcore and non-hand-holding.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Hand-holding? Casual surfing? Here on 'dex? Pussies!

I'd like to make a joke about 2012 members, but I really can't since I'm 2011 myself. :|

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-03-kabam-exec-calls-ea-layoffs-darwinism-at-work

Kabam exec calls EA layoffs "Darwinism at work"

Andrew Sheppard says publisher caught in disruption, likens it to brick-and-mortar busts like Borders and Blockbuster

Last month, Electronic Arts laid off a reported 1,000 employees in the latest attempt to turn the publisher's fortunes around. In a guest editorial on VentureBeat today, Kabam president Andrew Sheppard called it "industry Darwinism," a sign of a changing business leaving the old ways behind.

An ex-EA employee himself, Sheppard expressed his condolences to those affected.

"But you can't stop evolution," Sheppard said. "Console game companies are standing on the same ground as others that were disrupted before them. Borders was shuttered by Amazon, Blockbuster buried by Netflix, and Encyclopedia Britannica withered by Wikipedia. When consumers get something faster and cheaper via the Internet, disruption occurs, and the companies that don't evolve quickly inevitably decline."

Sheppard said there's a wave of disruption hitting the industry right now, one that favors free-to-play and mobile devices over boxed retail products and consoles.

"Consumers, of course, have the final say," Sheppard said. "They're voting with not only their pocketbooks but their bags as well. Free-to-play has taught consumers they don't need to shell out $60 for a game before they even try it. Free-to-play has changed how we pay for our entertainment. Mobile devices have changed how we play our games. Together, they're an unbeatable foe for the venerable console games industry."

Naturally, those are two areas Kabam focuses on. It operates 20 browser-based free-to-play titles, including Wartune and Kingdoms of Camelot. Additionally, it has more than a dozen offerings on iOS and Android devices, such as the multiplatform efforts Book of Heroes and The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth. Last year, the firm brought in revenues of $180 million.

EA - Gaming. Evolved.

Yeah, imagine that, a completely new method by which we can demotry a game before spending $60 dollars on it. I'm so glad we have such an innovative industry!

"OH AND BY THE WAY although my opinion is objective and insightful, it just so happens the company I run operates on exactly this strategy with its games! Come give them a try! They're free!"

Great thread btw

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, imagine that, a completely new method by which we can demotry a game before spending $60 dollars on it. I'm so glad we have such an innovative industry!

"OH AND BY THE WAY although my opinion is objective and insightful, it just so happens the company I run operates on exactly this strategy with its games! Come give them a try! They're free!"

Great thread btw
EA is, as usual, way ahead of their competition.
We no longer even need to try their games for free to know that they are shit - customer's time is precious, after all.
:martini:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
So, new sims game with some new gameplay elements sans the tons of content from previous versions' expansions. Great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom