Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by aweigh, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Zerth Savant

Zerth
    I was aware that wizardry is practically the big granddaddy of jrpgs. However by playing wizardry 1, I realized how much Megaten took after it.

The pattern of layout design is quite similar, the traps, the enemy's swarms.... even the multi target spells use the same damn prefix "ma-". e.g. mahalito in wizardry vs maragi in smt.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Sometimes i wonder why the odd names in the original but ultima started weird naming as well. Might & Magic had the whole gem angle and Bardstale also had some weird names with a lot of spells named after some famous mage.

^ Top  
  3. TigerKnee Arcane

TigerKnee
    It's part of the copy protection I believe where games were much easily copied than manuals etc. Most pirates were too lazy to provide all the additional details by transcribing it back then so not having the spell names from the manual would make the game pretty unplayable.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Hengki Kusuma Adi Learned

Hengki Kusuma Adi
    59studio's Wizardry Gaiden: Five Ordeals will getting a new rerelease at Steam
    EDIT

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • incline incline x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!

If I remember right, Five Ordeals should also include the campaign from Wizardry Gaiden: The Prisoners Of The Battles. Hopefully this means that Five Ordeals (and PotB) get officially localized into English! We can only hope.

PotB is very playable in Japanese (I played through most of it without any issues), but Five Ordeals has a lot of puzzle-like events and "riddles" that were basically impossible for me to bungle through without knowing what was being said, so I gave up on playing it.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    And yet Busin 0 remains unknown to the west, even though it's the most soulful of them all.

Kinda sad that not even YouTube knows of its existance.

Well, at least you will be able to experience it in about two months yourselves.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Yeah! That's a damn nice looking PS2 Wizardry game. I need to hit up the wizardry fan pages and see which games weren't translated.

On a side note, was there a PnP wizardry game?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Twizman Learned

Twizman
    Prisoners of the Battles with possible English localization is delightful news! Such a beautiful game.

^ Top  
  9. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    You can start playing Forsaken Lands for PS2. It's a very rough around the edges, but a hidden gem nontheless, unless you play it in normal speed, then it just becomes straight torture. Might also warm you up for its sequel, which is Busin 0 (which is a straight upgrade in every aspect).

Shackleton
    Incredible music, art style, beautiful 3d environments, great gameplay.
    It easily tops EVERY japanese Wizardry game out there.

^ Top  
  10. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Can't play too many japanese wizardries in a row. I'm too old for this shit. Same with Elminage. Too much grimdark. Every quest is "lol, everyone is ded"

^ Top  
  11. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, I know Busin 0. My 'citation needed' referred more to
    I'd have gone for 'cautiously optimistic' if that was a button, but I'm too cynical to get hyped until I see the actual translation released.

^ Top  
  12. Zerth Savant

Zerth
    [​IMG]
    Everything is mad hungry in Werdna's maze. Poor high level spellcaster can't think clearly with an empty stomach.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Anyone up for a Succubus Symposium?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. matogl0396 Educated

matogl0396
    • Brofist x 6
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Since it looks like I won't be getting a PS5 until next Christmas, I have decided to download RPGs I've never played before onto my PS3. I just started Wizardry: Labyrinth of Souls and had my entire party wiped out when the RNG gods decided to be cruel and throw a random encounter my way that was way tougher than my soft, fleshy characters could handle. Lesson learned.

So I created a new party, went in and fought a couple of battles, left to heal at the inn and accept some quests, returned, rinsed and repeated. I focused on levelling up, finding better equipment, and staying close to the entrance until I reached level 4. Now my level 5/6 party is curb stomping the enemy and I'm considering grinding for another level and then switch everyone's character classes once more. This will bring everyone back down to level 1, but with heightened hit points, mana points, and spells. Then I can start getting serious and wrecking shit and really doing some dungeon deliving. I'm having a lot of fun. Fuck the PS5 rollout.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ysaye Savant

Ysaye
    Umm you do realise that Labyrinth of Souls is available on PC (Steam or GoG) now?

^ Top  
  17. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah... and...?

Edit: I felt like playing on a console and giving me desktop computer (and my injured shoulder) a bit of a break. Here are some other PSN store games on the PS3 that I haven't played and I might try after this...

Front Mission 3
    Persona 3
    Persona 4
    Phantasy Star 4 (actually part of a SEGA CD pack I already own for PS3)

I might try Elminage: Gothic and Bard's Tale from GOG since they have controller support, which would be easier on my shoulder right now. Unfortunately, that means I can't play Grimoire until I heal up.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ChaDargo Learned

ChaDargo
    ^ Top  
  20. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo

The last good game of the Wizardry series.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    So I'm playing through Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls and here are some random notes:

- Supposedly this is the last official Wizardry game that ever got an English release. I'm playing it on my PS3.
    - It reminds me a lot of Wizardry 1 through 3, but with anime characters and graphics. I think the rules are almost exactly the same when it comes to items, classes, spells.
    - The lack of perma-death really does make the game easier and less stressful. There are plenty of enemies that can still one-shot kill your party members, however.
    - I do like the automap feature, but moving inventory along to different party members is painful. The UI could use an upgrade.
    - I finished the first few levels of the trials dungeon, and I can't go further unless I purchase the DLC (which I'm not going to do).
    - There is a second dungeon in the game where the main quest occurs, and I'm ripping through the first few levels with ease so far. I think I over-leveled myself in the trials dungeon.
    - I had trouble identifying items, but then I read bishops can ID dungeon items. So I have a 7th party member that I sometimes pick up, level up at the temple, and then ID the items I bring back from the dungeon. Once that's done, I switch back to my normal 6 party members. Bishops can get mentally ill if they fail ID checks too often, so when that happens I take the bishop to the first level of the trials dungeon and walk a few steps until the bishop recovers. It's an exploit to get around paying the shopkeeper to ID items.
    - I started with an evil party to get some practice in and so that I could have a ninja. After being merciful in a few random encounters, the ninja turned neutral in alignment, and I created a good party with the ninja in it.
    - My characters are now between 13th and 15th level. I have two samurais, one ninja, one priest, and two mages. I am thinking of switching most of the party over to new character classes once I have another handful of levels. My two samurais will be turned to lords (retaining their arcane magic), my two mages will convert to bishops (again, retaining arcane magic), my priest will convert to a mage (keeping priestly magic), but I think I'll keep my ninja as she is so she can keep disarming traps and backstabbing tough opponents. If I put some time in, I may be able to beat this game in another week of play.

The game is.... alright. It scratches the Wizardry itch, but it stays quite true to the originals in both good (simple, challenging) and bad (the UI) ways.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Thac0 JRPG ambassador Patron

Thac0
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Matador Arcane

Matador
    In the meantime here is my humble translation for PS2 Prisoners of the battle.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...of-the-battles-map.113152/page-2#post-6137092

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Finally beat Wizardry: LoLS. In the end I had the following:

2 Samurais that converted into 2 Lords... ended the game at level 29.
    2 Mages that converted into 2 Bishops... ended the game at Level 30.
    1 Ninja that never converted and ended up as at level 32 or 33, I think.
    1 Priest that converted into a Mage and ended up at level 28.

So I screwed this party up in some ways and ended up doing well in others. First, I thought I would need a decent blend of offense and defense at the end game, and so I was kicking myself a bit for not starting with 2 Lords and converting them into 2 Samurais. The Samurais get to attack a whole group of enemies, while Lords have the ability to throw a Shield up and protect the party. But in actuality, defense is superior at the final levels of the game. A lot of the final enemies hit hard and have plenty of hit points, and the final battle consists of only one opponent. And the final level of the dungeon has tons of enemies with level drain attacks or one hit kill attacks, so it is better to have solid defense and whittle the enemy health down through longer fights. In hindsight, starting with Samurais was a good move since their group attacks are handy in the middle of the game. Since Bishops have a powerfu party-wide shielding ability, I would have been better off converting my priest into a 3rd Bishop, which would have allowed one or both of my Lords to be the ones on the offensive.

I beat the final battle by having three of my four lords and bishops go all-defensive, while my ninja worked her backstab ability and my second bishop and mage let loose with arcane magic or healed when needed. I still needed to cast two wish spells and reload a half dozen of times to defeat the final encounter. Beating the boss resulted in my party being brought to the surface for the end game dialogue, but you can keep adventuring afterwards. Again, there isn't too much to the game and I'm glad that I am done with it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Matador Arcane

Matador
    I have an itch again for some dungeon crawling. What would you recommend, Dark Spire or Etrian Oddissey? In which case which EO game is the best?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.