Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lossless scaling

newtmonkey

Arcane
anvi
Yes it can, it's the first thing I tried after buying it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks! Just bought it but it isn't compatible with Win7 :( I could refund but I'll just keep it because it was so cheap and I'll go to Win10 eventually. There have been a few games in the past few years I wished I could use this on!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Intel has adopted integer scaling. If FAGMD and NGREEDIA follow suit this program will be obsolete. Amazing this shit wasn't implemented years ago.

Syl

Cipher
Wow, this guy invented multiplication. Just give him a Nobel Prize already!

At least, retards gave him money.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just bought this. Certainly cheap enough. Will be using it primarily for games with a 1280 X 720 resolution (or something similar) to be displayed on my Vizio 43" television at 1920 x 1080. Hope it works out. I wonder if it'll also work on something like Crusader Kings 2 or Stellaris at 1280x720 on 1920x1080. If I set these games at 1920x1080 within game, the fonts and other screen elements are far too small at couch distance. Thanks for steering me towards this topic from my other post yesterday.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I doubt it's doing anything you couldn't do with Reshade or other processing apps, but if you'd rather pay $2 than fuck with it yourself have at it. I'd rather the blur than the processing, personally, but everyone's different.

Syl

Cipher
Just bought this. Certainly cheap enough. Will be using it primarily for games with a 1280 X 720 resolution (or something similar) to be displayed on my Vizio 43" television at 1920 x 1080. Hope it works out. I wonder if it'll also work on something like Crusader Kings 2 or Stellaris at 1280x720 on 1920x1080. If I set these games at 1920x1080 within game, the fonts and other screen elements are far too small at couch distance. Thanks for steering me towards this topic from my other post yesterday.
I will try to explain what this program does, but first I have to introduce a very complex mathematical concept called multiplication, to be more precise multiplication by 2. Multiplying a number by 2 is the same thing as adding the number with itself. Example: 10 x 2 = 10 + 10 = 20.
I hope I didn't lose anybody at this point.

In your case, 1280 x 2 = 2560 and 720 x 2 = 1440. So unless your TV supports the 2560x1440 resolution, this program will do nothing.

If that is not the case, there is another solution, but I have to introduce an even more complex and obscure mathematical concept called division... ok, you get it.

1920/2 = 960 and 1080/2 = 540. If you can set your game resolution to 960x540, the program will be able to display it on your TV. The result will likely be inferior than 1280x720, maybe not.

How else are you gonna get it? It is like $2 at the moment.
"This program does Integer Scaling, it's great!"
"It only works on Windows 10, it's new!"
"It's only $2, it's cheap!"

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah but how else do you do it? This thing works and is so easy and simple. The Win10 thing would bother me if I wasn't already getting kicked off win7 in 5 months. :<

passerby

Arcane

Congratulations, this program is useless in this specifc case.
If you had 4k display you could upscale 3x for a perfect match, but from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 you can't even upscale to something close with black borders, if you do 2x, display, or drivers will have downscale and blur anyway, pointless.
With 1920x1080 display it's good only for old 640x480 games to upscale 2x and display with black borders, or to 4x/5x dosbox games, if dosbox still doesn't have higher than 3x integer scaller build in.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Congratulations, this program is useless in this specifc case.
If you had 4k display you could upscale 3x for a perfect match, but from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 you can't even upscale to something close with black borders, if you do 2x, display, or drivers will have downscale and blur anyway, pointless.
With 1920x1080 display it's good only for old 640x480 games to upscale 2x and display with black borders, or to 4x/5x dosbox games, if dosbox still doesn't have higher than 3x integer scaller build in.

Then I'll play Fallout 1 again in all its original 640X480 glory. None of this high resolution mod I-Can-See-For Miles-&-Miles shit.

Citizen

Then I'll play Fallout 1 again in all its original 640X480 glory. None of this high resolution mod I-Can-See-For Miles-&-Miles shit.

HD mod support custom resolutions and x2/x3 scaling, so the best way to play is to make it 850X480, multiply x2 and stretch on screen. You would have all the best stuff: widescreen resolution + original scale instead of super zoomed out + a bit blurry look because of stretching (better that pixel-perfect look for CRT-era games, IMO)

passerby

Arcane
HD mod support custom resolutions and x2/x3 scaling, so the best way to play is to make it 850X480, multiply x2 and stretch on screen. You would have all the best stuff: widescreen resolution + original scale instead of super zoomed out + a bit blurry look because of stretching (better that pixel-perfect look for CRT-era games, IMO)

Why not 960 x 540 /x2 and no stretching at all ? I've played Red Alert this way, with a patch that allows custom res, it was great.

Last edited:

Citizen

Why not 960 x 540 /x2 and no stretching at all ? I've played that way Red Alert with a patch that allow custom res, it was great.

It's better if you want a crisp pixel-perfect look, but I prefer prefer a bit more blurry for fallouts/arcanum/ja2 and other similar looking games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom