Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Never heard of Clonk tbh. 1994 eh? 8 games spread out up to openclonk now (2008 was supposedly the end). Clonk 3 might not have english translation.
The games are all freeware. I'm surprised gog hasn't gobbled em up. That's suck for openclonk.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I bought a copy of Clonk Rage in 2008. I was on a support indies binge at the time.
RedWolf Design GmbH
Matthes Bender
300152409e Clonk Rage 1 AUD 27.02 0.00%1) AUD 0.00 AUD 27.02
Delivery date: 30-JUN-2008

Luzur

Good Sir
Well i dunno if already brought up here, but there is Dink Smallwood, Magic Candle series, Major Stryker (and other Apogee games), Galdregons Domain, Wizards Crown, Phantasie, Questron, Rings of Zilfin, Demons Winter, Ishar series, Knightmare etc etc

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wizards Crown

Everyone always forgets to mention the sequel, The Eternal Dagger. It only came out on the Apple II, Atari 8-bit platform, and C64 which is probably why most people don't remember it, but it's improved over original quite a bit.

Luzur

Good Sir
And if we go into Commodore:

Legend of Blacksilver
Sentinel Worlds
Lords of Midnight
Telengard
Legacy of the Ancients
Times of Lore
Dragon Wars
Knights of Legend
Space Rogue/Pirate (?)
Temple of Apshai
Buck Rogers
Moebuis (Mobeius?)
Standing Stones
Gates of Dawn
Autoduel
Ormus Saga
Wrath of Denethor
Deathlord
Realms of Darkness
Shard of Spring
Sword of Aragorn
Master of Magic
Bruce Lee
Alternate Reality

just from memory, and thats not to mention all the Amiga games

Ladonna

Arcane
Moebuis (Mobeius?)
Moebius, predecessor of Windwalker I'm quite fond of. I think it's best on the PC, though.

I still have the Windwalker box here. It included a little booklet on "Oriental wisdom" called I-Ching, the book of change, lol. Origin were something else. I had fun playing through Windwalker, even though the CRPG Addict shat on the game.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I had fun playing through Windwalker, even though the CRPG Addict shat on the game.
I find many of the CRPG Addicts ratings a bit similar to an RNG roll, to be honest. Sure, everybody has different tastes, but quite often he doesn't properly research the games and picks the shittiest port at random (as he did for Times of Lore). That doesn't really do the games justice.

I also think he's quite jaded about games already. It's not quite normal to play so many games at such an inhuman rate, I'm sure it alters your perception significantly. It's like listening to new albums ALL THE TIME. It just doesn't work; after a while you can't enjoy any of them, regardless of whether they're good or bad. You need to give things time to let them properly sink in.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I played space rogue on my friends macintosh. I never knew a b/w computer existed or with such crispness. It was odd but space rogue held my interest. I guess it was space rogue. I mean, the game was top down perspective.

And if we go into Commodore:

Legend of Blacksilver
Sentinel Worlds
Lords of Midnight
Telengard
Legacy of the Ancients
Times of Lore
Dragon Wars
Knights of Legend
Space Rogue/Pirate (?)
Temple of Apshai
***Buck Rogers. Which one?***
Moebuis (Mobeius?)
Standing Stones
Gates of Dawn
Autoduel
Ormus Saga
Wrath of Denethor
Deathlord
Realms of Darkness
Shard of Spring
Sword of Aragorn
Master of Magic
Bruce Lee
Alternate Reality
Games i never got to play strike

Which Buck Rogers?

But speaking of space figures, what about Flash Gordon or as I played it: CAPTAIN ZAPP

The jungle reminded me of Axe of Rage aka Barbarian II.

Had to change out the vid. Annoying music wasn't part of gameplay while killing shit.

Last edited:

Radiane

Cipher
Yes, it's truly sad that so many games, many of which were obviously created with much passion, seem to simply get lost over the years, as if they never existed. I spent a lot of time playing C64 games, (on emulator) and there are definitely pieces of really precious art among the games. Played a lot of Beachhead, Raid over Moscow... (there was this knives-throwing scenario in Beachhead which I also played together (or against) with a friend, truly fun times, not fair at all that those games get forgotten)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Amiga was sparsely better graphically. It had sound and disk swap scene.

Anyway... more Captain Zapp

And yeah the music is the same for gordon or zapp

These type if games brings up... <sigh>
Heroes of the lance...

I didn't remember it being that horrid but god... ok amiga:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah c64

I don't know why they used that rainboe design in that vid. Makes me think spectrum computer but it isn't, this is:

And nes: (which wantedcl more arcadish with music.. :/ )

The sega master system looked a little better than nes. Again music....

Last the msx2 since i couldn't find fm-towns:

I suppose any of those could have been made into proper action rpgs before the metroidvania craze but no. And some don't view metroidvanias as much more than a distraction sub-rpg tbh.

Last edited:

Ladonna

Arcane
Every game i put on the list i have boxed and complete, except for Moebius, Wrath of denethor (RARE) and Ormus saga.

I am guessing you bought many of them later?

I only have the original C64 boxes of games my brother and I managed to get back in the day. Most of the bits and pieces are still there.

I have Lord's of Midnight, Ultima V, Ultima VI (yeah, C64 version, lol), Knights of Legend, Windwalker, Magic Candle, Deathlord album cover, Wasteland album cover, Legacy of the Ancients plastic case, Questron II plastic case, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Secret of the Silver Blades, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Bard's Tale compilation, Dragon Wars, A giant gold collection box that contained Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, War of the Lance, Hillsfar, and those two Dragonlance action games, (I played PoR and Curse via copies before getting this), Buck Rogers CtD, Demons Winter plastic case, Shard of Spring plastic case...and I think that's it for the C64 RPG's.

Everything else was copies with borrowed or printed manuals.

Plenty of Amiga game boxes, and PC stuff as well.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was stupid and wore my Mobius headband all the time. It faded, got sweaty and dirty. Dunno where it is now. I did not gain enlightenment. Yeah, don't wear that shit at school.. lol. Good times sorta.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Every game i put on the list i have boxed and complete, except for Moebius, Wrath of denethor (RARE) and Ormus saga.

I only have the original C64 boxes of games my brother and I managed to get back in the day. Most of the bits and pieces are still there.

I have Lord's of Midnight, Ultima V, Ultima VI (yeah, C64 version, lol), Knights of Legend, Windwalker, Magic Candle, Deathlord album cover, Wasteland album cover, Legacy of the Ancients plastic case, Questron II plastic case, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Secret of the Silver Blades, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Bard's Tale compilation, Dragon Wars, A giant gold collection box that contained Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, War of the Lance, Hillsfar, and those two Dragonlance action games, (I played PoR and Curse via copies before getting this), Buck Rogers CtD, Demons Winter plastic case, Shard of Spring plastic case...and I think that's it for the C64 RPG's.

I had a couple of C64 cassette games released only on the Hungarian market—that was before we found the sources for cracked copies with my dad (Budapest flea market, then mail-correspondence with the most prestigious Hungarian C64 swapper ever, Jean/FBI Crew and later Chromance). Then much later I won the PC game Nomad on some pixel art competition were I was pretty much the only contestant, lol.

That's it, I've mostly only seen boxed games on photos most of my life.

We did hear stories of mythical places West from us where people (even kids!) could simply walk into stores and buy *original games* with manuals, posters, and whatnot. It just sounded like pure fantasy to me—too good to be true :cool:

Ladonna

Arcane
I had a couple of C64 cassette games released only on the Hungarian market—that was before we found the sources for cracked copies with my dad (Budapest flea market, then mail-correspondence with the most prestigious Hungarian C64 swapper ever, Jean/FBI Crew and later Chromance). Then much later I won the PC game Nomad on some pixel art competition were I was pretty much the only contestant, lol.

That's it, I've mostly only seen boxed games on photos most of my life...

Luckily, my parents emigrated from Hungary in time for us kids to enjoy the decadent western fruits of the C64 era.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I find many of the CRPG Addict's ratings a bit similar to an RNG roll, to be honest. Sure, everybody has different tastes, but quite often he doesn't properly research the games and picks the shittiest port at random (as he did for Times of Lore). That doesn't really do the games justice.
Chet the "CRPG Addict" rates everything according to a formula in which the gold standard is set by Baldur's Gate and Skyrim, so it shouldn't be a surprise that his ratings often bear little resemblance to the actual quality of a CRPG. :M

Luzur

Good Sir

i would say roughly.....dunno, 10% of my entire collection is later bought, back in my C64/Amiga days i mostly pirated discs (which i have several boxes of), rarely bought any due to economics

IMG-1255.jpg

IMG-1256.jpg

DSC-0104.jpg

DSC-0105.jpg

DSC-0106.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom