Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    B

^ Top  
  2. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I'll vote C.

^ Top  
  3. Ifeex Scholar

Ifeex
  4. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  5. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    B

That was not at all what I
    expected. This is odd situation with village and ninja master. I think we need more info, we may have already alerted them to invasion force.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    This is just a really, really bad situation: the orthodoxes were expecting to raid an island full of dirty pirates under the cover of darkness, not at all expecting a hard target. This camp, as it turns out, is a freaking fortified village, with traps outside of it and a ninja master watching over it.
    If the assault team marches in under darkness, mediocre fighters that they are, they will be cut down by at least a quarter by the traps and the ninja. Then, they will be pelted by arrows. Since none of them have anti-archery skills, and dodging arrows in dense quarters is really hard, I'd say they'll lose at least another quarter. And if they do make it inside the village to start the slaughter, how will they respond to the villagers and the children? Slaughter them?
    This "simple plan"of theirs will backfire one way or the other. We really dug ourselves deep with that challenge to take the leader's head.

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Seeing as their women carry bows (as a self-defense measure against the pirates?), more likely they will be considered armed enemies and will get slaughtered. And the villagers are likely to consider our men to be the pirates, since they probably would not expect the pugilists to strike at night (and it would be hard to confirm otherwise due to low visibility). Both sides would be unlikely to notice that something is off about the situation until it will be too late.

So, yes, this is a shitty situation for everyone to be in. The scene is set for maximum carnage, with no way to settle things peacefully.

But I don't see how our challenge makes it worse. I'd say, if the situation is what I think it is, it no longer matters to anyone.

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Clearly, the right decision is C, death or glory!
    And too perfect to 'just be,' this smells of a setup.

^ Top  
  9. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    I am not sure that orthodoxies could even defeat them, even if they reach the village. I am pretty sure that at least men have more martial arts training than your average pirates, not to mention we don't know how many ninjas they have and we don't know good the lord is or his personal bodyguards are. Still whoever is the winner, still suffers maximum casualties.

As for our reputation in this whole affair? It will be hard both for us and orthodoxies to get pirates leader head with having ninja master guarding him and we don't know how good fighter the lord itself is. However, if we can avert this disaster, then surely the good rep outweighs the bad we get for failing our challenge. Then again getting peaceful end might not be possible, even if we have good charisma and speech skills.

^ Top  
  10. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    vote B
    Hell yeah, first true ninja in this LP.

^ Top  
  11. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I don't see how C would incapacitate us, I think either it would work or we would die. If it works, excellent, if we die... actually, I'm really interested in seeing what would happen if we die. Rewind? Reroll?

^ Top  
  12. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    I wonder if we would start over as another character, but I don't think that adjutant would be a choice then. At least we don't have same choices as we do now. If Treave decided to do that when we die, he would obviously have to change some major events. We still haven't been introduced roguebro and doctorbro could be retconned.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    More likely than not, we's continue as Scholarbro. Since he's on the island and all.

^ Top  
  14. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Voting B.

Not really.

We don't have to get the head of the pirate leader as long as the Songfeng disciples don't either. And if they are such poor fighters that they didn't stand a chance against us, how are they going to pull that off if we weren't able to? That challenge is only going to get them killed.

^ Top  
  15. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Well something is terribly off here. I'm starting to think these pirates aren't exactly pirates as we think of them. B

^ Top  
  16. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
  17. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    B
    There is more to the situation than we know.

^ Top  
  18. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  19. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    This is pretty weird actually, if I remember my history correctly a significant number of the Wokou pirates were not actually Japanese and were just an assortment of brigands from all nearby nations who took to piracy in troubled times. That would explain the families here, but I'm not sure about them if these guys are more or less homogeneously Japanese... I mean, maybe it's the case that they're brides like the friend we were supposed to be watching out for, but I vaguely remember that something from the update implied that to be unlikely. If this is a recent influx of pirates sponsored by Japan, one would think that they'd have left the family at home away from the risks unless they were intending to invade and make a home for themselves. But then, wouldn't there be an actual army sent, not a bunch of ragtag pirate families? I'm still sticking to my vote for C because obviously something's going to go horribly wrong here with that option and I don't want to be responsible for that goofing, but I really hope that B clears this up when it wins.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What's even more odd is that they are/were attempting to farm here. This implies that they are settlers, more than anything else.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
  22. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    It's the ninja that does it. I'm sure. This Bandwagoning is really impressive. :hero:

^ Top  
  23. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    No, the farming part is fine, they've got to eat and some agriculture is a good idea to make stores of food last longer. That's not what's strange about this. One question raised is whether they made the village or took over it.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    No, the farming part is not fine, it is definitely strange. China is a big and powerful country, and the pirates can only afford to hit its shores if they are sure they can escape retaliation. Remember, we were planning to burn their ships because we were sure they'd try to get away. But a patch of fertile land is not something that you can just leave and hope to find somewhere else. These guys aren't nomads, they are settlers - they can't run away, they have too much to lose.

If you can grow food to feed yourself, why would you risk retaliation when you can not pack your things and move away in a matter of minutes, and when there is no impressive military force to defend yourself with? If you are not afraid of retribution, why would you grow anything instead of raiding the shores for food supplies? It does not add up.

And one more thing. If these guys were pirates, the last thing they would want is for their village to be discovered by someone from the lands they've raided. Yet the man we encountered offered to let us go, as if he thinks there is no reason for us to bring reinforcements and invade. He thinks that we are neutral parties in all of this, and that we can part ways peacefully. This is not how raiders behave.

^ Top  
  25. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    China is a big country, but it is not presently one that has its shit together. There's the chance of retaliation, but certainly not from the government-- you'll notice that the guy who was supposed to take care of them didn't really do much of anything, even to send the expeditionary force any sort of aid. It's also probable that the land of that island isn't particularly fertile, and that they are farming it in an attempt to get whatever food is possible out of it in addition to their raiding efforts instead of solely depending on it. With a large enough number of pirates, it's rather impractical to think that a little island could support them, especially considering that the resultant crops are rather likely to be pretty dodgy. I think that their default is stealing food and they grow some crops to supplement it. You'll also notice that Jing mentioned 'attempts' to farm the land-- nothing is growing that's edible as far as he could see, there were just furrows in the ground.

Pirates can also operate pretty flagrantly and openly when they don't think there's a force big enough to crush them, and given the sad state of China's government, I don't think that they're too afraid of an attack from the navy. It's clearly been common knowledge for a while as to where exactly the pirates live.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.