Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    It's Master Zhang's long lost little brother!

^ Top  
  2. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    I have to note that according to the abbot's logic, if we win with A, then we have proven ourselves worthy of bearing the Xiaoming Jiuyang Divine Skill as well. If we share the responsibility for his martial art by joining his trial, then we not only share the punishment, but also the reward.

That's a huge potential reward.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    But clearly only one of those 2 options is right... And I'm not ready for another 50/50 vote :D

^ Top  
  4. profreshinal Arcane

profreshinal
    treave how does this defeat someone in combat without injuring them work? brush them off untill they get exhausted and give up, gently put them lying on the floor, a sort of tournament area you can't leave?

B

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    ^ Top  
  5. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    A1

I'm convinced it's best to fight now. It'll be a tough fight and really badass with enough danger to be sure it counts, as with the Operation: Immortal and the 100 Man Match. I'm very doubtful of Xuxian's chances to win otherwise, and I'm thinking that a match against the head abbot in a match where he's not trying to kill us is some very good practice against high-level foes before some very important battled we have to face.

^ Top  
  6. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Absinthe is right. We came here to learn the Xiaoming Jiuyang Divine Skill. This is the way to do it.

As for the appropriate choice. I think we can defeat the Abbot, and I think we can defeat the big gang attack. The question is what can Xuxian beat without harming anyone?

I don't think he has the control necessary to defeat the group of monks without causing them harm, and the Abbott is much more durable and should be able to take whatever Xuxian can dish out. Since both of these tasks are of relatively the same difficulty, if any of the A choices has a chance of working, it will be A2.

So I'm going to flop to A2>B

^ Top  
  7. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    I'll vote A2 also. I think Jing would have to go balls-out crazy to take on the abbot, and then we would fail the trial because even if we win we clearly harmed him. At least dismantling a formation can be done safely by Jing, and Jing has experience against formations while Xuxian would probably be overwhelmed. At the same time Xuxian's higher inner strength and resilience gives him a much better chance of taking on the abbot relatively peacefully, plus he has experience against the abbot.

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can hurt but not harm. Causing pain is okay, minor cuts and bruises are still alright, but anything more serious is out. At least, you cannot do anything with killing intent, which does downgrade your more powerful claw moves. At this level, the fighters will usually have the skill to recognize when it has become a fight they cannot win without resorting to lethal moves, and stand down accordingly.

^ Top  
  9. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    It's a good thing we have Rank 9 Palms plus our Wuying Leipo Kick.

Also, treave, can we use Diving Eagle Grip on these monks or would we be crippling and harming them?

^ Top  
  10. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    Given what you're saying you seem to be much more pro A1 than A2.

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Depends on how well you think you can hold back. The original Eagle Claw Fist would be highly suitable - though the Eighteen Arhats would probably have seen it a million times by now - but Zhang Jue's variant... eh, just have to be more careful, I suppose. I can't say how it'll play out until it does.

^ Top  
  12. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    But we can use the original Eagle Claw Fist, right?

Even if they've seen it, locking them down with a good LEECH should be viable. Huh, wait, treave, can we manage Cao'er's variant of the Diving Eagle Grip? And how would that affect our qi leech if we use their pressure points?

^ Top  
  13. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, why not. Go on. Blame me if it fails.

A2>A1

^ Top  
  14. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Uh, how exactly?

I think Jing can accomplish either task. Both of these tasks are of relatively equal difficulty. I don't think Xuxian is capable of fighting the group without causing them harm which results in both of us immediately failing the trial. I think the Abbott is solid enough to take Xuxian's blows. Xuxian may or may not be able to defeat the Abbott however. But then he may not be able to defeat the group of monks either. But since fighting the group of monks has a greater chance of causing injury, A2 is a superior choice to A1

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You don't remember the original moves, they're too smoothly integrated into the Diving Eagle Grip. You can only use the Diving Eagle Grip in a less lethal manner.

And when I say they've seen it, I mean that they probably know exactly how to counter the Eagle Claw Fist itself. I mean, seeing as they're supposed to be a challenging trial for Shaolin disciples up to master-level and all. This is including pressure points and every other common trick. They are eighteen highly skilled fighters, not a bunch of mooks. Draining qi would work but holding off the other seventeen at the same time is the tough part.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    A2.
    treave can we use WQS to determine the movement pattern of the formation and find a way to defeat it without actually copying it? Would they suspect that we possess WQS in such a situation?

^ Top  
  17. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    That's what I'm saying, Smashing Axe. A1 is fighting the Abbot while A2 has you fighting the formation so I think you got them switched up.

^ Top  
  18. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    And I think he will be scared shittles in Abbot fight = he hurts him

^ Top  
  19. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    A2 is us fighting the group, Xuxian fighting the Abbott. We don't do it together.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If you don't demonstrate the moves, they won't notice it by mere sight, but if there's any monk among them that's skilled at reading qi, he's going to catch on to there being something off with your qi the moment you try it.

^ Top  
  21. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Also another question; does Xuxian have to actually defeat the opponent(s) or is the point of the trial to use the maximum of his abilities without inflicting harm on anyone and comply with Shaolin principles?

So our qi "flares" while we are reading the skill too instead of only when using it?

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    He should be able to defeat them, or at least make them acknowledge defeat, while not harming them (too much).

Your qi changes when you read.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Eh, if our fight against Fu Xia has taught us anything, it's that our reflexes and instincts with our Diving Eagle Grip are to cripple and maim our opponents, so using it on the monks would be a bad idea.

Good thing we still have plenty of other moves plus experience dismantling formations. Wuying Leipo Kick should be a formation buster, since most formations are crap for controlling the aerial field.

^ Top  
  24. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    Wow, I failed to read that well, thanks for pointing that out!

I still think that, as a monk trained with Shaolin techniques and other relatively orthodox stuff from his new master, Xuxian's moves are as a whole less fatal than Jing's. So long as he applies enough strength to one of them the formation should fall apart...

Jing is very damaging with his moves, taking on the Abbot gives a sturdy opponent to properly face who won't be terribly injured or maimed by the moves we have that are capable of cutting through that golden vest defensive skill.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Yes, but when we cut through that Golden Vest defensive skill with our White Tortoiseshell Breaker, we will also seriously harm him and fail the trial. Seriously, ZJ moves are not designed for peaceful takedowns.

At least Xuxian can oppose the abbot normally using his own massive neigong.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.