Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Lyric Suite's own Sekiro corner

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
God this boss made me rage so much. I was running around the puzzle rooms trying to lure these little fuckers but they were never to be found there. I killed the invisible one by sheer luck - same as LS - and the orange one but after an hour of chasing after the green and blue I finally watched a video.

People say I'm patient but that day my monitor was THIS close to fly out of my closed window.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
God this boss made me rage so much. I was running around the puzzle rooms trying to lure these little fuckers but they were never to be found there. I killed the invisible one by sheer luck - same as LS - and the orange one but after an hour of chasing after the green and blue I finally watched a video.

People say I'm patient but that day my monitor was THIS close to fly out of my closed window.

I think i lucked out a great deal by finding the green one right next to the bell.

I actually kinda of liked it. Ever since Bed of Chaos FromSoft seems to have gotten a bit better with making those kind of encounters as nothing they did since compares that to travesty.

Andnjord

Arcane

I think i lucked out a great deal by finding the green one right next to the bell.
It’s one of his default spots on his path. Sooner or later he will stand there ready for you to ring his bell.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I see I'm far from the only one who never needed to figure out what those rooms were. I ran around the arena afterwards, thinking that this looks like the skeleton of a cool boss, shame I never had to figure it out. This fight is just badly designed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I see I'm far from the only one who never needed to figure out what those rooms were. I ran around the arena afterwards, thinking that this looks like the skeleton of a cool boss, shame I never had to figure it out. This fight is just badly designed.
I do like the general idea, unlike many I love gimmick bosses, just think it needed a bit more polish, the final 10% to drag it over the finish line. As it stands it's way too loose. There should be more reliable ways to get those fuckers where they can be got, instead of just praying they don't get spooked for once and decide to wander there on their own.

P.S.: I hasten to add I did this boss a day or two after the game was released and IIRC they tuned it and patched it since then quite a bit. So if I play the game now it could actually be tollerable.

Last edited:
P.S.: I hasten to add I did this boss a day or two after the game was released

You were THAT good on first run? That's pretty impressive to me. Must've been at least over a month before I even reached this part. Butterfly hag alone took me about a week to kill.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
P.S.: I hasten to add I did this boss a day or two after the game was released

You were THAT good on first run? That's pretty impressive to me. Must've been at least over a month before I even reached this part. Butterfly hag alone took me about a week to kill.
A week? Without a pause? :lol:

And yeah, just checked my post history in the Sekiro thread and it was 2 days after the launch. I guess I played a lot back then :oops:

A week? Without a pause? :lol:

Obviously not. I don't bash my head against bosses for hours. I do about 20-30 minutes of trying them then it's break time. Usually couple of these sessions a day, then fuck it, done until next day. I was so fucking shit at this game on first run I would literally feel like I'm playing something relaxing when I would switch to Starcraft II ladder during breaks between boss attempts. I only stopped trying to play Sekiro like Souls near the very end of playthrough, dodging and jumping around like a moron for majority of game. At least grandma taught me that I could just mash LB during spammy attacks so Centipede minibosses were easy mode even then. But pretty much every other boss/miniboss would kill me many times.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Immortal Kombat ~
Alright, let the massive lore dump commence!

To find the Holy Grail, erm, i mean the Mortal Blade.

Blue! No..wait-AHHHHHHH!

The fact i cannot die is the reason i need this thing in the first place. Get on with it!

Hoooo, what's this now? A new weapon? Gib sword now, plox:

What? What's with this gaze shit just hand it over kid!

Hooo, i can already feel the power!

Erm, oh, right:

I swear, this has never happened to me before! Just give me a few moments, i was just overcome by the awesomeness and fainted!

Right, the kid doesn't know. I never knew resurrection looked this cool, is this what all the enemies in this game have been seeing since i started playing?

The kid stands in awe of my power, but soon realizes what is happening:

I guess in this world, you don't die twice if you touch mortal blades:

Ho hell yeah baby!

Ho, tears are definitely streaming down my face, tears of joy that is.

It's now time for lore i guess. Now that the kid has realized i serve the Divine Heir of the Dragon's Heritage, he wishes to know why i sought the Mortal Blade:

Like Kuro, this kid is quick in catching on:

A dint of amusement crosses his face:

I was actually thinking the monks had used the power of the Great Serpent to create a surrogate or a parody of the power of the Dragon. I don't know the relationship between the Dragon and the Serpent and what kind of entity the latter is compared to the first (as i said, in Shinto spiritual or divine entities like to assume "forms" when they appear on earth, so i assumed both the Serpent and the Dragon are just "forms" of altoghether different kind of entities). The Old Hag spoke of a "dry" fruit of the Great Serpent as opposed to the "fresh" one which was the shedded skin she was pointing at. This "dry" fruit must be none other than the grotesque parody of immortality the monks seem to have found.

But what of this child? He speaks of the "children" of the Rejuvenating Waters, but where are the others?

Yeah i've seen the graves. I can see why Kotaro was driven mad.

Before leaving, apparently he has something else he can offer me:

I came here for the Mortal Blade, but sure, i'll take all the help i can get. What else can you do?

Rice? What am i supposed to do with this?

Why do i get the feeling he made some power up because as a fake Divine Child he doesn't actually have any? Lmao.

Anyway, i better take this to the Old Hag. By talking to him some more i think i can get it back whenever i need to, so it's time to leave.

So i open the door and find myself back to the big temple. I turn around for a second and i see some loot i managed to miss somehow despite the fact i made a whole sweep of the house before talking to the kid:

On a whim, i decide to see what happens if i return to the Hall of Illusions after all:

This poor guy came here to find peace and quiet and i'm ruining everything by barging in like a tourist, heh. Don't worry dude, i'll leave in a moment just let me look around one more time. As i take a better look at the place now that there's no monkeys, i find something i hadn't seen before:

From the message, i half expected opening the door would just erase this entire illusion:

Turns out it was just another of those rooms i was supposed to lead one of the monkeys to, in this case, the "seeing" monkey:

So basically i just came here to waste time. Time to move on then.

Upon returning to the temple, and to my great disappointment, i now discover the Gift of Tears doesn't actually replace my old sword. Apparently, all it does is give me a new weapon art:

And i guess it has the ability to put down those unkillable zombies once and for all. Kinda of lame to be honest, all that build up just for this. I go try it on the easier zombies, the ones that just vomit bugs, and the weapon art is cool enough i guess:

But it took me a while to figure out how i to use it to make sure those bastards didn't get up again. Eventually, i realize after the first deathblow, i get a second one which is when i get the chance to use the Mortal Blade:

I guess all in all it's a bit better than what i actually originally expected, I.E., some stupid inventory knife that just gave my own sword the power to kill those zombies. Ho well.

Much more interesting, even though i'm not sure how useful it's really going to be, is the new Ninjutsu ability. As soon as i got it, i instantly had a perfect target to try it on, the Raiden guys outside the temple that were standing back to back, and i'm pretty sure FromSoft put those guys here precisely for this:

Cool ability. At first i thought it was going to be totally useless but it does have a few situational uses. And i'm pretty sure they put those guys here back to back precisely to showcase this new skill lol.

It's pretty cool conceptually, but i question its actual usefulness compared to the other Ninjutsu ability. That is, unless they put more situations like this that are basically begging you to use it.

Alright, time to finish up this area. Before entering the cave, i spot a grappling point and looking up i think i already found my next destination:

As i turn around, i find some loot that was just waiting for me:

The fact i almost missed this makes me go on another sweep of this big temple, especially now those Raiden guys are gone. I find nothing, but after all this time i finally recognize this. It's the damn Ashina Castle man i'm dumb:

So after resting i now make my way inside that cave. After politely asking a wondering monk to step aside:

I now come face to face with those stupid clawed dudes that throw fire at you. There's a bunch of them and i need to actually dance around their damn fire not to get caught. While i'm doing that, i spot what i believe is some kind of passage:

I quickly dispatch the last one:

And at the end of the tunnel i find what appears to be an impasse:

Ok, i guess i gotta go down that hole i just saw:

Crawling my way to it, i find one of those guys with his back turned against me, not sure why:

After killing him, i emerge in a wider cave. At the end of it, i find two shrines that are similar to the ones i spotted from above. I guess i could have just dropped from there. No matter, in front of me there's another tunnel:

After picking up some stupid Mibu Balloon, i find myself in front of a ledge:

And after climbing on top of it, i see there's a couple of those filthy immortal zombies on each side in a very narrow space. I curse under my breath as i instantly assume it's all centipede dick guys. Nothing i can do but just walk into this rape party. To my relief the zombie guys don't even notice me. All i see is a bunch of those stupid claw guys:

Fighting them in such a confined space takes a bit of work and they finally force me to step on their fire which takes a ton of health away but i prevail in the end.

I'm now in front of an entire row of those zombie dudes and they are all frozen into position. Hitting them is like hitting inert matter:

At the end of this whole row, i come face to face to what i initially assumed to be an NPC, but apparently he is frozen too:

I'm now at a loss of what to do next, when i finally see it:

I climb up and i see i have reached that padoga i had seen from afar:

I check around and it seems this is the end of the road, so without further ado, i open the thing:

What could it be? My pessimist side says it's another pointless upgrade mat, or a Mibu Balloon lmao. Probably a Prosthetic Tool? They are usually found in such temples. Turns out it's an entire skill book!

Now that was unexpected!

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I see I'm far from the only one who never needed to figure out what those rooms were.

Ho, it's obvious what they are. What isn't obvious is how you are supposed to lure those monkeys there. When i only had the "seeing" monky left, he just kept making the same round over and over. Perhaps if you manage to stay in their heels long enough the AI finally makes its way in one of those rooms? Only thing i can think of.

Andnjord

Arcane
About the stupid claw guys, now that you’re done dealing with them I can tell you that they’re actually piss easy: you can jump-deathblow them even out of stealth and standing right in front of their faces, that’s what they get for always crawling around.

Found that out when jumping over the fires and suddenly seeing the deathblow icon appear over them.

Never say that codex bros don’t have each other’s backs. :salute:

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For what's it worth I've NEVER ever seen anyone using most of these rooms and I've watched tons of tubes and streams since the release. Even though their purpose is indeed obvious. Everyone was just winging it, just chasing the monkeys around until they got lucky.

Later on most people clearly watched speedruns and learned to do it quickly and efficiently, again not utilizing the rooms for the most part.

Hmm, maybe it's worth trying to look around if there are any guide/tips videos about how to do this "properly".

Andnjord

Arcane
For what's it worth I've NEVER ever seen anyone using most of these rooms and I've watched tons of tubes and streams since the release. Everyone was just winging it, just chasing the monkeys around until they got lucky.

Later on most people clearly watched speedruns and learned to do it quickly and efficiently.

Hmm, maybe it's worth trying to look around if there are any guide/tips videos about how to do this "properly".
For what it’s worth, on my first playthrough I killed the hearing and seeing monkeys the “proper” way, randomly sneaked on the speaking monkey by pure chance and randomly killed the invisible one while fighting the ghost monkey adds after running around confusedly for a good 10 minutes after killing the other three.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, it just has dawned on me the Child of the Rejuvenating Waters may be a girl lmao.

I can't tell to be honest. Those holy children all look the same.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
And speaking of the monkey boss, it's kinda funny that the monkeys are a "major" boss at that. You can fight them again in the Remnant Memory, but once you figure out the puzzle, why would you?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
About the stupid claw guys, now that you’re done dealing with them I can tell you that they’re actually piss easy: you can jump-deathblow them even out of stealth and standing right in front of their faces, that’s what they get for always crawling around.

This would have been useful to know in that stupid cramped cave where i got scorched.

There's still some stuff i need to learn about this game. For instance, i have yet to figure out how that Mist Raven prosthetic works. I tried a couple of times and i'm not sure i get it. It only works when you time it with a dodge, but if you can pull off a Mist Raven why not just dodge then.

I should also try to vary my playstyle a bit and not get locked into using the same abilities or tools constantly.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Can you fly, Bobby? ~
Press F to pay respects, you heartless motherfuckers. :salute:

Alright, it's time to get out of this temple with all those depressing corrupt monks and dirty dicks or what have you. First off, let's take this rice thing to the Old Hag:

Now i have no idea what the voice actress was trying to do here. She starts making what appears to be meditation noises, but the captions say she is munching the rice and then apparently she has fallen asleep. Well, if the game says so. While sleeping, she now chants this nonsense:

While i'm wrapping my brain around this, i take another look to what she was pointing at earlier. If the Blackhat Badger wants to fly there with the kite i assume i should be able to do the same too.

Before going to see what my racoon buddy has to say about this (i think i have an idea already but it seems a little crazy so i'm not sure), i went to visit the child whom apparently was a girl the whole time, but she says the "harvest" isn't ready yet and she can't give me any more rice. Not sure if i lost this item forever or if i just have to wait a while.

Either way, i go talk to my racoon friend, making a brief stop to Kotaro to see if something changed in his dialog. Nope, he still wants me to "spirit" him away, whatever that means. No option to send him over the polite merchant yet. Not sure if i'll get it down the line or if maybe i had to give him the Red and White Pinwheel for that option to become available. Can you lock yourself out of some quests by chosing others in this game? Only way to find out is to keep playing i guess.

So i get to the racoon dude, and tell him what the old crone said to me, and he basically spells it out:

You can't?

Yeah i guess it was kind of obvious this is what she was talking about but i'm disappointed the game doesn't let you mull it over for a while before basically handing you the answer. Alright, time to bend the little guy to my will:

Hahaha, this was kinda of funny. Alright, so what's the plan now:

It's cool ain't it?

Don't worry, Wolf doesn't say much on the outside besides his sardonic ellipsis but on the inside he thinks this shit is hysterical.

No problem bro, see ya later. You still own me that skill text i didn't get a chance to buy, don't forget.

Now in most FromSoft games, you can usually just advance a quest by resting or traveling and talking to the NPC again, but i've always preferred doing something else to make it look like some time has actually passed so i'll come back to see if he managed to fly across the ravine later.

So first off, i need to spend some skill points as i got a ton. I check out that new esoteric text i looted but it doesn't seem that interesting. I pick the first skill out of necessity, some kind of combat art:

There's a skill that increases drop rate of sens and items which is completely pointless and then an upgrade to the combat art i just picked. Not sure if it's there anything good down the line i'm guessing more kung fu oriented skills or combat arts. I guess this is more about flavor than anything else so for now i'll leave it at this.

Next, i pick the following two skills:

I'm getting a ton of milage out of that shuriken + sword swipe combo and i think adding a similar follow up to the other prosthetics could be fun as well. The Spear and Axe are situational weapons but they are pretty much mandatory when the need arises so it's going to be nice to have a follow up attack. As for the Umbrella, since my next stop after this is the Sunken Valley and i know for a fact i'm going to face those Okami women sharpshooters i think it's going to get some use as well. In fact, i then decided to pick the next upgrade for the prosthetic itself:

While here, i'm given the option to give the Monkey Booze to the Sculptor but i haven't given Emma anything to drink yet and i'm curious to get some of her backstory. I'm not sure if it makes a difference what kind of drink you give to who, but i haven't seen any hints in this reguard so i'm going to have to go blind on this. So i gave her the booze:

And she almosts chokes to death lmao:

Ho shit did i make a mistake? She knew what it was though and still took it so it's her fault don't look at me. As i suspected, each "kind" of booze opens up a different kind of memory, as she now starts prattling about monkeys:

Oh?

Ok, maybe it was a mistake to give her the Monkey Booze after all.

Actually, to think of it i do. I mean i just had a spat with a monkey wearing a kimono and spectacles so why shouldn't i believe this? By all means, do go on:

Keep going.

Wolf tries to suggest maybe it was an ape. Maybe this is another localization problem, as i'm not sure why he would say this given there's no difference? Anyway:

What a nice "monkey", hey?

100% it was the Sculptor. You ain't fooling me game. I'm also sure Wolf trying to suggest it was an "ape" rather than a "monkey" relates to some meaning inherent in the Japanese word for "ape" that doesn't translate, something that would suggest this is a person, not a literal monkey.

Anyway, time to report to Kuro about the Mortal Blade:

Yes, it is, the Mortal Kombat Blade:

I then tell him about the Child of the Rejuvenating Waters:

He is perplexed at my mention of there being another "Divine Child", so i explain the corruption of the monks in the Senpou Temple, and the grotesque and deviated means by which they sought to obtain immortality which ended up greating this parody of the Dragon's Heritage:

He is confused at my mention of there being Divine "Children". I have to reveal the full extend of the monstrosity committed by the monks:

More like hundreds, judging from the number of graves i've seen there. For Kuro, this only reinforces his belief reguarding the dangers of this power of resurrection:

Indeed.

It's time to report to Isshin as well now. He sees the sword, and inquires if the "rumors" were true, so i explain to him that indeed they were:

He infers only one such as myself, one possessing the power of resurrection, can wield the sword then. I explain to him what happened to me when i attempted to draw the blade from its sheath the first time:

He then says something that is very disturbing to me:

The undying? Ho no, no no no no.

Does Isshin know something about this?

With a heavy heart, i now brace myself to peform a task i knew was inevitable but had forgotten:

Nooooo, not the friendly zombie guy. :cry:

He asks what kind of sword it is. I have no choice but to tell him that it is the Mortal Blade:

I knew this day would come but i still don't feel ready for it. At the last second, i have a sudden change of heart:

The way the voice actor says "no" a second time is heart-wrenching. Doesn't translate in a screenshot, but you know what it is:

:cry:

He acquiescences, but i can see the pain in his eyes, and asks me to do him this favor if i ever change my mind:

I now come to the realization that this has to be. I can see the pain this curse has inflicted on him, and i'm doing him no favor by allowing him to endure this torment for eternity. Regretting my moment of weakness, i now steel myself and approach him again:

With firm determination, i tell him i agree. To live like this, to see yourself rot every day, it is not a fate befitting a warrior!

After thanking me for my decision, he asks for a merciful quick death:

Of course!

Sekijo sounds so close to Sekiro i just couldn't wait but had to google it:

"Sekiro stands for “One Armed Wolf” Sekijou stands for One Armed Shojo, a yokai or spirit of sorts which has been over time associated with the orangutan, thus meaning “One Armed Orangutan“"

I know i said i was going to do this blind, but since this is about a word play that would make sense for a Japanese person but cannot be translated, i figured the game wasn't going to tell me about it and i wouldn't have known this any other way. So Sekijo is the Sculptor's "shinobi" name, probably given to him by Isshin. This all confirms that the "monkey" in the memory of Emma was the Sculptor after all. I go talk to the Sculptor about this, but he has nothing to say unfortunatly.

To "simulate" some passing of time in the proper way, i go check out if my racoon buddy made it accross the ravine after all. Apparently he is still there. Now i'm a bit confused. I got check the kite mechanism, but the rat dude isn't there anymore:

I go talk to the old hag again, but she keeps saying the same thing. I glance towards the snake skin once more, there has to be a way to do this, right:

I figured maybe the racoon guy hasn't left because there's that monk looking over the collapsed bridge. So i kill him, but nothing chances. After wrecking my brain for longer than i want to admit, and going back and forth between the kite mechanism, the racoon guy, and the old crone, i finally see it lol:

You motherfuckers lmao:

Ok, time to do this. Weeeee:

I land on a ledge and loot one of those illusion dispelling consumables. Aside for Lady Butterfly, i haven't found further use of them but i guess something up ahead will force me to pop a few. Time to make the next jump yoooooo:

Ayyyeee:

After this Tarzan shit, i finally make it. Fuck you game:

I'm pretty sure this is the closest i've ever gotten to the skybox in this game:

I now finally see the racoon dude:

Ye ye can you open shop again? You still own me a skill text.

I ask him if has done what he was supposed to do here. He says yes. I glance at those statues he is facing and Wolf asks him whose "grave" is this. So that's what those things are. He replies by telling me this is the tomb of his son:

He explains further:

Was his son one of the victims of the monks as well?

Now somehow i knew this was coming, but instead of opening up shop here, he says he is now moving back to Ashina. Fine, fine, i'll see you there. He leaves with a word of warning about Ashina being overrun by rats. Like i didn't know that already.

Until next time then dude. I now continue to follow this path, and end up on another impasse:

Of course, i had to try lol:

Predictably, it didn't end well. I guess the significance of this is that whenever i come across that bridge while traversing the Sunken Valley, i'll likely have an encounter with that big snake.

Alright, i think i've been postponing this long enough. Time to keep my promise. On my return, it seems Hanbei has indeed made all the preparations he needed for his final journey:

Wonder if the game will revail who is he talking about here:

He says no more than this, so i ask him if he really wants to go through with it:

I still esitate for a brief second, but it has to be now or never:

With one fluid motion, i deliver my merciful killing blow, and the horrific extend of what the curse was doing to him is now finally revealed:

Upon dying, he drops this. I wonder how many times he tried to use it:

So long friendly trainer zombie guy, and i hope you were able to fly straight to Buddhist heaven. You were my first guide in this game's combat system, and you will always have a spot in my heart. :salute:

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw yes, there are branching paths of some side quests, if you take one, you close others.

Do they close though or are they just left "hanging" indifenitely?
Not sure what you mean but you can, say, send a certain person to two different places. If you send him to place X you can't send him to place Y and vice versa and each place is tied to different fates for that person and different rewards.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What i mean is, say i could have send Kotaro to the merchant to help him with his quest had i given him the Red and White Pinwheel, but now i can't because i gave him the White Pinwheel. Is the merchant just going to repeat the same line that he is looking for a big and strong guy until the end of the game or will the game let me know i "failed" a quest because i picked a different option?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom